Find
Notify
Tools

The Stevens Savage nut case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
dancingThe nut on the Stevens mod. 200 ,.243 is finally off. The barrel has been replaced with a Shaw barrel in 250-3000. If it doesn't rain tommorrow we may try it out.

EekerWithout the action wrench, Kroil and a lot of heat it could not have been done. The .243 barrel once removed had on it what looked like Lock Tite Black Max. cigarroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The nut on the Stevens mod. 200 ,.243 is finally off.
Good for you.

Best of luck with it and let us know how well it shoots.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why bother taking off the .243 barrel?

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScudRunner:
Why bother taking off the .243 barrel?

Winkgot a good .243; always wanted a bolt action .250-3000 with a deep throat and now I have one. cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Some guy at the Range had a Stevens with a heavy barrel on it, in 308... told me it was a 243, and he had a Shaw 308 barrel put on it...

It was turning in some tight groups at 200 yds, with a 168 grain Nosler J4 bullet...

It actually looked pretty good with the factory stock.. although I didn't get to ask him how he opened up the barrel channel...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Roger,

It actually looked pretty good with the factory stock.. although I didn't get to ask him how he opened up the barrel channel...

EekerLooking at my stocks and the amount of free floating , he didn't have to open it up very much.Perhaps he used a Swiss Army knife?? Big Grinroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
once removed had on it what looked like Lock Tite Black Max. cigarroger

Why are they are trying to make it harder to switch barrels on these? That's the real beauty of the Nut.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are they are trying to make it harder to switch barrels on these? That's the real beauty of the Nut.

Too many people (like me) swaping barrels with the seasons instead of buying new guns. Make it difficult and many won't bother.

Just a thought.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it is only a problem first time off...

If you do it enough, it is worth making up a set up to do so.. I know one machinist who did...

otherwise, it may be worth a trip to the gunsmith to take the first one off....

Roger,

if the guy took the excess off of his stock with a Swiss army knife he did a good job then.. it was pretty straight and even on close inspection...

I sure look forward to Hogue coming out with a decent Rubber Stock for the Stevens and Savage...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm glad to see someone else who craves a 250/3000. i did essentially the same thing. i'm interested to know what loads you are using. mine does extremely well with RL15 with all bullet weights. its best performance is with 36gr RL15 and 100gr partitions.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote