THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Response to Holding a Savage Predator

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Response to Holding a Savage Predator
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, I finally got to touch one and hold one tonight…

Savage’s New Predator Model….

One the forums here, I have read mixed reviews from others…. Some liked it
And some found a lot of fault with it.. nit picky stuff…. But sometimes those nitpicks
Can be right on target…

Well not with the new Predator!

It is currently available in 223, 204 and 22.250….

But it has already got me dreaming…

I don’t get turned on much by new things in the rifle world any more.. I am a die hard Model 70, Mauser, Enfield and Springfield fan… bolt actions of course.. I also have my
Share of Rugers, Good Utilitarian rifles… I even had two Savages.. a 12 BVSS in 223, and a 116 chambered in 7 Rem Mag….

But this new Predator… heavier magnum style barrel, my favorite… yet with the stock, it was not a heavy overall package and it also was not nose heavy.. .the barrel is cut to 24 inches and of course has a target crown, and the AccuTrigger….

And the camo on the rifle is superbly done.. I am usually not a fan of camo everything… but this package is well done and well balanced…

If it were chambered in 243 and 260 Rem., these two would definitely be my main hunting rifles…. A 7/08 would be a nice touch also…. I am not a big 308 fan, but for those 308 fans out there, it would also be a great chambering….a 6mm Rem, with a long action and one in 8 twist would also be a great rifle…

Top this rig off in 260 with a 3 x 9 Leupold, with matching camo on the scope and rings… with a German # 1 reticle…… and I am in rifle hunting heaven!!!

Few things fire me up in the rifle world any more… but this rifle surely does.. especially if Savage can come up with the 243 family of cartridges chamberings…. And then a long action also available…. And Leupold with matching scopes available…

The Predator and the Newer F Class Rifles are Savages best yet!!!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Not a big deal but on the Savage web site they have the barrel listed as 22 inches. Just wondering what it is.

Why don't you "build" one and send it off to be camo'ed?

I am going to get a price on the Target action the next time I get to my gunsmiths.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 223. I only have about 100 round through it but it is more accurate than my 12 BVSS. I have only shot Sierra 69 MK's over Varget so far but they are shooting extremely well, averaging about 1/2" with carefull shooting technique.

Now the gripes:

I'm not crazy about the finish quality. The camo finish is "melting" off the muzzle from cleaning fluid dripping out the end. I'm trying to be careful but it is inevitible that some will drip out.

The Accutrigger on this one doesn't seem to want to get under 3 pounds no matter how I adjust it.

The stock is very flexible and cheap. I found that I have to shoot off the rest with the barrel lug over the center of the pedestal otherwise the stock pushes on the barrel. Bipod use? Forget it..

Still it's a keeper for me. I bought it for a walk around, off-hand varminter. The barrel is 22" for all calibers. The barrel weight is about perfect.

Good shooting.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote