Notify
Tools

New Smaller caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi there,

What caliber would you guys suggest for pest controle & antelope in South Africa- Impala, Springbok? Maybe something in the 6mm/.243 range? Will be shooting anything from 100-400yds. Also used for target practice.

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Either one would be great. 22-250 also.

The 25-06 is a fantastic round also.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2579 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
243 is perfect for antelope class animals.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the 25-06.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
My host I hunted with in Namibia told me he uses his .243 to take 1000 springbok per year (commercially) from his farm. He handloads for it, but I did not find out what load he uses. He did say he really likes the dependablity of the old steel tube Weaver K-4's, so I sent him one when I got home.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.257 Roberts hits good and is easy to put into a light rifle. Ammo's not expensive, either.

"A little-known fact is that Union troops used the M16 in the Civil War..."

Posts: 56 | Location: Texas, where... I don't know. | Registered: 03 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been told that the 243 is popular, thus avialable in SA. If so that is what I would recommend.
I would use 100gr bullets.
My wife and I have killed many deer and she has killed several antelope here in the US with the 243.

Out to 350 yards it kills them as dead as anything.

Including the 308 [one of my all time favorites] the 25-06, the 270 and the 257 Wby Mag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have recently started using the 25 WSSM and it has become one of my favourites.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Since you are in SA I would recommend the most common caliber that you could get there. If the 243 is common there I would get that.

I would stay away from any of the new cartridges like the WSM's and WSSM's etc. just because of the difficulty in getting ammunition for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gotta agree with Fjold, what is available should steer your choice to a great degree.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much shooting do you contemplate?

.243 is fairly new and "hot." Works at 55K CUP pressures and that wears things out a bit faster. Very common and nothing wrong with it as a good choice.

.22/250 is a bit light with the varmint bullets but many are "fast twisting" them (faster rifling twist) and shooting heavier bullets. Ancient round with great, great rep.

6mm/.284 Winchester has a terrific rep for everything but barrel life. A lot worse than .243. Accurate. Burns about as much powder as a .30/'06... 6.5/.284 should have some better barrel life and the heavier bullet bucks wind a bit better.

For A LOT of shooting, the old .250 Savage (parent of the .22/250, surprise) was developed at a slightly lower pressure, 45K CUP which makes for more modest performance but longer barrel life and the accuracy is unquestioned. The 6mm/.250 wildcat has ruled many a rifle match. Not to be ignored.

From there, it gets wild. .223 is capable, but light at the longer distance. .220 Swift has done the job for a long time, but less common and eats barrels. .260 Rem. is not to be ignored. (6.5 version of the .243).

And with the surplus ammo available (here anyway) the 6.5 x 55 Swede Mauser is another option. The surplus rifles are usually in great shape and cheap. And now there are actually some factory rifles chambered too. Something to think about.

As said, the .25/'06 is another "all around" from back when the government used to leave '06 brass laying around for anyone to pick up FREE.

Grab a load manual and dream. If you end up with a Swede or .243, you will be well served.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 243 and a 25-06. A 25-06 is like a 243 on steroids. If you reload, I'd go with the 25-06, especially if you'll be shooting around 400 yards.

Posts: 78 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
Hi there,

What caliber would you guys suggest for pest controle & antelope in South Africa- Impala, Springbok? Maybe something in the 6mm/.243 range? Will be shooting anything from 100-400yds. Also used for target practice.

Cheers
Johan

6x45mm, nice out to 200 yards, maybe not really a 400 yards cartridge...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
25-06 or any of the 6.5s. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with some of the others, if the .243 is common, that's the one I'd choose. It'll definately get 'er done!!

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6.5-06 might be worth considering.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you handload, what about a 22-243? I have one with a 1:9 twist barrel and shoot either 69 or 80 Nosler Comps out of it............

We do a lot of roo culling here, and it shoots .5-.6. Just a simple neck down, no fireforming required.

I love the bloody thing Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote