New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truth About Cooper Rifles
 Login/Join

<banjo>
posted
I had a guy today tell me that the new varmint model coopers are junk, and will give lots of trouble. He said the bolts are aluminum and they have some plastic parts. He also said that they have cheap barrels,because they can no longer get shilen or lilja barrels due to not paying them. He also said they cant get the jewell triggers for the same reason. Can anyone hear tell me if this is true or not? I was thinking of buying one,but don't want to pay $1000.00 for a gun that is going to give me trouble.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
banjo,

The guy who told you all that doesn't know what he's talking about.

I just checked my Cooper Varminter, and I couldn't find any plastic parts, and the bolt is steel.

Allegedly, there was an argument between Dan Cooper and Arnold Jewell, resulting in a mutual boycott. I don't know if this is true, but the trigger in my rifle is excellent.

It's true they use Wilson barrels, but they are made to Cooper's specs, and are hand-lapped. I just shot two five-shot groups of 3/4" at 100yds. and that was during load development.

My best group with this rifle was .162" c-t-c.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Actually, they're using Montana Riflemans barrels lately. At least they were when I went to Kallispell last summer and visited with Montana Rifleman.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Anything but an expert on Cooper, but have owned one. Talked to Dan Cooper 3 weeks ago at a Grand OPening of a shop.

The only thing aluminum on the gun is the trigger guard(Varminter model).

As far as the trigger, Cooper is coming out with a new model 22 which will offer a Jewell trigger among other things.

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
banjo,

I can't speak for others, but I picked up my M21 Cooper Classic ten days ago. I shot two groups (3-shot), during barrel break-in, at 100 yards that were a bit under .5". The workmanship is excellent as is the functioning. Mine's a LH .222 that took about seven months to arrive, and well worth the wait. The only parts that may be aluminum are the bolt release and the trigger guard. I am very pleased with this rifle and will order another one.

Regards,
JB

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
I had a guy today tell me that the new varmint model coopers are junk, and will give lots of trouble. He said the bolts are aluminum and they have some plastic parts. He also said that they have cheap barrels,because they can no longer get shilen or lilja barrels due to not paying them. He also said they cant get the jewell triggers for the same reason. Can anyone hear tell me if this is true or not? I was thinking of buying one,but don't want to pay $1000.00 for a gun that is going to give me trouble.
Thanks

I had a 2700$ old 22BR gun from them that wouldn't extract fired or unfired shells.....then got a centerfire varminter in 223...broke mainspring 4th shot....headspace so bad it backed primers out of factory ammo...checked with Cooper and said it was my fault....use military brass it was "cheaper" the the extractor was so misfitted that it wouldn't go over some factory ammo to let it chamber.....stuck rounds in action....back to Cooper and they fixed headspace..then locked up again and extractor was so thin it was going to break if any thinner.....my great Cooper dealer gave me my money back....gun looked great and when it would shoot got .4groups with fireforming load......get it from a Cooper dealer and one you know! as posted before any human device can have a problem but their attitude with my problems is what I had a problem with.......Cooper quoted in article about new 57 "the gun I always wanted to build"? what about all those others he took big bucks for? just something to get money? better luck than I had and maybe yours will shoot AND look pretty!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Aluminum bolts? Gimme a break!! No-one would use aluminum for a HP rifle bolt, not even Remington......... Always though Coopers a bit overpriced, and don't think their bolt-plug design is very pretty, but the ones my buddies have are accurate, for sure! I prefer Kimber, or Cascade Arms!! [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The truth about the Cooper rifles is this: I don't own one and am of no relation (to my knowledge) to the owner. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Coopers overpriced and you prefer Cascade? Have you priced a Cascade lately? They are about $3,000 for a base model with no up upgrades. Not saying I would not love to have one, but Coopers are alot less $$.

Jordan

<eldeguello>
posted
Jordan you generally get what you pay for. I have seen several Cascaddes, and they certainly justify their price more than, say, a Dakota in the same price range. The only trouble with the Cascade is, you just can't get one!! Supply and demand, I guess.

posted Hide Post
These Cooper rifles sound good,Just as well seeing as they have my name on them.. [Big Grin] I only wish they where mine. [Roll Eyes]

Gary Cooper

Posts: 5 | Location: UK | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is too early to tell still breaking in my
model 22 varmiter in 308 win. [Big Grin]

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M21 Varminter in 6PPC with a Weaver 6.5X20 Grand Slam mounted and it shoots everything I put through it at .5 or less. It is almost boring. My best to date is .178. If you can get past the price and the too long wait to get on, then get one. You will not be sorry.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote