New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which single shot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, I have to buy a rifle from someone we've been at war with---we've been at war with everyone, including ourselves. See if you can find a Browning Highwall and don't look back.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like the way ruger #1s look a lot - i also think that encore's are fine looking guns but i can see that some (who like traditional looks) would disagree.

encores are very comfortable to carry and shoot, though, and they get even better with customization (but what doesn't). my factory .260 rem barrell is very accurate . . . only real problem i see with a factory barrel is that the scope mounts a tad too far back . . . not a problem on a .260, but a problem back when i had a .280 (scope bounced off my forehead a couple of times).

if i was just to get one gun, factory, in a larger caliber, i'd probably get a #1

as for me, i wanted the versatility of the encore, and since i'm going the custom route, i chose encore ... and i really do like the way it carries.

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Japan needn't neccessarily be the only source for Browning type single actions - a very American co, Meacham Rifles makes them. I have no experience of prices etc, but you could check www.meachamrifles.com if you like.
Good shooting!

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1_pointer:
Thought this might help. I don't own an Encore yet, but those on the single shot pistol forum state this as the best method.

http://bellmtcs.tripod.com/id85.htm

Pointer - I have a lot of respect for Mike
Bellm, but had to do just what he warns
against in order to get my 25/06 to shoot
MOA. The gap he mentions between the chamber
and breech in my rifle is .003- (as in
probably 1 ten-thousanth minus). A properly
full lengthened case was being slapped around
.004-.005 in the chamber after being struck
with the firing pin. I would almost prefer
a stringing pattern to the shotgun pattern
I was getting due to this and other problems.
Only by using .270 cases, creating a false
shoulder and making them fit very tight when
closing the aciton could I get a decent
group. And what's really wierd is that the
newly fire-formed cases slide into the
chamber at the exact proper depth. One just
cannot make a blanket statement about any
group of barrels. One will come along and
baffle the best of them -- I'll be scratching
my head over this one for a long time to
come.

BTW, I did get a barrel from VVCG, a
Tactical 20. Nice, NICE, N I C E !!!!!
And what an accurate little wonder it is! I
would place it up against many bolt acitons
out there!!!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
All this talk about Japs building guns!! Where do you think our oil & gas comes from!! I don't suppose any of that money helps finance terrorists!! Hell, I can't find any new shoes that don't say "made in China"!! I believe the Chinks helped the Russians and North Koreans kill a lot of Americans!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to disagree eldeguello,
Oil and gas comes to both your country and mine from Arab countries, but Arabs are definitely not terrorists any more than Indians or Americans are despite what some people would say (including, I may add, some on this forum). Japan, however, is the sponsor of a number of attempts at banning private gun ownership at the United Nations and that is something that is bound to affect everyone at accuratereloading and far beyond if indeed it becomes successful. If you follow Drs Joanne Eisen and Paul Galant's articles in Guns and Ammo or Charlton Heston's column there, it would show why I have this attitude about Japanese products as do some other shooters on this forum and elsewhere. Boycotting a country's products is a peaceful way of letting them know how you feel about their trying to stuff their ways down your throats and if it becomes successful due to a 10 or 15% drop in sales due to a nconcerted campaign, it would certainly affect Japanese attampts at trying to impose gun restrictions on the rest of the world through the United Nations.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any opinions on the H&R Ultra single shots? Watch the comments fly now!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you are set on a 7 mag, go with the Ruger #1 and don't look back. If you'd rather spend some real money and go really first class, then there's the Hartmann & Weiss (Hagn).

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
On the japs and guns. The japs have an official policy both private and public to promote the elimination of firearms in my country. This is very specific.

Now I got rid of my war prizes with swaztikas on them but I am proud to own a old Sauer.

It's specific with me. The japs are really out to eliminate my gun rights. That's very personal. So I have a chance to not support that and to tell you that you can't brag about a jap gun to me. That I will spoil your fun.

Now I also try to buy Dexter shoes (made in Maine) and as there are factory stores not far from here it works out fine. I don't shop at Kmart any longer either.

Now if you want to flaunt your jap made Weatherby go ahead. I am not impressed. Neither is it impressive.