New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone use a 22-250 on deer
 Login/Join

<txhunter>
posted
Shots in the heart lung area, head, neck, or spine will bring down any deer. I've never shot a deer with a 22-250 but have taken several with 222rem. Same effect, dead deer. I use hornady 55gr spire points, not one deer has need more than one bullet.

<rock42>
posted
well everyone knows velocity kills. so why not get a 17 ppc. the data on this site says you can get a 15 grain bullet up to 4700 fps. that should really kill a deer dead.

but if you can't afford to get a custom gun build then a 220 swift with some good non hunting bullets like a sierra matchking would also be good. but make sure with a matchking you try to shoot the deer as far away as possible, at least a half mile away. any closer and you are a bad shot.

or you could just make a logical choice and get either a 260 remington or a 7mm-08 if you handload and a 243 if you don't. the 7mm-08 would also be good for other larger game if she would ever choose to hunt it.

<Pa jim>
posted
rock42, you beat me to the post, I wish Sierra would build a Matchking for my 17 rem.
It's a good thing they call it Matchking, the
anti's have enough on us already, if they knew the unfair advantage of velocity and this bullet combined on game, all the other's would compare with the Atlatl.
Oh well, guess I'll have to get by with my
20 gr. Safarimaster's for now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a custon .14 caliber, it fires a 11gr bullet 4955fps, I use it on everything, from squirrels to elephant.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<cougarhunting>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by heavy varmint:
with the proper bullet ofcourse. This is something I wouldn't even have concidered a few years ago but with bullets now available for the job in .22 cal. and some glowing reports from gun writers I am concidering loading up some Nosler Partitions in my 22-250 for my wifes first deer hunt but would like some oppinions from those who have tried it. Shots will be under 125 yards at 160 to 200 pound white tail.

<cougarhunting>
posted
My very first elk I shot with a 22-250. I hit him once in the back of the head at 200 yards and dropped him like a tonne of bricks I was using 55gr. remington core locks they grouped really well and held together really well I hghly recomend them. T he most importent thing is practice practice practice. I used to spend hundreds of hours shooting gophers every summer and worked out some amazing loads. Deer have been wounded with every imaginable caliber, the most importent thing is competence. good luck and good hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the fairly high speed 22 centerfires,when loaded with a half way decent bullet that won't blow apart on contact with the ribs,will kill deer stone dead when the bullet is put into the heart/lung area.The best performance I have seen so far is with the old Speer 52 grain "waterbucket" hollow point,belive it or not.Have also seen three good sized blacktails downed no sweat with the $6.50/per 100 bulk Remington 55 grain PSP-CL.The Remingtons heald together very well in all instances,much to my suprise when looking at the autopsys.Haven't used the 60 grain Partition and haven't witnessed any kills with it,but I have a few good friends that have used them out of the 22/250 and reported exellent results.

The only difference between using a 22 centerfire on deer and using a larger caliber is simply the size of your margin of error.Get excited and bust a deer through the hip with a 300 Weatherby and you'll still knock him down most times.Can't do that with a 22 centerfire.Keep them in the heart/lung area,or if you are a keen offhand shot the center of the throat,and you'll be happy with the results.

Bigcountry,

My general rule is that if they hit the deer first,it's their's no matter how poorly hit.You did the right thing calling DNR in that situation.

Cougarhunting,

While I don't doubt you for a second,there is probibly going to be some name calling thrown twards you for what you just said from some certain posters here.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<cougarhunting>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Adirondack Joe:
heavy varmint, absolutely not. Such a caliber choice is unacceptable. My own 25-06 shooting 117 grn Hornady Interlocks is insufficient for the big whitetails here in Upstate NY, according to some on this site. You have to realize that anti-s are strapping bullet-proof vests on deer so that a 7mm is the minimum that can kill a buck. Your wife needs a 7mm Rem Mag. Apparently that is THE deer caliber. A 30-06 would be nice, but is light on power. A 300 Weatherby would be a better choice. A 338 Win Mag would work well, too. Why not get one of Remington's ridiculous Ultra Mags? Little pea shooters like the 25-06, not to mention centerfire 22's, are simply inadaquate.

Now that I've vented, I'd say go ahead. I know hunters who have taken deer every year with 60 grn Hornady's. Never lost a deer yet. My cousin has a Ruger M77MKII in 223 and he shoots Winchester's 64 grn power point. He has taken two bucks and quite a few does with it, none requireing a second shot. Some on this board would prefer if such accounts from the field did not exist, especially those who think a bullet should weigh at least 500 grains.

I think it would be best if you were to learn to shoot a little better first of all the big whitetails arent in ny there in alberta, secondly saying that a 30-06 is inadequate is ridiculous I have 3 one shot kills on large grizzlies the furthest shot being just over 300 yards.I dont know how old you are but you have a lot to learn.

<waldog>
posted
Once upon a time in a land far, far away...

I witnessed a largish doe shot at 275yds with a .223 carbine and 55gr Black Hills remanufactured ammo. It seemed like a poor combination at the time, but I was just along for the ride. At the shot, the deer herd ran off. For a few seconds, we thought the hit doe was in the mix of them, then we saw she had gone about 40yds and hunkered low in the grass.

We let her be for a little while before deciding to stalk closer for a finishing shot. Not sure just how undead the doe would be we were fairly cautious, but as it turned out, we were able to wald casually to about 20 yards where we finished the job.

Post mortem, the first shot was center high lungs and maybe a little back. Not ideal anyway. Our conclusion was that a better hit would have been extremely fatal.

Would I use a .223 for deer? Yes, but only if I had to. But if I did, I wouldn't feel bad about it for a second. I would think that a well loaded .22-250 should not have a problem at all within reason, of course.

Just remember the trade off of recoil and bullet weight for lighter recoil is shorter ranges and necessity for better shot placement.

Use your best judgement and you'll be fine.

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
My brother's first buck:

Rifle: Rem 788
Round: 22/250
Bullet: 55gr Hornady SP
Range: 400 yards

Dead center lung shot.

Post mortum:

Entrance hole was as expected, .22 caliber
size; exit hole was only about 3/8 inch.
Half of the lung on entrance side was
liquified while 90% of lung on exit side
was liquified. The buck stood in place until
he collapsed.

Know your rifle, know your shot.

If some claims of just what kind of cannons
are needed for deer and larger game, I would
suspect that for elephant hunting, they need
to produce a core-lokt type of bullet for
the 105mm Howitzer.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<vibrasonic9>
posted
Just because something can be done doesn't make it a good idea......I know a .22 rimfire will kill deer.......I've seen it happen a lot, but that don't make it a good idea. A Volkswagon truck can be outfitted with a gooseneck hitch and it'll pull a trailer.......but it's damn sure not the best thing to do.
I could jam my thumb up my ass and hop to Mexico on my fist, but why do that when there are better modes of transportation? You CAN shoot and kill a deer with those little calibers......but why?

------------------
Rod's Place

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vibrasonic9:
Just because something can be done doesn't make it a good idea......I know a .22 rimfire will kill deer.......I've seen it happen a lot, but that don't make it a good idea. A Volkswagon truck can be outfitted with a gooseneck hitch and it'll pull a trailer.......but it's damn sure not the best thing to do.
I could jam my thumb up my ass and hop to Mexico on my fist, but why do that when there are better modes of transportation? You CAN shoot and kill a deer with those little calibers......but why?

Simply because it works, and works very well.
No one here is suggesting to use any rimfire.

As for your unorthodox trip to Mexico, there
would be a sizeable number of the population
who would pay good money to see that. May I
be your cameraman?

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<rock42>
posted
but why would someone want to handicap themselves with a centerfire 22. 257 robers, 260 remington, 6.5 swede and some others would be much better choices with very little recoil. if you can't learn to cope with the recoil of a 260 remington there is something wrong with you. so why would someone want to handicap themselves in anyway by shooting a 22. and if you think a centerfire 22 will give you a flat trajectory, then look seriously at a 25-06 or 243 ackley. both of those are light recoiling and pretty damn flat to boot.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock42:
but why would someone want to handicap themselves with a centerfire 22. 257 robers, 260 remington, 6.5 swede and some others would be much better choices with very little recoil. if you can't learn to cope with the recoil of a 260 remington there is something wrong with you. so why would someone want to handicap themselves in anyway by shooting a 22. and if you think a centerfire 22 will give you a flat trajectory, then look seriously at a 25-06 or 243 ackley. both of those are light recoiling and pretty damn flat to boot.

I've used both 22/250 and 25/06. A lung shot
deer cannot tell the difference. A 22/250
is no handicap in deer hunting, UNLESS you
want to use the ol' phrase "shoot through
several inches of flesh", but most of us
just so happen to eat that several inches
of flesh and do not care for the taste of
blood-tainted venison.

Get a grip. Those of you who think the
22/250 as being too puny either take shots
you should not take or you have never tried
it. I reiterate: THE 22/250 IS NOT A
HANDICAPPED DEER RIFLE.

posted Hide Post
I have been a deer hunter for 40 years. I live in northern Wisconsin where there is a lot of brush, but also a lot of openings. I have killed deer with 30-30s, 300Sav,30-06s, 25-06s, 257Ackleys, 6.5x55 Swedes and 220 Swifts. All the above mentioned work fine, but always work better when the correct bullet is used. I started using a Swift in 1976 and used 50 grain speers with spectacular results. I also used 50 grain Nosler solid base, and they work if the target is a little farther away. I also load for my buddies Swift, and he has settled on the 60 grain Hornady. Believe me it kills. I have also used that bullet on two deer with the same result. I love the 55 grain Trophy Bonded but have only killed one deer with it and that was a neck shot, but if you can get them to shoot I think they would be perfect.
Any rifle bullet combination is capable of outstanding kills and outstanding failures. I have a friend who killed many many deer with a 22-250 and then lost it in a house fire. He then bought a 300 Win mag and promply wounded a small doe with it. So NO cartridge is without unexplained failures. But my opinion is; that if more hunters used 22-250s and 220 Swifts wiith GOOD BULLETS, there would be a lot less wounded deer and a lot more happy hunters.

Posts: 10 | Location: Crandon, Wis. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote