THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Shilen Barrels [Savage Drop-in]

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shilen Barrels [Savage Drop-in]
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I checked out Shilen's web-site and they have Savage drop-in barrels.

I have two Savage 30-06 rifles that I want to rebarrel to 6.5 x 55mm Mauser for my son and I.

1) Has anyone here done this before with Shilen?

2) Did it feed fine?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never used one of their drop ins, but i've always found that anything from shilens was top drawer

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7.62x39mm Bench gun is nothing more than a .223Stevens 200 with a custom order Shilen prefit bbl.

This barrel has far far outstripped my most hopeful accuracy expectation. I highly recommend them.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can find more info re: barrel switching a Savage than you can read over at:

www.SavageShooters.com

A couple of sponsors also sell barrels including Shilen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Krochus, did you have to change bolt heads?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I appreciate it!

I'm looking into a McGowen or a Shilen pre-fit as I've done some research today!

They both sound like they'll make a great shooting hunting rifle... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Shilen Savage barrel is incredible. Took forever to get it but it was definitely worth the wait.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently had two Remington 700 CDL's rebarreled with Shilen barrels, and the accuracy they both deliver is way more than I had hoped for. They are CM barrels as I like sporters that are blued.
One is a 7x57 and the other is a 250 SavageAI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know nothin about Shilens barrels, but have used a Pac-nor prefit. Whole swap took me an hour because I was suck a chicken-sh*t about it. Worked fine, now that I got the process under my belt, I think I could do it in a third of the time (Assuming proper tools are at hand).

That said, there was someone over on the 24hourcampfire site that had a 6.5x55 barrel up for sale. I think it was a shilen, too....

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote