New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Lightning in 6.5x55?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I believe the moose gun I was hoping to build will have to be put on hold [Frown] as my 6.5 started throwing rounds wildly and some cases (Federal factory loads) showed excessive pressure. Looks like the barrel is on it's way out according to a nearby smith (and is visibly erroded). I've been doing some searching here and based on both field experience and praise from others, I decided to buy something new in 6.5 to replace my rifle (built on an old Mauser with synthetic stock, shortened barrel, no sights, Timney trigger) instead of ressurecting it, it's had a good life both in military service and in sporting service. I was disappointed to see the Winchester Featherweight price tag, as I had been wanting one since I became aquainted with the 6.5, but now I notice these beauty little Howa rifles which can be had complete with a new scope for less. Synthetic stock (a plus in my climate) and standard features, decent weight to make a day of shooting comfortable but easy packing in the field, all around along the lines of what I am looking for.

Who owns a Howa in 6.5, or in any caliber for that matter? What are your impressions? Is it a keeper? Are they comfortable? If these are as good as they look, then maybe I can get my moose rifle built after all (albeit a little behind schedule). TIA! [Smile]

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikey The Howa bolt action is dependable.Weatherby uses them in their Vanguard rifles.Smith & Wesson and Mossberg also sold rifles made by Howa. I would say they are a good buy.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Excellent rifles for the money. I have four of them, a 223, 243, 7RMag and 30-06, and, aside from the 243 which delights in aggravating me with its refusal to shoot like a 243 should, the rest of them are superb shooters. You could do a lot worse, IMO.

Not totally crazy about the synthetic stocks (I think they're Butler Creeks), which are kind of chintzy.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikey, I have one in .30-06. The thing is a TACK DRIVER! Out of the box, once the barrel had broken in, my groups were right around 1.2 to 1.1 MOA, occasionally going just below 1 MOA. I free floated the barrel, and it tightened the groups a bit. Then I got serious and ordered a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for a Weatherby Vanguard. This stock has an aluminum bedding block, and a pressure point at the forend tip. B&C recommends the pressure point. The highly stable stock makes the pressure point work like a charm. I'm shooting now .45 to .6 MOA groups with the scope at 8X. I have done NOTHING to the action and barrel.

The Howa synthetic stocks are made by Butler Creek. If you would rather have laminated wood, Boyds makes the JRS Classic for the 1500.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, this sounds great! I might be on schedule for moose as well, I am piecing together a rifle and figure I can afford the new 6.5 without a problem AND keep piecing together my moose gun, so far I have a Ruger 77 long action and a .30 caliber barrel on it's way, gonna be a good year!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone just gave a VERY good review of a Howa Thumbhole model in .223 on the Varmint Hunters forum. Link is below. I'm really, really tempted to buy one now, but must fight the urge.

http://www.varminthunters.com/forums/ggvg/posts/120425.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Lord! Maybe I should use my soon-to-be .300 WM for deer and buy a Howa .223 instead of a 6.5! Or listen to those evil voices and just buy 3 of the same gun! If I can get a 1500 in 6.5 to shoot half that good, then I'm sold!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksduckhunter:
Mikey, I have one in .30-06. The thing is a TACK DRIVER! Out of the box, once the barrel had broken in, my groups were right around 1.2 to 1.1 MOA, occasionally going just below 1 MOA. I free floated the barrel, and it tightened the groups a bit. Then I got serious and ordered a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for a Weatherby Vanguard. This stock has an aluminum bedding block, and a pressure point at the forend tip. B&C recommends the pressure point. The highly stable stock makes the pressure point work like a charm. I'm shooting now .45 to .6 MOA groups with the scope at 8X. I have done NOTHING to the action and barrel.

The Howa synthetic stocks are made by Butler Creek. If you would rather have laminated wood, Boyds makes the JRS Classic for the 1500.

I also found that Legacy Sports sells just the barreled action, maybe I'll buy one of those and the B&C stock and keep my fingers crossed...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikey, that sounds like an even better plan. That's what I should have done. Anyway, I don't think that you can wrong with Howa.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote