New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminton VTR .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read pros and cons different places on the Remington VTR. Complaint about the triangle barrel being a gimmick with no practical use. Complaints about the muzzle brake. People saying the stock is cheap and the way it is made it can't be properly bedded.

Well all I can say is after adjusting the factory trigger and doing the shoot clean break in I have found several loads that shoot 5 shots under and inch at 100 yards. Today I moved it out to 300 and am pleased to report my 50 grain Vmax load put 5 shots in 2 1/5 inches.

All I can say is I am more than pleased with this from a factory rifle costing me just a tad over $600.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Good to see the designers at Remington still know what they are doing. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
I saw one of those at the range the other day and being a Savage guy, I was pretty impressed with the look and feel of that rifle. One thing I would like to no is; The built in brake vents out the top, this to me would significantly reduce barrel rise. Is this true?

Oh and BTW, "great shooting Today I moved it out to 300 and am pleased to report my 50 grain Vmax load put 5 shots in 2 1/5 inches".

That is some good shooting and a sign of a great rifle.. tu2

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:
I saw one of those at the range the other day and being a Savage guy, I was pretty impressed with the look and feel of that rifle. One thing I would like to know is; The built in brake vents out the top, this to me would significantly reduce barrel rise. Is this true?

Oh and BTW, great shooting! "Today I moved it out to 300 and am pleased to report my 50 grain Vmax load put 5 shots in 2 1/5 inches".

That is some good shooting and a sign of a great rifle.. tu2

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole idea of the brake just on top I think it to stop muzzle rise. I don't notice it helps much. You would think that with a .223 there would be little muzzle rise but I don't see where this makes much difference over my Ar's without one.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote