THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Winchester 1890 buttplate dimensions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1890 buttplate dimensions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My rifle sn 3222xx came to me with what looks like a replacement (flat) buttplate circa 4 5/8" x 1 3/8" that looks like a reproduction, and a stock that was pretty ugly, had been sanded way down below the metal, and was loose on the rifle.

I replaced the buttstock with what was supposedly an OEM (period) new old stock replacement. The butt on that measures 4x1 3/8". The buttplate I had was about the right width but longer with a more pointed heel. I bought a repro buttplate here that looks like it has the right proportions but in fact it measures 4 1/8" x 1 5/32" ie the right length but way too narrow. Gungrips has a similar buttplate for sale similar dimensions.

Does anyone know of a source of buttplates that are "correct" for my stock? Or a stock that is correct for the Numrich buttplate? Or is my (new) stock an oddity?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 1890 the same as the Model 90. I have a Model 90 22 WRF with its original buttplate if you want a measurement.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks the same as mine.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
looks the same as mine.

Same as my 1890 .

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks all, i failed to clarify we are talking about a resin shotgun-style buttplate not a curved metal plate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard Cresent Steel buttplate came on about 95 % of the 1890 rifles, the same steel cresent buttplate was used on the 1892, and 1894 rifles.

The black resin buttplates was only on Special Order rifles, they normally were of the large size and had the widows peak. You see these a lot on the pistol grip Special Order rifles.

Then the 1906 came along and they used the small flat resin bluttplates.

When they started the model 62 they had gone to a larger very slightly arched resin buttplate, and it was also used on the model 62A

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it seems that the buttstock I have is an anomaly as it's only 4" deep (like the 1906) but quite a bit thicker/wider so the 1906 flat plates do not fit. I will probably go with a custom buttplate as none of the Winchester marked buttplates have the correct dimensions or hole spacing, as far as I can tell.