Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 year girl wants to shoot
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 7 year old girl that has been shooting pellet gun for a couple of years and now i would like to get her a single shot 22 .what new guns are out there that are designed for kids thank you

Posts: 9 | Location: northern new brunswick | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get her a Crikett and a bunch of 22 shorts, shell have a ball.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know availabilty of them but the Ithica 49 seems ideal. They are single shot lever action. Working lever ejects shell only---does not cock it. Working lever will make it safe even if cocked. The stock is a copy of Win mod 94 and making a new short butt that fits youth is easy---that way you keep the original for when they grow.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run a smallbore match for my club & we have a few " Crickets " for the very young shooters..

My Smallbore Angels.

You can just see the " Cricket ", lower left corner of photo.

IMHO, I think the " CZ Scout " is a tad bigger, but a much, much better Rifle.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

You might take your girl down to the " Gunshop " for sizing !

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Rossi makes a nice little gun for youths and with interchangable barrels, you can get the shotgun and\or centerfire barrels as well. Two barrel combinations (like .22 and 20 gauge) are relatively cheap and overall length\weight make them ideal for kids.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get one that every one can and will shoot: a CZ 452 scout... same action as the full size and same accuracy, just shorter and lighter. She'll be asking YOU to let her shoot it, since YOU will be "hogging" it.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornWithout doubt **** The Stevens Favorite. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My son is now 8 but when he was 4 I got him a Chipmunk rifle (just like a cricket)that was the best thing in the world I could have bought him.
He is now shooting a Handi rifle .223 (got his first hog and a ram 2 months ago) and also shoots a cut down 6.5 Swede.
One of the small scale .22 single shots is ideal for kids.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The CZ as mentioned would be my choice if buying a new one... but, the single shots get boring quickly to kids.
We started our boys with a Marlin single shot bolt gun that was used. It was great, still is, but they quickly wanted to progress to bigger repeating guns so 10/22's followed and then a mix of others. It wasn't long after they were using the .223 Rem, and wanting to move on to the .22-250. My youngest got his first coyote at 7 years with a 10/22 Mag. Good Times!! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornWithout doubt **** The Stevens Favorite. tu2roger beer

+1

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the little CZs but the safety is backwards and I don't think this is good for a kids gun. The little cricket and chipmunks are great. I grew up with the Ithaca 49 that someone suggested. I loved it but it took both thumbs to cock it when I was 5. Still have it by the way. Most youth guns are just too big and heavy in hunting calibers. As much as I hate to admit it I'm setting up an AR-15 with a very light barrel and 6 position butt stock for a 5 year old right now. I took off the flash hider and put a muzzle protector on it to reduce blast. Found a flush 10 round magazine so nothing sticks below the receiver. Got a 22LR conversion unit for it and mounted a light weight 4 power scope on it. I think this will be a great kids gun and they could use it the rest of their life. 22LR for practice and 223 with the right bullet for deer.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevin1973:
I have a 7 year old girl that has been shooting pellet gun for a couple of years and now i would like to get her a single shot 22 .what new guns are out there that are designed for kids thank you

+1 for the Cricket, get her the one with the pink stock, she will love it. I took a slightly differnt route, got my girl a 10/22. It now dawns a pink customized yukon stock, pink accessories, and a volquartsen barrel. She loves the look of it and I like the fact that I can shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100yds.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Cricket, a few old "boys" rifles, a marlin and a rossi for my sons who where 5 and 7. They both prefered the Rossi matched set which is a single shot with both 22 and 410 barrels so now I have 2 of those. The Cricket was hard to load and cock, the various old guns had different issues making loading or extracting hard, the Marlin was the smallest youth model made and still a little heavy for my 7 year old(He likes it now that he is 9 but if we are walking wants the Rossi) and the Rossis were just easy enough to load cock and fire that they could both do it themselves. The Rossi also ejects the shell which is fun Smiler

We have since added a custon .22 double rifle, a 10/22 and a CZ to the youth gun collecton at my home but they still prefer the Rossi( My 4 year old Daughter prefers the Winchester M36 garden gun)

All being told I would say take her to the shop and see what fits her and what she can operate but, if I had to pick one only knowing it was for a 7 year old I would go with the Rossi.

FWIW

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matthew,

Now I'm Jealous when you say you have a 22 double rifle! That would have to be the greatest kids gun. Add a set of 410 barrels and it really would. I got a SXS 410 at six and still love it.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 22 double is the greatest kids gun ever and I do have a matching 410. I shoot it even with the 12" LOP and have a blast with it in the yard loaded with Super Colibris.

My kids only want to shoot it when I go out with one of my other doubles so they can fit in.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why not a Browning BLR 22? That is a gun that she will be able to shoot now and for the rest of her life. Big Grin All of my girls have each had one for years and they really dig shooting them! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Farrier Matt:
Get her a Crikett and a bunch of 22 shorts, shell have a ball.
Yup, but possibly some CB shorts

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevin1973:

A single-shot Remington 510 doesn't cost much, and the safety goes on when you close the bolt. You can cut the stock, save the end to dowel back on when she grows longer arms.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14434 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my grandson a Henry Acu-Bolt .22 rifle for his tenth birthday. Barrel and action are SS and stock is grey syntheic with molded checkering. It's a typical bolt action single shot but has iron sights with the colored plastic inserts and a scope mount is avalable. It's a very attractive rifle and he loves it.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote