THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    222rem - The start of a love affair

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

222rem - The start of a love affair
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First off I owe some of you apologies, I've asked lots of .17 questions and then bought a 222! In my defence at least I've bought a set of Redding dies from one of you!

I took delivery of my newly glass bedded and trigger tuned little S491 Sako HB bought sight unseen (risky!)I think it might have been unfired. Not a trace of copper and no marking whatsoever on the bolt face.

A 7x50 meopta I previously had tops it off and a bunch of Norma, RWS and Sako ammunition bought from my gunsmith at trade is to be shot for fun and fireformed for reloading. A set of Redding bushing dies is ordered from Todd and I borrowed my pals Lee seater so that I can have some fun with the Sako cases which I know are loaded with 20gr VVN120.

The factory stuff all shoots less than an inch in windy conditions but the RWS goes .4 for 3 shots (twice). Back home I removed the Sako heads from 20 rounds, chamfered the mouths and seated 40gr Vmaxes .005" into the lands (some are reduced to check for pressure)

I go out and it's seriously windy, gusty from all directions. Recoil is much reduced from the 50gr loads. 3 rounds go into .4 of an inch. I adjust the sights and shoot a 5 round group trying to wait for calm periods. I shoot a .5" group which consists of a 3 round hole and a 2 round hole - the rest of the Sako heads are history.

I shoot some 200yard rabbits in a stiff wind. At first I miss for 4 shots aiming off far too much. Then I just 'favour' left and bingo.

The next night it's out with the lamp. I call a vixen in to 146yards and at the thought of shooting there's a flat crack and hollow thump. I actualy see the impact and the fox just dies there and then instantly. Very quiet and very efficient.

Nothing special for the 300yard merchants but very satisfying none the less. No exit and catastrophic entry wound to the shoulder (fragments on the inside of the entry side skin!)

I'm chuffed to bits with this rifle. No fuss it just seems to work, I'll be very interested to see what it can do with fireformed accurised cases, bushing dies and worked up loads. I hope 3,600fps is possible accurately.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 01-21-2002).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The .222 Remington is one of my senimental favorites. I wore the bbl out on a M-722 and then bought a M-700 in the same caliber. The M-700 was even better with it's comb made for a scope sight and it's shorter, ligher 24" bbl. I won a local bench rest match with the M-700. I remember that Marlin came out with a .222 later on a Sako action and it's micro groove bbl.

Back then I used the Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX bullets after they came out. I never killed a woodchuck over 295 yards as the limit of killing power was about right there. I suppose someone will do it at longer range but I loaded about 23 grs of Ball C and that was that.

It is not a deer cartridge. This is my opinion based on the fact that my deer hunting is days of freezing while seeing nothing and then a glimpse of a antler comes into view for a moment if I am lucky. That's not where a .222 or other small bullets are good.

<Patrick_D>
posted

Get out and do some more! My little Sako in .222 is my "reference" rifle. If I ever have questions to ask about myself or the rifle, I know I can eliminate the rifle from the equation if I use the .222.

Hold over about 5 inches at 300. Enjoy.

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post

Just got on to the board and read your post and wanted to find out whether you have had a chance to develop some other handloads for your 222. I have a 222 also and plan to try the 40 gr. vmax bullet with Benchmark or AA1680 powder.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately not. My dies got lost in the post and I'm waiting for the replacements. I have some H322 and XMR 2015 (used to be called AA 2015BR) so it looks as if our loads might be a bit different. I'm still using the VVN120 and it's still working very well. RWS and Sako factory is very good in it too.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have been using the .222 rem for most of our culling needs with the 50 grs Rem core lokt. I think as small bores go the .222 is a wonderful round and I use mine on a weekly basis. I have wanted to experiment with a local design called the Calhoun HP in 42 grs. But the vmax works really well on pests.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just shot a ferral tomcat sunday in the eye at 115 yds with my HvyBbl Vixen 222. Used 50gr SXSP with IMR 3031. No exit and one dead puddy tat. Really like this little round.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I have not bought any powder yet and in doing some more reading on this caliber l plan to try VVN120. XMR2015 and Benchmark. I have read that VVN120 and XMR2015 are clean burning powders so l might start with them.

Still waiting for a set of scope rings so in the meantime l have prepared some brass and trying to figure out which powder to try first.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I suggest you try some VVN-130 powder, with the 40gr. bullets. Greater loading density, resulting in better velocity/pressure curve. My 40XBR HV gets 3785fps with 40gr. ballistic tips. My Sako's get somewhat lower velocities....but then, they are true small actions.

Friend Of The 17......and 222
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H322 with Bruno 52 grain bullets and CCI primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both H-335 and H-4895 have worked beautifully for my with Speer 50 gr. TNT's (Sako pre-Garcia sporter). Also use Remington nickeled brass resized in a Lee Collet die. This is one clean way to load and shoot!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I topped my new Sako75 .222 with a Meopta 3-12x50 and I tried it out yesterday. Great fun, but I need to ask you guys a question...

The 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip made pretty lousy patterns (20mm) as compared to the Sierra 55gr Varminter (10-12mm), which surprised me somewhat.

People here seem to like light bullets, I like heavier ones (so what am I doing with a .222? :-) Well, since I plan to use the .222 for beaver (the animal) I think that some more weight in the bullet is appropriate. I will also use the 60gr Norma SP for roe deer.

So my question is: is it common that lighter bullets improve accuracy? Should I try some 40gr V-max or similar for pest control? Has anyone tried such loads in a Sako75 and are there hints for me from their experiments?

Anyway, I'm enourmously pleased with the Sako75 and the Meopta scope. It really gives me goosebumps, and I'm really no gun nut :-)

The gun gives a far more decisive feeling than its big brother in my gun cabinet, a Sako .308.

Regards
/HerrBerg

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After much debate and soul searching, I ordered a Cooper Model 21 Classic (LH) in .222 Remington. We don't have any high volume shooting here and the .222 seemed to "fit" the little rifle. I also didn't want something "everyone" owned. The case forming involved with some of the more interesting cartridges didn't appeal to me. A proven cartridge that should take one "variable" out of the accuracy equation.

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
HerrBerg,

I know there will be many out there who may disagree, but I don't know anyone who got the best results out of a .222 rem using 55 grain bullets. I know it's only a 10% difference, but I'd try 50 grains. I get fine results from Nosler BTs in my rifle - also a Sako 75.

Patrick