THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    the ideal barrel twist for .223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ideal barrel twist for .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am considering the Tikka T3 (SS)but it has a barrel twist of one in 8". I will mainly use the 55gn hornady but am likely to experiment with larger bullets for larger game as well as loading down to use 40gn bullets at low speed for minimal pelt damage. Will the one in 8 twist be suitable? < !--color-->

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1:8 will stabilize all the way up to 80gr pills, but still work with weights as low as 45gr (maybe lower), assuming they stay together. Our Highpower club has seen several 1:8 AR's shoot the Win USA 45gr loads with great accuracy, and since you mention reduced velocities with the light bullets, sounds like you have a good plan!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mulerider for the info on the 45gr loads working in the AR's. The rifle is for my Dad but as I have a 22-250 I am keen to develop some .223 loads for fox pelts. I am assuming I will have to slow the loads down to maintain accuracy (esp 1:8 twist)? I have had some confidence shattering experiences with 40gr buletts in my 22-250. They shot alright in dead calm but fragmented in game and gave inconsistent results in slight breezes.

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a One in 8 twist barreled Ruger in 223.

Keep away from the combo of velocity and fragile bullets.

Ballistic tips hold up in mine as does BlitzKings.

SPSXs and the like, do come apart, some right out of the barrel. I have seen them vaporize on 100 degree days with no humidity and they look like your breathe at 10 below zero as they vaporize.

Playing with all those Blue Dot loads I do, down to speeds slower than a 22 Mag, the accuracy of some of those Blitzkings, Ballistic Tips etc has really been exceptional.

I am looking at giving away my 22 mags to some younger shooters in the family now.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote