THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Upgrading my varmint rifle collection

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading my varmint rifle collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So many rifles, so little time. Been pedaling as fast as I can to upgrade my varmint rifle collection. Since I am a low volume shooter and not really serious (as another posted no serious hunter would employ a single shot rifle) I figured Coopers might just be the ticket. Here are four that I have picked up along the way.
GWB

Top to bottom,
Cooper model 22 Montana Varminter in 6.5 x 284
Cooper model 38 Classic, 22 hornet
Cooper model 21 Classic, 20 vartarg
Cooper Model 38 Classic, 17 Hebee

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't see a 6mm.........

How 'bout a 6BR ?

Or a quick twist 6XC ?

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Armed in Utah,
I'll probably do a 6 x 45 if I do a 6mm.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
every varmint rifle should include on or two 22/250's. Beautiful collection by the way.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Sure is a small but 'purdy' arsenal....

I love mine, but your's sure is "purdier!"

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a guy didn't know better Geedubya he might think you liked Coopers Wink. Ya need a .20 Killer Bee though, no doubt about it Big Grin. Actually you really don't as it's a ballistic twin of the .20 VarTarg only on a kinky case design but where's that .17 Ackley Hornet?
Nice collection as is Amigo!!!
I had my hands on a 52 in English Walnut last week (way purty!) and the only thing that saved me from myself is that it was an .06. Much as I love the .06 I hunt with a .300 Win Mag currently and I only need 1 big game rifle. That aside, if it had been the .280 AI that I been lusting after for years I'm thinking that one woulda followed me home.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wilimon1,
I've had as many as five 22-250's at one time. I am down to two. A savage 112fv and a remington 700. Just don't have one in a Cooper yet.

Seafire2,
Thanks, yes my Cooper collection is small at present. I have a reasonable Sako collection(16). I am currently suffering from a state of financial embarassment, but the game ain't over yet.

Doug, I have a 280 Ackley in a nice sako, so that somewhat assuages that lust. I have a dead stock remington 700 stainless synthetic in 300 win mag that will shoot 1.5"groups at 300 yds. Not pretty, but deadly accurate. Its one of those rifles that it seems that you don't have to aim, just point and shoot, and it does the rest.
I'm thinking about getting the Cooper 52 Classic in the 338-06. I don't have that chambering at present. A 6 x 45 in a Classic would also appeal to me also. Plus whatever else I could snag at a bargain, as I am a "junk" man at heart.
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya my .300 is a BDL with an unusually neat piece of wood that has been pillar bedded, lugs lapped, re-crowned and trigger worked. Aside from that and the decelerator it's stock and it is a flat anomaly the way that thing shoots! They were on their A-game at Big Green the day that one was made for sure.
I originally bought it from a pawn shop owning friend right after the Christmas rifle hocking rush (like new it was) when his shelves were overflowing. I bought it to turn into a 7MM Dakota so I needed a magnum action.
Long story short I was gonna send it right off when a buddy of mine convinced me I needed to shoot it stock to get a base-line before sending it to the smith. Bottom line was that we went to his house and worked up some .300 Win Mag brass he had and loaded it from low to max using RL22 and 190 grain Hornady Interlock bullets. At the range the max load showed zero pressure signs, clocked way over book velocities (3,050ish FPS with a 190 no less)and snuggled em all up together like they was lonely, little cloverleafs no kidding. Not even I could bring myself to chop up that rifle for the extra expense and minimal gain I'd a got with that 7 Dakota. That was many elk, deer, and antelope ago. It and my wife's 7MM-08 mountain rifle and mostly my .44Mag handgun are all I use on big game now.
Varmint rifles...Big Grin...now they are another story all together Smiler.

Always had a bad hankering for a .280AI however, must been from reading to many Warren Page articles as a kid coffee.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Coopers are real nice, a buddy has 2. Too bad they backed our current Prez. I won't buy one now.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jpat,
I'm usually more diplomatic when replying to a person that I do not know. However, I've about had it with people that don't think. I'll make this short as I have plowed this ground numerous times.
I buy these rifles (Coopers)used from ordinary American gun owners. Guys probably much like you and me that love our country, love our wives, kids and family. We pay our bill, and taxes, try to be law abiding. Cut you or me and we bleed red blood. The color of our money is green.
Tell me how buying a used gun from another American who has one for sale. promotes the causes that the current administration espouses or enriches Dan Cooper, who has sold his interests in the company since the shit hit the fan.
Do you own anything made in Japan, North Korea, the Chinese mainland. Do you use any gas, diesel or products that are derived from Saudi or Venezuelen crude. Do you use any German or Austrian optics.
All of those countries have directly contributed to the destruction of the American way of life and the death of many more Americans than the current POTUS or Dan Cooper have.
Get a life dude( or at least a brain that is capable of cogent thought processes).
GWB

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Hey, It was only my personal stance. My TV is an American name, Made in Korea. The only German optics I own are pre WW2. I drive 2.5 mile each way to work, so yes I use gas. Sorry if I would under any situation NEVER buy a Cooper, but that is just me. I have 3 Boys, a Wife, a dog, and Coach sports besides my job and Hobbies. I think my life is pretty good. I am also almost 50 years old and when someone tells me to get a life, maybe they should just look in the mirror. Your hung up on the Stigma little brother, not me. We all make choices, you make yours, I make mine. It does not make Either one a Bad person. Don't take things so personally. My response was not a personal attach. DUDE, My brain functions just fine, and rationally. I just happen not to agree with your choice. BTW, I sold all of my K98 and Arisaka rifles years ago because they made my Dad feel awkward, a WW2 vet, from day 1 to the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jpat,
Good reply. Gothca. Best to you and yours.
GWB

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Love the 20 VarTarg. Mine is an XR 100 re-chambered from a 204. Superbly accurate.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am currently suffering from a state of financial embarassment,

I love that way of putting it....

in reality, courtesy of our illustrious politicians in Washington, aren't we all "in a state of financial embarrassement..." lol

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire2,
I hunt with a family of die hard democrats. One of my brothers married the "belle" of the family. I now hunt with them, but he doesn't,(and that's another story). Being as I am rather conservative in my political leanings they have declared that I a "rich republican". So in that spirit, I could not admit to being flat broke and busted. Consequently in these days of political correctness and euphemisms, I currently find myself in a state of financial embarrassment. Hopefully, laboring under the current political climate, it will not be permanent. Again, I'm envious of you guys being able to put so much fire down range at critters. "Squeeze it easy" there friend.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice rifles. You need a 223 Rem with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrel to go with them.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
Coopers are real nice, a buddy has 2. Too bad they backed our current Prez. I won't buy one now.

Until I heard they'd turned out the founder for speaking his mind I was looking forward to buying a Cooper (just as soon as I could afford it).

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Coopers are awesome Rifles. The stocks also show a
similarity to older Swede rifles. The Craftsmanship is on par w/ Swede's also. They are my weak spot. Varmint rigs are hard to come by. The last 1960's .222 was $700.00. I should have bought it.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:

Until I heard they'd turned out the founder for speaking his mind I was looking forward to buying a Cooper (just as soon as I could afford it).

Sorry, but I am speaking my mind now and you don't get it.

Finacially supporting an administration that would love nothing more than to take our guns away, is just about the stupiest thing he could have done, especially when his BUSINESS IS WAS FIREARMS.

Don't forget VP Joe "1994 Assault Weapons Ban" Biden, because he hasn't forgotten you.

If I could get a good deal on a used Cooper, I might take it.
But you could not give me a good enough deal on a new one to allow me to forgive myself for buying it. Wink

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is that flippy? You would buy a used but not a new one? Do you even have a clue what the current status of Cooper Arms of Montana is in regards to the cuurent owner?
Before you make such a dumb statement maybe you should know the facts!

A small arsenal of Coopers is alot of cash!!!
NICE....Geedubya

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coopersrcool:
Why is that flippy? You would buy a used but not a new one? Do you even have a clue what the current status of Cooper Arms of Montana is in regards to the cuurent owner?
Before you make such a dumb statement maybe you should know the facts!

A small are arsenal Coopers is alot of cash!!!
NICE....Geedubya
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I buy these rifles (Coopers)used from ordinary American gun owners. Guys probably much like you and me that love our country, love our wives, kids and family. We pay our bill, and taxes, try to be law abiding. Cut you or me and we bleed red blood. The color of our money is green.
Tell me how buying a used gun from another American who has one for sale. promotes the causes that the current administration espouses or enriches Dan Cooper, who has sold his interests in the company since the shit hit the fan.

Until someone can prove to me with 100% certainty that Dan Cooper would receive absolutely no monetary gain from any purchase of a new Cooper Firearm, I would not do it. That includes any residuals of any kind, public or private.

Used is used, as you stated (see above QUOTE), Cooper gains nothing (except advertising) but purchases of new firarms supports the company. And I am not convinced (unless he is dead) that Dan Cooper would not reap some monetary value from it.
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
If I could get a good deal on a used Cooper, I might take it.
But you could not give me a good enough deal on a new one to allow me to forgive myself for buying it. Wink
If you personally have some information that would PROVE Dan Cooper would receive no monetary gain from the sale of a new Cooper firearm, then by all means share it.

Otherwise, I rest my case.

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I know for a fact that Wilson of Wilson barrels now owns Cooper and that Dan Cooper does not have contolling interest.
Is he a stock holder...don't know that answer. If he is it isn't a controlling interest.
Are you going to boycott US business if any liberal a**hole has some sort of stock interest in the Co. Good luck with that! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooperscool,
When I was laying out the rifles for the photo above, I couldn't help but think about you and that absolutely amazing collection you posted. Hadn't seen any posts from you lately and was wondering where you went. Be sure and don't be a stranger to the board.
GWB

PS: I've been adding to my collection as I can. Hope to do a couple more in the coming months.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last was a 25-06 in Jan. But the economy has hurt the Cooper fund...so I am holding off til we see what happens.
I pretty much hang out in the Cooper forum on rim fire central

Heres my 25-06 that I got in Jan. can't remember if I posted it here...if so sorry Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooperscool,
from what I can see it looks like a beautiful rifle. Looks like it has a shadow line cheekpiece and a skeleton grip cap and an absolutely amazing piece of timber. Is it a model 52 repeater?
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coopersrcool, You should be riddled with guilt over owning that rifle Mad, I think you should sell it to me real cheap just so's you'll relieve your guilt stir .
Truly nice, I have a number of them but none with wood like that.
That said Flippy makes some great points and at this particular moment in time I agree with him on the used only deal. I know also it has been discussed add-nauseoum about the Wilson buy out (fact) and Dan's relationship with Cooper at this point (that part is still up for debate).
To each his own but in the same way that there are a number of companies I don't do business with due to their political leanings personally I'm a used Cooper guy right now. That is from a multiple offender in the Cooper department. Also I agree with Geedubya, I own a number of Coopers and would buy a used one in a heartbeat. Anyone that thinks I should sell em or burn em or whatever it would take to satisfy their personal Vendetta against the name in general can go pack sand down a rat hole!
I dislike our Messiah In Chief Mr. Potato Head as much as anyone possibly can but I also grew out of cutting off my nose to spite my face when I was about 4. Dan Cooper is a dildo but I still like the rifles.

Pre-political suicide by dildo owner .17 Ackley Hornet.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
My last was a 25-06 in Jan. But the economy has hurt the Cooper fund...so I am holding off til we see what happens.
I pretty much hang out in the Cooper forum on rim fire central

Heres my 25-06 that I got in Jan. can't remember if I posted it here...if so sorry Kenny

that is a phenominal looking stock! WoW!!!!

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Seafire2,
I hunt with a family of die hard democrats. One of my brothers married the "belle" of the family. I now hunt with them, but he doesn't,(and that's another story). Being as I am rather conservative in my political leanings they have declared that I a "rich republican". So in that spirit, I could not admit to being flat broke and busted. Consequently in these days of political correctness and euphemisms, I currently find myself in a state of financial embarrassment. Hopefully, laboring under the current political climate, it will not be permanent. Again, I'm envious of you guys being able to put so much fire down range at critters. "Squeeze it easy" there friend.
GWB

Well GW,

If you ever find yourself in Oregon or even have a desire to head this way.. as a fellow forum member, I will be more than happy to get you in an environment that you get to enjoy some trigger time..

I've had the opportunity to host a few forum members when they were here locally and it was really enjoyable...

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I know for a fact that Wilson of Wilson barrels now owns Cooper and that Dan Cooper does not have contolling interest.

Is he a stock holder...don't know that answer.

If he is it isn't a controlling interest.
Are you going to boycott US business if any liberal a**hole has some sort of stock interest in the Co. Good luck with that! Big Grin
Well I do boycott Heinze products for that reason. The woman at the top is a wack-job and John Kerry benefits by being married to her and her money...
She gives money to The Tides Center (you know, George Soros) and other subversive anti-American groups.
Bad, bad, bad.

If a company has a political agenda I find nauseating (like Heinze - do some reasearch), I let all of my friends and family know just were their hard earned money goes and what it supports.
It only takes an email. If they choose to continue their monetary support, that is their choice.
However, I do reserve the right to say, "I told you so..." Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm, you don't have a 5.6x57mm in your mix. Try a 5.6x57mm if you want to work with a different sort of varmint/light deer rifle. Feeding one of those RWS projects is quite an experience.
LLS

Posts: 188 | Location: Texas, via US Navy & Raytheon | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote