THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    223 Light loads w/ 35 to 50gr Bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 Light loads w/ 35 to 50gr Bullets
 Login/Join

<Wildcat>
posted
Does anybody have any starting places with what powders? i have a bunch of 35, 40, and 50 grainers that i want to shoot (trying for inexpensive practice) cheaper.

Thanks

Wildcat

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

<Don Martin29>
posted
Use 4759. The load is about 1/2 of a regular load by weight. So if the .223 holds 28 grs then 14 grs will do. I like magmun primers for these loads.

Check www.imrpowder.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up some light loads with a 40 grain bullet that were still stout enough to cycle my gas automatic action. I found that 17 to 17.5 grains of IMR 4227 would generate enough pressure and yield about 3000 fps with a 40 grain ballistic tip. This may not be as light as you want, but is about as light as I could go for dependable functioning in my particular rifle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote