Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Barreled Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I was thinking of picking up a Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor but since Ruger discontinued the great little compact magnum rifle in favor of the fugly guide gun, I thought I might pick up a stainless Howa barreled in 6.55 Swede instead. Anyone have a Howa of Weatherby Vanguard? How do you like it and how does it shoot?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
There's a thread about Howa's in the Custom section
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/8821002281

I've got a Howaby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. It's a solid action. Built like a tank. Shoots very well. I like it.
Tolerances are nice and tight and they still use actual bluing, not the glorified BB paint that is standard on Remchester economy guns.

The only gripe on Howa rifles I'm aware of is the metric barrel threads. Some gunsmiths don't like dealing with metric threads.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 WBY Weatherby Vanguard and love the gun. It shoots a .75 MOA group all day long. I had a Vanguard 233, my dad has a howa 270 and Vanguard 300 Win, one of my shooting buddies has a howa 300 Win, and another friend a stainless Vanguard in 7mm. All of them shoot better than 1 MOA.

Last winter my buddy that has a 300 Win went with me to try some long range shooting. It was the first time that I shot my 300 WBY past 400 yards. Both of us were able to hit 2 out of 3 milk jugs at 600 yards. Not too bad for the first attempt at long range shooting.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few, they all shot great. Only sold my most recent one because it was way too heavy with the B&C Medalist stock. 9lbs + for a 308 was just silly for a sporter.

You have several stock options, B&C, Manners...I think Brown Precision as well. Not sure if Micky makes one or not. The barreled action route is a good choice.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote