New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX in .257
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any conclusive results in the field with these bullets. Everyone seems to agree they shoot great. Thinking about experimenting, for fun, with them in my 257 Rbts for small hogs and deer in South Texas.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
I just started using them this year in my .300 Weatherby...180 gr. BT...and thus have limited experience with them. I was having trouble with Nosler Partition 180s grouping like I thought they should. The TSX was very accurate and I still want to do more work with them. I was able to kill a 5 pt bull elk last month with one though. He was 80 yds. below me and I only had a shoulder shot. It went in high in the left shoulder breaking the top of the shoulder blade and came out lower on the right side breaking the bottom of the shoulder. I found one "petal" when I cut him up, but the rest exited. It did what I wanted it to do. Just wish I would have had a nice lung shot though.

Oops...I 'bought forgot. I did toast a coyote with it a couple of weeks ago too. I only had the Weatherby with me when I noticed all the cows looking in one direction. (dead give away they're watching a coyote) He was 375 yds. away. Let's just say it was a complete pass through. Smiler

I wouldn't hesitate to try them in your .257. I was thinking of trying them in my .257 too. Just haven't gotten that far yet. (I use the 75 gr. Hornady for coyotes in my .257.)(makes a mess sometimes, but they're dead.)

Posts: 72 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Has anyone had any conclusive results in the field with these bullets. Everyone seems to agree they shoot great. Thinking about experimenting, for fun, with them in my 257 Rbts for small hogs and deer in South Texas.

I use the .257 Barnes 100 & 115 gr. TSX in all my "Quarter Bores" from .25 Remington to .257 Weatherby. I use the 100 gr. version in my .257 Roberts with great success. I have taken large Mule Deer bucks and Wild Boar up to 150 or so pounds with it. Give them a try and you won't be sorry. In my opinion, the bestbullets being made today. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the TSX 180 grain in my .300 Win Mag this year in RSA and they accounted for six one shot kills ranging from 60 yards to 220 yards. I have one recovered bullet from my blue wildebeest that retained 100% of its weight with a perfect muchroom. I was so impreesed that I ordered some 100 grain TSX's for my .257 Weatherby for a hunt in Texas for exotics a couple of months ago. Once again, five one shot kills ranging from 20 yards to 300 yards. Did I mention their accuracy is great too, but you already knew that? You won't/shouldn't be disappointed.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have used the 100gr. X in my Roberts and the 115gr XLC( since discontinued) in my .25-06. On deer they have been perfect with a good balance of penetration and damage. I've never recovered one.

Given the TSX is holding a better rep for accuracy than either of these, and the performance I've seen so far, I wouldn't hesitate a bit.

I'll buy some as soon as I run out of the XLCs' that I have now. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog_Gary,

Whats the recipe your using in your 257 rbts with the 100gr TSX. Do you happen to know velocities (I'm not a speed freak, just wondering for sighting in purposes)?

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry
I have used the 115TSX to harvest a few Deer, Whitetail & Mule Deer & 1 Antelope. Penetration was complete on all despite a quartering shot from front shoulder to breaking the rear leg on the off side of one Whitetail Buck! This is the best penetrater of any .25 that I know of with great terminal results & 1/2" Accuracy. My brothers 25-06 liked the 100TSX, & again, no recovered bullets. In the Roberts, I would try the 100TSX first.

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawdog_Gary,

Whats the recipe your using in your 257 rbts with the 100gr TSX. Do you happen to know velocities (I'm not a speed freak, just wondering for sighting in purposes)?

I am using 49.3 gr. of H4831SC for 3,043 fps. behind the 100 gr. Barnes TSX. This gives excellent accuracy out of my .257 Roberts. I am getting excellent results with Barnes TSX bullets in all my rifles. They don’t have the accuracy quirks that the X and XLC versions do. They are literally the best bullet I have found. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My little roberts,
Is a ruger. Its got a 20 inch pecil thin barrel , and with 46.00 grains of H-414 I get 3140 and right around MOA. Droped a little forked horn mulie real quick at 102 yards .
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loaded up 4 TSX's with 43.0/h4350, got 2800fps and 1 moa. I figured that was good enough to try them on game and went for a walk with the 4th. First feeder I came across had 4 hogs about 125# each so at 177 yards I plugged one in the shoulder and got the "bang-flop". I'm going to sit down and work up a better shooting load and get serious on the testing. We have 300 deer we have to kill and along the way we usually get a hog or two or 100. I'll post pics in the morning. I really appreciate yall sharing your info with me. Good hunting and God bless.

Perry

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got it figured out then. I really like the 100 grain TSXs in my .257 AI. I've only shot two animals, a smallish mulely and a pronghorn, but both times the bullets performed exactly as they should. Keep us posted on your coninued use. It seems that you'll get more field time than a lot of us. Wink

BTW, if taking care of all those deer and hogs gets tiresome, let me know! Big Grin

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have 300 deer we have to kill and along the way we usually get a hog or two or 100.
Perry

Gee, It must be pretty tuff when you have to go hunting and take so many! I know how troubling it can be, not to mention boring, so I'd like to help lighten your burden as well! I'd even be willing to use various loads in several rifles just to gather data! Big Grin

I think you'll be quite happy with the choice you've made. Seating depth may yield that last bit of accuracy your looking for. ( or maybe a different primer) Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate,

What are you recomendations on the seating depth adjustments. I am .014 off the lands now. I took another hog tonight at 238 yards. Buleet entered front of shoulder and exited behind off shoualder destroying the heart. She dropped on impact and never moved. I'm liking the TSX.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
And I think you'll continue to like it. With the exception of 140 grain XLCs in my 6.5X55, I've found the best accuracy with Barnes to be just where they say - about .050" off the lands. My .257 AI has such a long throat that I can't reach it and still have enough bullet in the mouth of the case. I'm way off the lands with the TSXs and that thing still chugs out sub-1" groups with boring regularity. Same thing with 117 grain Sierras. Accubonds though, uggh, looked like a shotgun pattern at 100-200 yards. Keep working those TSXs, I know I'm sold on them.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Yeap, DR pretty much hits it on the head. I have my Roberts a little closer ( .038) but still it is with the old X. They still shoot close to MOA but the barrel heats up quickly. My first two are usually close to touching.
In my .25-06 and 7mm RM, I'm using the bulk packaged XLC's that have a crimping groove so I seated them to the groove and put a light crimp on them. The are not trimmed to minimum spec though. I'd have to do some figurein' to be exact but if I remember right they are both at about .045 when I finish.

I'm not saying what I do is perfect but the end results are quite acceptable for hunting. I've heard many say the TSX is even easier to get good groups from. With the Barnes it seems like you can load them short so they fit the mag with room to spare and it's a good match with accuracy. With others they are seated as long as the mag box allows just to get as close as I can to the optimal seating depth. Nate