THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Filling the gap between 22lr and 243win.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Filling the gap between 22lr and 243win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
17 Reminton in the new CZ 527 Varmint, I'm .5" high at 100 yards and 4" low at 300 yards. See your hits in your scope, low noise, sweet trigger, and tack driving accuracy.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted Hide Post
I would get the 223, ammo is widely available and cheap. Wally world has them for under 10 bucks I believe for a box of 40. Can't beat that!!

The 17HMR is a good round for rabbits and larger varmint up to 150 yards and beyond. However ammo is more costly, about 7-10 bucks a box of 50.

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is there much factory ammo available? If need be I can load for it but more than likely I won't have the time. Is it too much for rabbit shooting?

All of the cartridges you mention could fill the bill, but your statement about factory loaded ammunition makes the .223 your best choice by a large margin. Lots of ammunition is available economically, and especially cheap paramilitry FMJ ammunition can be used for edible game.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
221 Fireball (in a CZ) or a 222 rem!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
If you really want to get cheap, start casting your own bullets for those loads. They work great at velocities up to the mid-2000s. Or look for the "seconds" bullets at cut rates and surplus bulk powders. You can come up with some good shooting loads, especially if you're not looking for the maximum barrel burning velocity, and with a bit of work you can save a lot in the process.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handload your 243!

Use my formula for a "Hornet" load. It's 1/2 of the normal powder charge by weight and a light bullet. Use IMR SR 4759 or a similar powder. Such loads usually yield around 2800 fps and have less noise and wear as well.

So if the normal load in a 243 Win is 46 grs for instance then half of that is 23 grains. So your load is 23 grs of 4759 and a 70 gr bullet or whatever you want to use.

Use the top of the bottom plex like a post sight for your aiming point. Sight in this "post" by turning the power ring on your variable.

That's all there is to it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.222 hands down...
im getting a contender triple deuce in a ten inch barrel...
i would get a CZ rifle....
but ??
i think the stupid saftey is awfull...
its backwards !! i hate that !!
buckweet

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big selling feature of the .223 is cheap ammo, that doesn't mean it's accurate,the cheap ammo, that is. Once you own,let's say 100 cases the costs are equal. The .222 is an outstanding cartridge,cases last indefinitely as do barrels and it still holds some benchrest records from what I understand. I have owned several and if they were bedded properly they were EXCELLENT shooters. The .222 Mag is no slouch either, both of which were in existence before the .223 hit the drawing board. That cost the "Taxpayers" a bundle!
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
someone did tell me that for 350 bucks you can send a CZ off and have the saftey fixed....but ?? 350 bucks !!
heck..fer that i'ed get a kimber...
buckweet

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote