One of Us
posted
Am planning on buying me a nice accurate rifle
which is best between Weatherby Accumark 257
Or Sako Grey Wolf 25-06

Posts: 74 | Location: NC | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a tough question to answer objectively, so I won’t try. In the end it will probably come down to which one you can’t do without (which is why I always go for both, nothing exceeds like excess).

I’d be sure and check out both mfg’rs websites for details as to weight, barrel length etc. Both Sako and Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA guarantee 1†accuracy at 100 yds, and in a hunting rifle that’s all you need. There are many other posters here that can give you better technical specs on both rifles here, particularly Sako's, but let me give you my opinion. (remember, opinions are like noses, every one has one and most of them smell).

Chances are, that if you are going to get an Accumark or the grey wolf you are going to be looking at $1600 or so for the rifle unless you buy it “pre-ownedâ€. If you are going to spend that kind of money, you might check out Cooper’s new model 52 repeater in 25-06. It can be purchased for about the same money in wood or synthetic, and there are no flies on Coopers. Of course you could always find a used rifle and spend the balance on good glass, or purchase a Savage which are a very accurate out of the box and buy good glass.

I have three Weatherbys, two of which are accumarks and one super varmint master. Each is very accurate and I enjoy shooting them, but they are on the heavy side for lugging around all day and have 26" barrels. Also, if you want to lighten the trigger (and you will), this will most likely need to be done by a competent gunsmith. All three will shoot MOA with the SVM in 308 being a 1/2 moa gun. They have smaller locking lugs and a short bolt throw, which makes for quick cycling. Weatherby’s and older Sako’s do not have detachable magazines as do the newer Sako’s (75’s and 85’s). The cost of brass for the 257 can also be a factor. As I say I enjoy my Weatherbys.

But I love my Sako’s. I currently have ten in my collection. Every one is a shooter and I would swear that my L61R in 7Mag has a soul and a guidance system. It is the heavy barrel varmint model that I bought used from an old bench rest guy. I do not know how many animals that I have dispatched with this rifle. Recently shot nine hogs in two days with it. Can’t remember ever missing with this rifle. The older Sakos’s had much prettier wood than the new Sako’s (of the ones I’ve seen), which will be of no concern if you are getting a grey wolf. The actions are butter smooth and the triggers can be adjusted by a person of moderate mechanical ability. You will need to decide if you are going to get the “75†model or the new “85†model. Both of my 75’s have a detachable mags (which I happen to like).

Currently I am lusting after the new cooper 52 repeater. The western classic in 30-06 is an absolutely beautiful rifle, which stirs my blue steel and wood heart, but the Jackson Hunter in stainless and synthetic would be much more appropriate for the conditions I hunt in. Decisions, decisions

Whatever you do, don’t get in a hurry. Both are quality rifles so you won’t go wrong. Fondle a couple of the rifles you are thinking about buying. Cycle the actions, feel the triggers, shoulder and swing, find the balance points, hold them down in a carry position, take a sling in and put it on and shoulder them. Look around at pawn shops and gun shows to see if you can get a deal. Most used guns like the 257 weatherby are typically not shot out, due to the cost of ammo so I would not be afraid of a used gun. If you do this and follow your heart, I think you will make the right decision.
If not, blow it out and go get the other one.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you It is nice to hear from someone who has both.I have checked n a Cooper 52 and can get for around 1400.00,the downside about a 5 to 6 month wait.But i agree there a awesome rife.I do like the guarantee of the Sako,the disadvantage is it only has a 22 inch barrel.
As far as barrel length action caliber and a good synthrtic stoc k is kinda why I am favoring the Accumark

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a Sauer 202 Outback in 25-06 on Gunbroker. It has been relisted several times, and I would bet that the seller would be willing to deal. I have 2 Outbacks (22-250 and 270), or I would look into it myself.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89522025

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went and looked its a nice rifle But i have no FFL to order

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a five and a half inch group at 500 yards out of my 257 weatherby mark v ultralight the other day with a random handload I had never tried before at any range and with powder I've never tried or seen data for US 869 and 110accubonds.

The accumarks are considered much more accurate so I wouldn't worry about accuracy.

I consider it to be a much beter rifle than anything else I've owned and had lots of experience with. (winchester model 70, ruger 77, browning a-bolt, remington 700, and vanguards) although fine rifles they are in a total different class in my opinion. Never shot sako, tikka, etc

As you guessed I love my 257 mark v and in 2 seasons it has already killed 6 deer, a bear, an elk, plus lots of varments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if there is anyway I can id love to get the 257
I just think it has the perfect ballistics

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would wait for the cooper.
I am suprised to hear the sako would have a 22 inch tube on a 25,06.
Patience would be the saviour here.
Once the wait is over it will be forgotten.
One thing I would consider when thinking of the cartriges, is the .257 Weatherby , is a barrel burner. Not a problem if you don't shoot much but I bet you do.
I think cooper will chamber for the 25,06 AI if that intrests you at all...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admit id love to have a Cooper it would be hard to beat as far as accuracy.Just a long wait

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get the Accumark. The downside, though, is the weight of that rifle. A little heavy for a rifle chambered in 257 ROY, IMO.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose i really like the Accumark 257 as of right now i'm leaning toward it.I have heard they are barrel burners,But prob wont shoot it but 25 times a year.Are Weatherbys any harder to rebarrel than anything else

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait a couple of months. Remington is coming out this year with a 700 in 257 Wby. Spend the remaining money on optics and a good bedding job.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ice checked with ever dealer around me no one can get the Remington LSS in 257 Weatherby