New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Waetherby Barrel life
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind of barrel life are you getting using load within 100 fps of max.?

I know I ruined a Mark V by shooting too long and too fast on P. Dogs some 45 years ago.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a lot of gun for PDs.
I don't know the answer to your question. I have a Sako action, shilen barrel custom 257 wby. I have shot maybe 500 rounds down the barrel and never heat it up. It's as good as new, accuracy wise.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baised on info from target shooters sooting the smaller bore fairly large powder cases I would estimate the following.

Remember target shooters shoot 20 round strings in 20 minutes, so they head a barrel up more than a hunter will normally do.

I would think that a 257 WBY mag would hold hunting accuracy for around 1500 to 2000 rounds.
Button rifle barrel might be a bit less, but for a Good cutrifled barrel this shouls be about right.

A Good German hammerforged barrel might go a little longer.

This assumes you are big game hunting not varminting, and you let the barrel cool down between groups at the range, and you clean it properly woiithout damaging it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by df06:
Thats a lot of gun for PDs.

Granted, but when your young, a year outof college, just married a year and akid on the way not everyone can have a rifle for every cause. I was using what I had, the option was a .300 Roy. Worse yet for the P. Dog!

one of us
posted Hide Post
AH

Will I see you at DSC this year?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife says yes< say no. We have rooms at the Magnolia. My old friend and PH from years ago, Franc Coupe' is going to be there, so probably be there.
Are you hanging out at Heym?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I will be working with Chris in the Hyem Booth. If y'all do go, be sure and come by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .257 WBY MK III(Jap) that has about 800 or so rds. thru it, Mostly with MAX listed loads of RL-22 and 115 gr Nosler Partitions. This rifle still shoots very accurately. For a hunting rifle, the .257 WBY is perfect for deer,Blackbear,antelope goats, sheep and such. Just keep it clean, with proper cleaning tools and avoid long strings of shots.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 in 25-06 with about 500 round through it.
It has never fired more than 5 shot groups at the range and has never been fired more than once or twice at a time while hunting.

The first 6 inches of the bore feel sand blasted when cleaned with a synthetic patch. I cannot feel this same roughness with a cotton patch. I would estimate that 1/4 to 1/3 of the life of the first six inches of rifling is gone.

The rifle has never had a factory load fired in it. Most of the rounds fired are a mild load of 52 grs of IMR4350 and a 100 grain Sierra.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Weatherby that has had about 600rds of max loads shot in it. It will still shoot groups sub .5" at 100yds if I do my part.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have maybe 170 or so rounds thru mine-- shoots sub 3/4 in with 100 grain and 115. With 120's she holds right at an inch..It is a Weatherby accumark.

Still I'd say with a decent barrel you would get around 2000 to 2500 rounds no problem--for most folks (barring shooting P-dogs) that is a lifetime. At $45 a box that around $4,500 for ammo--lots of shooting.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all depends:
-how fast you shoot it
-who made the barrel
-what is the ambient temp
-how hot are the loads (velocity and powder type)

barrels are cheap, BUT if

you want maximum life with speed and accuracy ?

contact Scott Null up in Driggs ID and get a 3 groove Nitrided barrel. It will cost 1.5-2x more than regular one but last at least 4x as long.

Break in is a 20 shot deal that anyone could do.

After that fouling is nonxistant.

The 338 RUM he built for me (gun cost less than scope) shoots 300 gr Bergers into 1/2 MOA and when I get anal and just have to clean it, one wet Hoppes patch and 2 dry do the job (no ammonia based cleaners in Nitrided barrels!)

The rifle

the last 5 during break in at TWO hundred yards
#s 16-20:

Once I get the new Sinclair F class bipod and a bigger bag for the butt, I'm sure it will do even better.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Tip burns has sent a couple of barrels off to be nitrited for me--and yes they do last longer--much longer!!!

One gent at Blaser told me the 8x57 R93 they have in their cinema has about 25,000 rounds thru it and still holds MOA.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the nitride? Is it like the Titanium Nitride on a drill bit or end mill? This is the first I have heard of this being done. It has me curious.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote