New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 fail safes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot some groups with Win 230 moly fail safes couldn't get them to group under 2.5 at a 100 vel was 2670fps. The rem 250 core locks group under a in. 300 yd's 2.5 in. vel 2550 fps. Both factory loads. Theses were shot out of a Ruger 77 mkII stainless. Just some interisting data I thought you might like

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, p-dog. Do you know if they require a squeaky clean bore to shoot well, the Barnes 'X'?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Somebody a while back said they stripped the moly coat off the fail safe, and that it was much more accurate in their gun. How would you do that??? MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have four 270's. One of them consistently shoots factory 140 gr Failsafes into a group of 1" or less. The rest of the rifles shoot this load into about 3". I've tried handloading the Failsafes in various 7mm's, 300 mags, 338's, and 375's all to no avail. I like this bullet design in theory, but in practice it's another story. I'm open to suggestions.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
I haven't been able to get these to group either. Tried them in 2 different 338's. Like ForrestB , I like the bullet if it would just shoot accurately.
Terry