Find
Notify
Tools

Moly Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
This post is somewhat in conjunction with the 22-250Rem post i made. I was told today the almost all stainless steel barrels did not like moly-coated bullets. I have never delt with a moly before so i have no idea. Any thoughts?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Try telling that to every benchrest and long range target shooter in the world! Sounds like "internet Based Knowledge" to me. Ignore it, its rubbish.

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Model7LSS, thanks for this post, and thanks to Chris for the answer. I have friends that insist that once you shoot moly coated bullets, you must shoot them exclusively, or ruin the barrel. I've always thought this was rubbish. Good shooting.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Once you run moly into your barrel you will only screw up the moly by shooting naked copper bullets through it but it wont damage the barrel, it just means you have to clean it back to the bare metal and start again with the moly. Moly is quite hard to clean out, you have to use something like jb paste but it will come clean, should you wish to go back to copper.

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
That what I have heard. That once you had a gun that shot well with moly-coated bullets it was best to keep shooting moly-bullets. If you kept swaping between moly and naked bullets you wouldn't get great results with either.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the last 13 years I have used more than 20 rifles with both moly coated and uncoated bullets in no particular order. I have taken no special precautions in cleaning before switching from one to the other and back in these rifles. I cannot say that shooting coated or uncoated first or last affected accuracy in any way. Moly does not make a rifle significantly faster or slower. It does not make a rifle more or less accurate. I cannot prove that a barrel will last longer if shot only with moly, I think it will.

What I do know is:
Cleaning after shooting with moly is easier.
I can shoot more shots with moly before accuracy deteriorates.
I have proven that a barrel runs cooler with moly.
Moly coated bullets do not tarnish.
I very little gets the job done.
Moly fouling comes from using too much, or coating moly coated bullets with other foreign substances.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
what would you recommend as far as how many shots it takes to moly a barrel i have ran about a box and a half through mine with not so great accuracy

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was going to shoot, it would have done so by now. The problem is likely to be elsewhere and not with the fact that the bullets are moly coated. Unless you are using a do it yourself moly kit and something is excessive (the moly or the wax or both).

What load are you using? Have you varied seating depth? Is the rifle known to shoot well with another load? If you have posted this info elsewhere, cut and paste it here so we can see all the data in one place and try and figure a solution.
thumb