New
Find
Notify
Tools

which Swede
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Blond, brunette, redhead-Tikka, CZ, Ruger. These three rifles all cost about the same in wood,blued configuration. I have handled a Tikka, own Rugers and CZ's. Which should I get in 6.5x55? I have some biases, but would like to hear what others think about these rifles. The CZ will have to be the American, as I can't afford the full stock.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the above. If you are going to buy a Swede than buy a Swede. Husqvarna 1600 or 1900 series or a Carl Gustaf 1900 or 3000

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 550 Full Stock in 6.5x55. It's very accurate with my 140gr handloads. IMHO, it is hard to beat the CZs for value.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
joe,go to simpson ltd. they have a huge selection of huskys ,sorry i cant do the link

..paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Carl Gustaf and the Ruger 77 MKII, the M96 is sporterize, new BBL. cock on open kit. Sunny hill bolt shroud, and new trigger, I like the M96 the best.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have a Muaser. Like the caliber, and looking for a different platform.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kebco.and he put it so well,sweed meet sweed.
The CZ550 would also be a good choice they are highly accurate with the right handloads.
I would still try to find a Husky 1900 in your price range first..
also you might consider a post war converted 6.5x257jap.They are very close ballisticaly to the 6.5x55 and most of the time cheaper.

This opption should be considered ONLY if you reload.Since you will be making your brass as well.

As far as accuracy goes My jap is extremely accurate with 140gr.bullets and just as deadly to critters from deer sized down.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the barrel twist alone.. I can tell you that the Ruger has a one in 8 twist... which is much better for stabilizing the heavier bullets and Is long throated like the Military Mausers were...and is on a LONG action...

The CZ is a nice rifle, but they were using a one in 9 twist the last time I checked.. which is spotty on stabilizing bullet weights over 129 grains...

I own a Ruger, a Mauser and a Custom Barreled Model 70...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ have a single set trigger...mo betta for precision work.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ, but I'm biased. Every one I have owned/own shoots great.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Seafire, FYI, I just checked to be sure and yes the CZ's are 8.6, ironically Chris at Pac-Nor was supplying someone overseas-never said who, but barrels in either 8.5 or 8.6, I don't know if it was just for test barrels or if he was being looked at supplying some or what, but it seems some rifles compromise between the original 7.5/8 twist and what Rem/Howa/ and Browning has done with slower twist. I am with you though, like the 8's or even 7.5. I would think the CZ will do for many weights, definitely somewhat faster/better in my mind than Rem and other 9's.

Just thought I'd chime in on the latest spec's published. Dang shame it isn't cut and dry like other calibers, perhaps the Saami does not apply to European derived ctg's? I seem to think there might be a European standardization on ammo/etc.?

Set triggers are nice-my #1 Ruger has a Kepplinger and when used, it's sweeeeeeet. Husky would be nice, shame they are not more commonly seen, not in my area anyway. If Ruger comes out in the new Stainless Hawkeye in 6.5x55 I will have one on order asap.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul J A I tried googling Simpsons Limited and various other searches and I can't find anything. Any search I try with Simpson in it gets a thousand results for "the Simpsons" TV show.
Can you try to post a link? or at least type the link out ?
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What accuracy are people getting from there Ruger 6.5x55's and how much extra fps can you get generally due to the stronger actions over the military M96 swedes as some say the round is loaded lower to compensate for the lack of the theird lug on the m96 mauser.

Could it say out class the 25/06 for the same bullet weight in a modern action ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, try going through MSN.com and type in Simpson Ltd. It should come up for you.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try simpsonltd.com

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
joe,gerominmo,s link is correct try it out sorry for the late reply.....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like all three rifles but am leaning a little more toward the CZ. I would be happy with any of the three rifles however. Since you haven't owned a Tikka yet, it might be the one to try. They usually shoot very well.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5 SWEDE:
I have both the Carl Gustaf and the Ruger 77 MKII, the M96 is sporterize, new BBL. cock on open kit. Sunny hill bolt shroud, and new trigger, I like the M96 the best.

thumbMe too. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
What accuracy are people getting from there Ruger 6.5x55's and how much extra fps can you get generally due to the stronger actions over the military M96 swedes as some say the round is loaded lower to compensate for the lack of the theird lug on the m96 mauser.

Could it say out class the 25/06 for the same bullet weight in a modern action ??

PC,

My Ruger 77 is very very accurate....

I haven't chronographed some older load data out of my Ruger that I did chrono out of my Mauser...

I don't load for a 25/06.. so I can't say what they are capable of for a reloader....

However, handloaded. y 260s easily tie the factory velocity of a 25/06 with 100 grain bullets and smaller...

The 120 grain Sierra Match gave me 3200 fps MV out of a 29 inch factory Mauser barrel.. with load data from a 1966 Speer Manual...

The Ruger is long throated on a long action...

hope that help.....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

PC,

My Ruger 77 is very very accurate....

I haven't chronographed some older load data out of my Ruger that I did chrono out of my Mauser...

I don't load for a 25/06.. so I can't say what they are capable of for a reloader....

However, handloaded. y 260s easily tie the factory velocity of a 25/06 with 100 grain bullets and smaller...

The 120 grain Sierra Match gave me 3200 fps MV out of a 29 inch factory Mauser barrel.. with load data from a 1966 Speer Manual...

The Ruger is long throated on a long action...

hope that help.....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Thanks sea fire.......................I am alsowondering if one opened the bolt face and ran a .264 win mag reamer up a Ruger swede you would have a cheap way of getting a .264 winnie in a sporter weight rifle, yeah I know the swede is sweet but just thinking about those long open plains we have here in NSW Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
I am alsowondering if one opened the bolt face and ran a .264 win mag reamer up a Ruger swede you would have a cheap way of getting a .264 winnie in a sporter weight rifle, yeah I know the swede is sweet but just thinking about those long open plains we have here in NSW Big Grin

thumbIf the magazine is long enough go for it. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote