New
Find
Notify
Tools

FACTORY RUGER M-77 S.S.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just asking.. about my 'out of the box stock' Ruger M-77 in .260 rem. i have shot for about 8 years now. is a 1 or 1.25 " group on average bad for this rifle. i have loaded 4064 to H-4350. mostly 120s

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It don't sound good , You better sell it to
me , for a few hundred and get another . LOL
Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
just asking.. about my 'out of the box stock' Ruger M-77 in .260 rem. i have shot for about 8 years now. is a 1 or 1.25 " group on average bad for this rifle. i have loaded 4064 to H-4350. mostly 120s

Sounds fairly avg for me Not bad at all. I give it a good glass bedding job myself free float the barrel if was mine. But I do that to almost all my rifles

1.25 is 6 inchs at 500 yards equal lots of dead stuff out that far.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep that is average for an 8 year old Ruger.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
No need to fret about more accuracy from a big game rifle. A 1/2" MOA rifle won't give you any real advantage on big game out to reasonable ranges. Just a waste of time chasing sub MOA unless you are a target shooter.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What Scott says is spot on and I agree completely, however I am a tinkerer when it comes to my rifles just to see if I'm leaving any accuracy on the table.
If your rifle were mine I would play with seating depths a bit on my loads and beyond that I would mess with the fore end bedding. You said it is synthetic so I would first check the bedding to make sure it is free floated all the way to the tip of the stock then I would only bed the last 3/4" of the fore end. Some Rugers seem to benefit from slight fore end contact.
Try any improvements one at a time.
Also check your consistancy at the bench make sure you grip the stock identical each time, you may be exerting flex on the stock on some of your shots.
If all else fails your rifle is shooting fine at 1.25", really that is fine.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snellstrom
one of us

posted 09 March 2013 19:43 Hide Post
What Scott says is spot on and I agree completely, however I am a tinkerer when it comes to my rifles just to see if I'm leaving any accuracy on the table.

i have tinkered and tinkered with this
for awhile different powders,up & down on weight charges. different primers, different bullet delpth in and out. .88 to 1.0" is the best i ever shot. On a good day when eveything is right and im in the mood it has cut a .88 but not many days are like that

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of older Rugers, the tang safety models from the 70's. The 7 mag always shot well but since it had a trigger job, bedding and a muzzle brake it has put 3 shots inside of a dime more than once and is extremely accurate. The 30-06 will shoot everything I've tried between 1.5 to 2" no matter the powder primer or projectile weight from 150 to 200 grains. If it hadn't been my fathers I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. But with that kind of accuracy he killed a lot of deer and I've killed an elk with it as well.

My gunsmith has always thought that the Ruger accuracy varied based on good vs. bad barrels from the factory and I don't know of anything to disprove the theory.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
No need to fret about more accuracy from a big game rifle. A 1/2" MOA rifle won't give you any real advantage on big game out to reasonable ranges. Just a waste of time chasing sub MOA unless you are a target shooter.

tu2 X 3 beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X4. As long as you're under 2" at 100 yards you're ok for big game. It's nice to have better groups, but I wouldn't get rid of a rifle I liked if it wouldn't shoot sub-MOA.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote