Find
Notify
Tools

my New Roberts !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took a look at it yesterday,
It is going to be a good rifle, sometimes you just feel it.
I could not pick it up cause i got to the Hawk shop a little late, and didn't want to make them wait for the NEXIS call after closing.
It looks and feels great, its a 722 Remington, somebody refinished the stock, trimmed the long heavy barrel down, added a half inch pad and either tuned or replaced the trigger.
The steel looks real clean. and the weight is about right, who ever did this rifle did a nice job. i have a set of low leupold rings on hand and a clean old 3x9 compact to put on it.
I might go with a 2X7 VX freedom, those are very good scopes. But this old scope might be just fine.
Need to get a sleeve for my col-let bullet puller , as the loads i have on hand are for a long action, might be a we bit warm if i seat the bullet a quarter inch deeper.
Hornady super performance has a prety impressive load using a 117 grain SST at 2948.
They are probably using Hodgden Super performance powder, but i am tempted to buy a box.
I would pull a bullet and weight the charge and compare to whats in the newest hornady manual, i am stoked about this new rifle...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good going!

There is a lot of nostalgic attraction to the Bob, even if it is a very fine performer!

The bigger case 25 calibers don't offer much more than a few yards of reach at the expense of more noise and kick.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!

the 257 Roberts is one of my all-time favorites. I prefer the longer actions for it, but I recall one gun writer that said since the bore was small that seating the bullet deeper per the 722 action, that there was very little difference in performance.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray. i think the Action length would matter more if i wanted to shoot a 120 grain bullet over 4831 or RL22, But i just pulled the bullets from 20 rounds i built for a long action Roberts , The old load was 46 grains of H414 over a 100 grain Barnes, I reloaed them with 45 grains, same powder. I am pretty sure i could have just seated the bullets a little deeper but better safe than sorry. But i certainly had room for the other grain. ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote