New
Find
Notify
Tools

So how many do you load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I have been to the range and found what I believe to be a sweet shooting load that is not close to max. capacity, with Win 748 in 223. How many do fellows load up when you run a batch of brass?
I've talked with some guys that have 400 of their favorite loads ready to go.

I don' think that I'm going to shoot off that many 223's during gopher season here in Alberta.

How do you fellows judge how many you are going to make?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
once i got the load i buy 500 pieces of brass.
and load that by the time it needs annealing i need to change the load anyways.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
50-100 of my favorite load. Silly thing is, I take forever to figure out my favorite load!

My .257 Roberts though was easy. 117gr. SGK over 44.0 H4350 for 2,800fps. I keep about 50 of them loaded at all times.

My AR-15 was also easy. I'm a cheap SOB so when I found out that the MidSouth Varmint Extremes shot 1.25" groups at 200 yards with TAC, I went nuts and loaded 500. On the other hand it's REAL easy to burn 100 rounds at the range with that rifle.

The others? Danged if I don't keep screwing around with them. 4 rounds here, 6 rounds there. Can't quite settle on the .350RMag...I can't seem to get consistency at 200 yards. IMO, that's the sweet spot for me: find a consistently accurate load at 200 yards. Once I get that, I stop screwing around. I'd be happy with a consistent 3" group at 200yards with the .350...but I haven't gotten consistent.

My 7mm Mauser, nope. Not there yet. But it's still way too new to me.

It's all about consistency and predictability. as long as I KNOW what that load SHOULD group like, I'm happy. It's when it starts doing strange crap I get all buggy!

(And then I reach for the Bob or the AR and drop a 1.5" group at 200 and realize that sometimes it's actually NOT in my head!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i usually load whatever brass i have. good winter project, especially this year. so as a rule i end up with somewhere around 50,000 on hand in various calibers

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my highpower competition rifle I'll usually load in batches of 1000. For some of my varmint rigs I load batches of 500 or 1000. Depends on where I am going and when.
For target shooting/plinking 100 to 200 at a time.
For introducing people to shooting or taking "the kids" out shooting I try to keep a 1000 .223's available along with a few bricks of 22LR.
And hand gun ammo I try to do batches of 500 to 1000.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For varments I load up about 200-300.For hunitng about 50-60,if the load is in the sweat spot.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote