THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Help selecting a hunting bullet for the 243 Win?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help selecting a hunting bullet for the 243 Win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger M77 Mk II ultralight (20" barrel) that I am working on for my girls. I have a 2-7x35mm Burris on it in low rings and I have worked up some practice loads with Rem 80 gr. softpoints.

But, now I need to get some hunting loads together for the fall season. Since this rifle has a shorter barrel, and therefore limited velocity potential I was thinking about trying standard cup and core bullets such as the 105 gr Speer Hot-Cor and the 100 gr. Hornady Interlock. Some 95 gr. Partitions may be the way to go though.

The 243 is much smaller than any other caliber I have ever loaded for deer, so I want to make sure it does the job. If premium bullets are required (Partitions, TSX) then I will get some. I hear some folks claim DRT kills with Hollow-points in the 243, but that sounds too risky to me. I would prefer reasonable wound damage and complete pass-through (like my 30-06 does with 165 & 180 Speers or Hornadys).

What does this group recommend?

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerThe Nosler partition. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The partition would be an excellent choice. Check shootersproshop for Nosler seconds.

The Speer 105 grain has a reputation for toughness but I have not used it. I have been working on loading some Scirrocos for my 243 but at 50 cents a bullet that has been pricey---especially since they are sold only in 100 count boxes! The TSX has been great for me in larger calibers.

I think most people will tell you that the .243 requires some precision for deer or at least the passing of marginal shots. The better bullets will give you more room for error. That's probably particulary true since you will have less experienced shooters behind the gun.

Just get some partition seconds from Shootersproshop and don't look back.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A 100 gr spitzer and 4350 would work well, or if you want premium, the 85 gr Barnes TSX and varget or RL15.

Shot placement is what kills deer, not lots of lead. If I get a chance to take my daughter out deer hunting this year she'll be using her 221 fireball and 53 gr tsx.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the good old Sierra 100gr boattail and 36gr of IMR-4064. Never saw a 243 that would not shoot that load really well. Smaller volume of powder and easier on barrels with no sacrifice in velocity.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in GA:
...I have worked up some practice loads with Rem 80 gr. softpoints. ...
A retired Winchester Rep I know used the Rem 80gr PLHP in his 6mmRem M70 for all his Deer Killing, including his trips out West for Mulies. That is the "PLated Hollow Point" version and he told me he never needed more than one shot. Always seemed just a bit light for me.

My current 243Win Bambi Blaster is a 90gr Speer Hot-Cor and has Killed a bunch of Deer.

Most Bullets from 95gr-105gr will do the job. So will the 85gr Partition, which is the tiniest Bullet I've ever Killed Deer with.

So, you have lots of excellent choices. They just don't leave BIG Exits, if they leave one at all. So, if you have a guy with a Tracking Dog in the area, take the Dog some food, just in case. It would be really bad for the kids to loose a Deer.

Best of luck to you and the girls.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
My wife and I have killed a lot of whitetail deer with a 243. She has also used it for some big bodied mule deer and several antelope.

We used either a Ruger No1 or a Rem Mod 7 with an 18"bbl.

We always used either the Sierra 100gr Spz, or the 95gr Nosler Partition.

The 243 killed deer and antelope for us as good as any other caliber I have used or seen used.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the size of the deer you are dealing with down there I am sure that practically any of the heavier ( 90 grains and up) bullets will due. I am a Nosler partition guy so thats what I would use. Please dont try to shoot BIG deer with that little gun as your buddies will hate trailing deer all day

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Georgia
My ex wife shot several Deer (bucks) and a buck Antelope with her .243 before we parted company. Hers was a short barreled Win M70 Carbine (also 20" barrel) and we loaded Sierra 100 grain SPBT's in it all animals dropped at the shot but one and it went 50'or less. All times the bullets made an exit except one and that one travelled from chest to the back ham just under the skin recovered bullet weighed 87 grains. Our very accurate load was as I said a Sierra 100 grain SPBT, 41 grains of IMR-4350, CCI primer and WW brass. In her rifle it was very safe very accurate and utterly reliable. I would recommend this bullet for anyone hunting Deer or Antelope, very effective.
Good luck with the girls first year out, make it fun!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost any deer bullet above or at 85 grains wil perform just fine...

MVs from 2800 on out to 3300 depending upon bullet weight will also be just the ticket, for some long ranges...

in an ultra light, if you can bring in your range limit to say 200 yds, many of these bullets at just 2400 fps/MV will get the job done...

I got two kids doing their first deer hunt this year, both with rifles chambered in 243... for uniformity, I may end up carrying one also, instead of my 260, with a 100 grain bullet...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
If I get a chance to take my daughter out deer hunting this year she'll be using her 221 fireball and 53 gr tsx.

homerPaul,I've seen the size of the deer in Alaska and I agree! Even using a 22mag might be over guned. stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 100 grain hornady interlocks

Posts: 80 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Both of my 243s like the 85 grain Partition and so do I, so that's what I use in them for antelope and small deer.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12707 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Mark,

I believe your Georgia whitetails are about the same size as our Fallow and Whitetail here, around the 60 - 100 lb mark.

If so I have found Hotcores idea of the 90gr hotcore to be best but a friend also swears by the 95 gr BT at about 2800fps to do a good job also.

Anything from the 85gr up is a doozey and you don't have to use premiums unless tou really need to divest yourself of more cash quickly

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found a bunch of good bullets for the 243/6MM rifles. I have had good results ondeer with the 80 grain Remington PSP, The Sierra 100 grain Gameking, The 100 grain Hornady Interlok,Speers 105 grain spitzer, the 85 grain Sierra BTHP, The 100 grain Reminton PSPCL. Poorest performing bullet for me was the 100 grain Nosler Partition. Kills not so quick but got an exit hole. I am going to test some Nosler Solid base 100 grain bullets this year.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm working on loads for a .243 Striker with a 16" barrel and 1-9.25 twist. Savage used 95 grn bullets to test with so I'm using Nolser 95BT and Combined Tech 95 Silver Tips to test with. I ordered some 95 Partitions factory seconds that I will hunt with. So far 41 grns of IMR 4350 shows the best groups @ around 2450 fps.

I'm also interested in the Barnes 95 VLC. Anyone got any 243 Striker loads to share?

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always like the grand slams. i wish speer still loaded the nitrex.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark
100 grain or that 105 speer hot-core,i'd stick to spitzers myself,in premiums the tripple shock (tsx )has no peer imho. although the partitions nooooooo slough at all,regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Speer 105gr. SP is a good bullet in the 243 Win. Some of the powders that I have used are, H-4350, H-414, Win 760, hope you fine something that will work for her.

6.5 SWEDE

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Ruger 77 RS that just kills like the hammer of Thor,the trick to my rifle is 80-85-87 grain bullets,my ruger 77 is twisted 1:10,it shoots the 80 thru 87 grainers like a house of fire,it shoots the 100 grs. fair and the 105 grainers suck,I could shoot better groups with a 12 gauge and buckshot,I dont know if your ruger is the same twist rate,you might check that out,my rifle also loves any of the 4350 powders,but if your rifle has a shorter barrel you might use a little faster powder,my barrel is 22" long,I hope this info is helpful to you in your search to make the little 243 be all it can be,my 2 sense.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conventional lead-core bullets are frangible as it is. At high velocity they are worse. Invariably they shatter and make a mess. Behind the shoulder shots into the lungs or head-shots are basically all that should be considered with these bullets that shatter and lose momentum. I view this genre of bullet as essentially a varmint bullet and not a bullet for hunting - there are so many better choices of controlled expansion bullets.

At 2,960 fps (std factory velocity) you need a premium bullet of some sort. I would opt for a 90 gr Barnes TSX to maintain bullet integrity.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I don't reload so my only experience with premium .243 bullets was with the Nosler Custom ammo that used to be available loaded with 100 gr. partitions. They were very effective (deep penetration, perfect expansion) on small to medium sized whitetail.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would choose an 85gr TSX and never think twice about it.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark I hunt in north Georgia myself. I think that the Partition will do the job you are looking for with the perameters you have set. I personally use a 7mm08 & have used 140gr Ballistic tips at about 2700 to 2800 fps & Hornady 139gr SST's at 2400 -2500fps with DRT results at very close ranges. Not all of those passed thru though. That is why I suggested the Partition.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, after all is said and done, I am taking out two boys for their first deer hunts this fall...

They both will be carrying 243s, Ruger 77 Mk 2s..

The load will be 100 grain Rem Corelokts with a charge of 22 grains of Blue Dot for an MV about 2550 to 2600 fps ( I haven't chrony'ed them yet)....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Just about any bullet that is not considered a varmint bullet will work just fine for deer from a 243.Hornady interlock, speer, seirra, Nosler BT, Partition. Whatever as long as you place it where it is suppost to go they will die.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HotCore, It's "PowerLoktHollowPoint" and they would suffice quite well!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
FYI, I shot a 80 gr PLHP into a dirt bank point blank at around 3k, from a 600 rem, also 85 x bullet, the PLHP completely disintegrated, the x bullet was picture perfect.

Point is, the PLHP IS a deadly bullet, but you want to avoid heavy bone and go for lung shots, or neck if you can do it. Those will be very quick deaths, if you shoot bone, you want a little tougher bullet.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
If you can't shoot through the shoulders of a whitetail you must be shooting some elk sized deer..

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote