New
Find
Notify
Tools

action for .17 mach iv
 Login/Join

<kcfx>
posted
i'm getting the itch to have a 17miv can someone give me some ideas as to what action would work best, tell me about yours if you have one.i was interested in rebarreling a factory made gun,no custom actions.thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have built two switch barrel guns out of XP-100
one single shot and one repeater. Both shoot the MKIV very well I have set them both up to use rifle stocks. Model seven and a rebedded 40x weighted for varmits. I have both 17Rem and MKIV the MKIV is without a doubt my favorite. If I want and often do is to put one back in a pistol stock and have a great little carry rig. My MKIV has an 18" barrel and I get 3650 to 3725 with 25gr Hornady's and 19 gr of H-335 the little model seven or XP is about 5/8 shorter than a 700SA.

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My .17 Mach IV is a Cooper, but you can build yours on any small action that can handle the .221-.222-.223 family of cartridges.

CZ, Kimber, Remington, Savage, and Tikka are just a few that have actions in this size.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you're considering a single shot, look at the T/C contender or Encore. A friend has a 14" Mk IV for his contender, and it'll push 25's 3600 fps, kinda loud, but no recoil and little groups.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KCFX.... If you are interested in a .17... you might want to look at Cooper Arms, they have VERY SERIOUS RIFLES for the money.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also use a Savage action with a Sharp Shooter supply Barrel(Douglas).
Those barrels are great shooters,mine is a one holer at 100yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kcfx: I had my 17 MachIV built on a Remingtn 700 short action. It has a very heavy Shilen stainless barrel. The barrel is 26 1/2" long! The barrel has the 1 in 10" twist. It does not feed perfectly every time but it shoots so accurately that quick followup shots are not often needed! I had mine built in 1996 and it has killed all manner of Western Varmints! It is deadly on Coyotes, Rock Chucks, Badgers and Fox with the Berger 25 gr. MEF! The first Varmint I killed with it was a HUGE boar Raccoon! I am sure he weighed 25 pounds! One shot and immediate cessation of movement! I use it mostly for Prairie Dogs and Rock Chucks. I really like the caliber and the accuracy of my Rifle. I looked for 2 years for an XP-100 action (single shot) to build my 17 MachIV Rifle on and just could not come up with one. So I went with the Remington 700 SA. I am sure it does not feed the second round correctly 10% of the time. But for Colony Varmints this has not been a big problem for me. I think with a new follower and spacer like comes in the Remington 700 Classic in 221 Fireball it would cure the feeding problem.
Again my Rifle is extremely accurate and I have been very pleased with it other than the feeding inconsistency. My Rifle weighs 13 pounds 10 ounces with Leupold 8.5X25 variable scope and Jewell trigger and McMillan Marksman style stock.
You will be able to see your bullets strike the target or the Varmint with a much lighter Rifle than mine. I wanted mine heavy as that is the way I prefer my Colony Varmint Rifles. Good luck with your project if you decide to go ahead. I would not hesitate to build another one on a Remington SA if I wanted a repeater. Or if you want a single shot then find an XP-100 action.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<kcfx>
posted
is the model 7 and xp-100 the same as a model 700?,they look the same from what i see.has anybody used a cz 527,i've seen some pictures of their rifles but haven't held one,are they good ones?,or have any problems?,i don't know anything about the company that makes them.i got the chance to handle a cooper at a local gunshow a couple weeks ago,has a little too heavy barrel than what i'm planning to use,very nice wood but light at the butt. my goal would be to have a 7 to 9lb. gun (with scope),whatbarrel contour would work in 22"to24" to stay in that weight range? thanks again for the comments!
'
'

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Sako L461 for mine. I know of a guy that used a CZ527, flawless feeding. The new Remington classic in 221FB would be great and I heard the CZ527 will be chambered in 221FB soon. All would make great actions for the Mach IV. I think a mini-mauser action would work good too.

If it were me, I'd make damn sure it fed relaibly 100% of the time.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote