New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN/Browning Semi-Auto 22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am very interested in a FN/Browning Semi-Auto 22.
How small/big groups shall I expect?
And is it possible to mount a scope? (Pics please)

Regards Johan

Posts: 87 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you go down into the rimfire section there is a couple threads on them

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The two-piece stock and take-down design do not lend themselves to knife-edge accuracy, but the little Browning design is plenty accurate for offhand shooting. Using iron sights, you usually have no problems. If a scope is mounted on the receiver, you may have difficulties in that it is difficult to make the barrel-receiver lock-up tight enough to keep the barrel consistenly aligned with the receiver-mounted scope. A barrel-mounted scope base is available that trys to solve that problem, but I don't find it very aestheticly pleasing. I shoot mine (FN-made) with the factory iron sights and it will shoot as well as you can see and hold. A delightful little gun that is well worth owning.

If you want a target gun, buy a Finnfire or a tricked-out Ruger 10-22.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Delightful in that they are still reasonable, too. I just couldn't bring myself to drill the barrel just for the cantilevered scope mount and the thumbwheel rear elevator works extremely well anyway. Don't know about the more modern sighted ones. I still have the mount if anyone needs one. They're great for the Chinese replicas.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate having hot cases ejected down my shirt sleeves, so no Browning SAs or Remington 24/241s for me ever again!

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You must have big sleeves or a poorly timed ejector. Mine kicks 'em down and away.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
I hate having hot cases ejected down my shirt sleeves, so no Browning SAs or Remington 24/241s for me ever again!

Jeff

True, but better than some semi-autos that will toss them down the neck of your shirt. Now that's more than a little distracting!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a comment about the sleeve thing from a previous discussion on the gun. Never had that problem, but while seated, resting my elbows on the bench, I have noticed the empties ricochet off my crotch now and then. Roll Eyes One of my life's dreams is to instruct a young blond that can catch the empties in her cleavage whilst using the Browning Auto.

BTW, my own will put 10 in an inch or so at 50 yards, scopes be damned. This off a rest, ammo is WW Power Point. Here's a target(s) from days gone by. The lockup between barrel and receiver is quite tight, the gun is nearly 50 years old and remains in NIB condition as it has seen very little use, though it has worn a scope in the past. It exhibited none of the characteristics mentioned above and shot as well or better than the iron sight pics below. The tension on the lockup is adjustable, frequent take-down is counterproductive.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice group!
I must have one. I am going to look att a ATD next week.
/Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a good deal of interest in the Browning a few year ago after an article in Gun Digest. I've found them to be very accurate as a rule. I think my old friend best described them as "A Gentleman's walking stick". A good companion on a walk in the woods.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of my favorites - especially in the higher grades. a classic

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
My first rifle. Great little gun. Just have to learn to keep your arm a little to the left so you don't catch the empties.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my great uncles, in .22 short. What a great coon killer and a nice rifle to start the young ones on.

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I had one that I mounted a scope on using the barrel-mount. It was accurate enough that I was able to compete with it in the .22 Metallic Silhouette matches at my local club.

They're excellent little rifles.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have finally purchased a Browning ATD .22LR NIB.
What amo velocity does this gun prefer? And what bullet weight?
The barrel twist is 1/16â€.
Do people talk about the twist in .22LR. Does it make sense?
What I have heard, these guns are not so hard to please.

/Johan

posted Hide Post
Howdy.

I'm down to only two Browning Auto-22s, dang it. I have several 22 lr bolt guns including original Kimber 82A, Remington original 541S, Browning reissue Win 52. The bolt guns may be more accurate than my Browning Auto-22s but if so, not by much, and my favorite Auto-22 has put 3 in about 1/2" at 50 yards. Thy don't seem to be particularly ammo fussy; my favorite old Belgian seems perfectly happy with Win Super-X round nose. I have used red dots, high quality high magnification AO 'scopes, and Holosights, with the barrel mounted one piece base. I'll be buying another Auto 22 to have one with factory open sights.

Of all the 22 rifles I own, the Browning Auto-22s are the very last that I'd sell or trade.

Check pawn shops. Last Auto 22 I bought was Belgian made, well worn, and $300 OTD. And that's the one that has put 3 Win Super-X round nose in 1/2" at 50 yards. Exactly as it was when I brought it home. I did clean it, after shooting it...

Sorry to have run on so long...

Roger

Posts: 24 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375HH, the 16" twist is pretty standard for the .22 LR. You won't see much variation for the most part, but the ideal for the .22 short is 1:20".

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote