New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more .22s for Kimber!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I was on the phone with Kimber customer service today and they informed me that as of June 2007, they quit making .22s. This was an incredibly sad day for me...who else?

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly terrible news.

My Kimber 22 Super America is my most prized rifle. Not only is it beautiful, it shoots like a house on fire. With match ammo, I can frequently shoot .350 5 shot groups. They absolutely never go over .5" for 5.

The blueing is deep and rich. The stock looks just right. Which is more than I can say for the Kimber centerfire rifles. They are nice guns, but the stocks just look ill-proportioned in my opinion.

The action is a smooth as a baby's bottom. The safety smooth and silent.

I would have thought this rifle would have been produced another 50 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They told me the reason for stopping was they felt the higher grade rimfire market had been saturated based upon their decling sales....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does not surprise me. Those that want to spend that kind of money on a rimfire, probably already have. While beautiful and accurate, they are expensive. I am waiting for the price to come down!???
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does not surprise me. Those that want to spend that kind of money on a rimfire, probably already have. While beautiful and accurate, they are expensive. I am waiting for the price to come down!
I figure a fella ought to spend more time behind the buttplate of a rimfire than he does all his other rifles combined so why not buy something really special?

I bought my son his Kimber Hunter; guess I'd better buy my Super America... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, all around. I truly prize my Kimber. Maybe they'll be worth big bucks some day.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No more .22s for Kimber!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is to bad, They simply can not make enough really nice .22 rimfires. I guess I will have to look at a cooper. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cooper I own fills this void perfectly!
WYLD

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Cooper .22 - they make a really nice rimfire. I looked at the Kimber and Cooper side by side and picked the Cooper.....still happy with that choice.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
This is another reason Kimber quit making 22s:

Click to see yet another reason

Not quite as slick as Kimber, but shoot better for less money.

Especially the 453...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Rides Alone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Antonucci:
So I was on the phone with Kimber customer service today and they informed me that as of June 2007, they quit making .22s. This was an incredibly sad day for me...who else?

I bought a Kimber 22 for squirrel hunting. I took it home and put a quality scope on it. It would not put two rounds in the same spot at 25 yards. I returned it to Kimber. After trying several fixes, they said it needed a new barrel and action and no barrels were available at that time. The gun was finally fixed and I tried to shoot it. Not one of (4) four....clips would feed properly. I had to send it back in. Finally, the rifle was fixed and did shoot well, but it was now into the next year's squirrel season! What performannce from a $900.00 22LR! Rides Alone

Posts: 8 | Location: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: 19 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The high end 22s from KImber, Remington and Ruger tend to shoot no better, if as well, as the cheapies from Marlin and Savage. Probably why they aren't selling.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Would you consider the new Browning T-Bolt to be included in the "high end" group of rimfires?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the newer Kimber .22s was iffy quality some shot great others not so .And their price point put them up against Anschutz a proven contender. At the big sillywett shoots Anschutz out number all others .

Cliff for my money I would go with CZ American 452 . I think I will keep my Sako Finnfire .

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
My m84 will shoot .25's @ 50yds if I do my thing right. Delight in the field. While I wont need another, there are those who will miss out on this lovely rifle.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ452 and like it a lot. I also have a Belgian T-Bolt and like it very much. Both are LH models and shoot exteremely well.
I was curious to know if the new T-Bolt was considered a high end rifle, like kimbers, coopers and Anschutz.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything over about $300 is high end for a 22 to me.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Belgian T- bolt that has a salt stock. It rusted the bottom of the barrel a little but I caught it before it got too bad. I ended up just completely glassing the barrel channel and action and it solved the problem. That little rifle will put anything you shoot in into a nickel at 50 yards. Not finicky at all. I have never shot the ely target or any target ammo through it but it might be fun just to see what happens.
I have a little Leupold 2X7 RF scope on it that is perfect. Not too pretty but it performs.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fyi grices gunshop clearfield pa. got the last 5 or 10 kimbers made still had them in last months flyer.