New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking a caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use to hunt bunnies and ducks as a kid, in my back yard with shot guns, but never did any rifle hunting. I haven't hunted for years because of lack of time, but now I'm getting to the age where I can find the time(and money) to get back into it again. I would like to get 2 rifles, 1 being the 300 RUM and the other, I don't know. Local by-laws restrict calibers to below .275, so I first started thinking about a 257 weatherby. Then I was told it might be a little light for 400lbs out at 400 yards(caribou), plus it is a barrel burner, so I started thinking about a 270weatherby or WSM in spite of the by-law(no local hunting with it). I have gotten mixed comments about that too. I have looked at the 6.5, but nothing really interests me there. I want to order a Christensen carbon rifle, and i'm sure I would love any of them, I just want feed back on which one you think I would love the most. I'm looking for something for 400@400, anything bigger than that, I'll use the RUM. Suggestions on barrel length would be appreciated too. Also, I will probably start reloading eventually, but I would like something I can buy factory loads for somewhat easily.

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
<mattadams>
posted
In my opinion the 7mm rem mag is exactly what you are looking for. Plenty of factory ammo and very flat shooting and hard hitting.
good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you saying your rifle has to be below 275 cal or above that.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.264 Win mag

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle caliber has to be below .275 to be legal for shooting locally(except on ranges). The biggest thing you can hunt with a rifle here is fox, deer is only allowed to be taken with a bow. Where I live is fairly populated, so they don't want the larger calibers being used for fear of over penetration on game, buildings etc. I would like to be able to go into my back yard(farm) and fire my rifle, that is why I was thinking 257. 200 miles from here, I can hunt deer, 400 miles, moose, 1000 miles, caribou. I did look at the 264Win as an option, but its popularity seems limited. I was hoping a 6.5WSM was going to be released, but nobody seems to know for sure. As for the 7mm, anything I need that much power for, I'll probably use the 300RUM.

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
<6.5 Guy>
posted
Your requirement of 400@400 but less than .275" pretty much limits you to the 6.5 mm calibers. Like someone mentioned, the .264 Win Mag is king of the hill for that diameter. Factory ammo is limited, but not impossible to find.

If you do go with the .264 Win Mag, put a 25" or 26" barrel on it, otherwise you're burning a lot of powder and getting some good muzzle blast, but barely matching the performance of a .270 Win.

I've learned that one from first hand experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll throw some support behind this 264Win idea. best part is, Winchester, until a year or two ago made, I believe, their sporter LT in 264WinMag w/ a 26" bbl. It sold for about $650 or so. If you've got a dealer you go through, I'd ask him to grab one for you.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
Lemme see now, you want the lightest rifle made, chambered for the biggest cartridge, and you have no experience with rifles. I'm going into the chiropractor business in your home town.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one more vote for the .264 Win Mag. But like said before, be sure to use a long enough barrel. The popularity is somewhat limited but if you start reloading that is of no consequence.

------------------
Gotta love that BIG MEDICINE

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the 264 Win. Mag. also. I shoot one, and have never gone wrong with it. Make sure you get one with a 26" barrel. You would only get 270 Win. peformance with a 24" barrel.

My second choice would be what ever makes or catches your fancy.
Goodluck

Big 17

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a moot point whether a fast lighter bullet is safer or not but most would think so.

I would not want to be shooting a 264winmag at rabbits in a backyard without a backstop that was more substantial than flat grass!

Bottom line - these are such massively conflicting things you want to do you really would be better off getting a 22 RF or centrefire of some sort for fun and practice and something truly moose capable for out of state use.

When you have experience you can sell the 22 and the big boomer, handload for a 6.5x55 (85gr varmint load and 160gr moose load) and join in the select brotherhood of 6.5x55 will kill anything on this planet etc etc.....

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses and a couple of responses to comments.

I never said, I haven't shot a rifle, I said I have never used 1 for hunting. The reason I picked 400 yards is because I think, with practice, I can accurately hit a target at that range. I can calculate drop with pin point accuracy, but I can't do drift worth a... If I can't hit 400 accurately, I won't take the shot, I'll take a picture instead.

Its not so much that I want to hunt local, I would just like to be able to shoot on my own property without be hassled. If I only have a hour to shoot, I could do that without any real trouble, just walk out my back door.

I do have a couple more questions though.

If you have 3 rifles, (25,6.5,270) shooting a 120grn bullet @3200 fps, which one will penetrate more. I am assuming that the 25 would with its higher SD, but i'm trying to understand the physics of it all. Also, how well does the lighter faster theory work when it comes to solid alloy bullets vs the slower heavier theory with jacketed lead.

<Big Stick>
posted
Well,I'll stir the kettle. I've had two 264Win's,I thought so much of them,that I rebarreled both to 257Wby.

The 257Wby trumps it in trajectory. All you need in this cartridge,is the 100gr. I prefer the XLC,as it will do it all. Deer do not have a prayer with it and it is simply amazing across the board.

The 257Wby is a laser beam,a ball to shoot and is amazingly devastating on Game............

<Don Martin29>
posted
Which is more accurate at 200 yards, a .257 Weatherby Magnum with a Weatherby scope or an old Remington Hepburn in 38-55 with just the old scheutzen peep sights?

I will save you the effort. I cut the target out of the frame and kept it. I bet that .257 shooter is still shaking his head.

I don't know what to get here. Is the .270 Winchester under .275" by the legal definition?

<Big Stick>
posted
I'd say that this 257Wby shooter,would enjoy taking some of you and your Hepburn's excess cash flow.

I've got a nice little .675" c/c cluster,I fired through one of my 257Wby's at 200yds,during load development. It will stay under 3/4" at that distance,with several projectiles.

The 257Wby,is the Cat's Meow,in more ways than one...........

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Anybody think a .257 ain't accurate, I'd like to make a friendly wager.

3 shoot group at 200 yards with any "hunting" rifle, regardless of caliber against me and my .25-06.

Loser buys the winner his choice, case of beer!

Actually Alstro,
A .257 would be a good complement to the RUM, and it's plenty good to 400 yards plus.

------------------
Jesus is the reason for the season.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Ok Big Stick I accept your challange. As the challanged I will select the course. It will be 120 shots from the standing position only (offhand) at 200 yards on the olympic target reduced for that range. To be completed in one day. I will use my usual shooting equipment and my Hepburn Scheutzen 38-55.

Still interested?

<Big Stick>
posted
Sure,but beings it reduced,I'll shoot a 25-284.

Interested?............

<Don Martin29>
posted
Sure I am interested in a match. I have a range we can use.

But you said a .257 Weatherby Magnum and the range was not reduced, it was never set. I expect full power loads out of that Weatherby.

Come on. I am shooting competition all year long so I am ready.

If you switch to the .25 then I will use my 6 mm Rem International Free Rifle. It's a 40X and will do .300 MOA for 10 shots. But the Hepburn will be really cool. They hold so well. Palm rest, pearch belly stock, set triggers, you know?

So I am here in Connecticut, USA. I have an approved NRA range with 14 positions at 200 yards. Bring your spotting scope and mat.

<Big Stick>
posted
Have mat,spotter and plenty of rifles to choose from,including three seperate 257Wby's.

My troubles lie in my making the trip,from Coastal SE Alaska USA.

Your comments,were thus,"Which is more accurate at 200 yards, a .257 Weatherby Magnum with a Weatherby scope or an old Remington Hepburn in 38-55 with just the old scheutzen peep sights?"

I submit that the 257Wby has the edge in mechanical accuracy,at that range,with even my meager abilities.

Surely must be a way to do this? I've no qualm with banging away with full house 257Wby rounds,it is a pussycat.

Any thoughts on a different approach,to seeing the light? I think I even have an old Weatherby 2-7x scope,that came on one of my Weatherby VarmintMasters,years ago. Of course it was retired,before even using it,but I'm sure I could find it for such a worthy cause.

I savvy the Schuetzen(despite your incorrect spelling of it)style setup of the Hepburn. Had a Win52 so configured,a a play toy.

But you dismiss the capabilities of a tuned 700 a high end S/S blank,McMillan stock,Leupold glass and tailored handloads. The mechanical capabilities of the assembled package,is rather predictable and the Hepburn would weep in sadness.(As we both know). Or perhaps you are saying your Hepburn,will shoot with your 40X?

Naaah,I didn't think so..............

<Don Martin29>
posted
I was challanged and I want my honor defended. A postal match would do it. Postals are done all of the time.

The 38-55 held the best group at 200 yards for part of a century so don't discount it. Furthermore this is a offhand match for score. The big .375 bore has a better chance of hitting the ring than a small bore with the same hold and or group.

I really want to see a Weatherby firing 120 shots plus sighters in a match. Something may break, jam or fall off of the gun. But most of all this is a offhand match. That's what I want against a Weatherby.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ummm.....Helllooo......

Can somebody open a window, the testosterone is building up in here. I don't doubt anyones abilities to shoot, but remember when making comparison between rifles, to keep it between rifles and not between the skill of the shooter. Just because you smoked a 257 doesn't mean the rifle won't shoot, could mean the shooter can't shoot. Now for my questions, I don't think a 1/4 inch more or less at 200 yards is going to matter, but back to the question of the 3 calibers in the same weight at the same speed. From what I have read, and piecing everything together the 25 should be better. With its higher SD and BC, it should hit faster and penetrate farther. Now after saying that, it seems that a lot of people compare the 257 to the 243, when it is a lot heavier and faster and I hear about 6.5 Sweds dropping moose,even though it is a lot slower. With the new solid alloy bullets available, they seem to hold together, and have great wait retention, and would seem to be a great caliber, but most people don't think so, but swear by the 270. I don't know if there is something wrong with 25's or if this comes from 50 yrs ago, when bullet technology wouldn't handle the stress of the velocities that a 25 could deliver. Help me understand.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
ALSTRO: As you alluded to, there is nothing at all wrong with the 257 caliber and anyone who attacks the 257 obviously hasn't seen it in action. You mentioned the superb 270 and most don't realize that a 120 grain pill from a 25-06 has virtually the same energy, speed and tragectory as the very popular 130 grain bullet from a 270. And they do it with less recoil. The 257 Weatherby simply does it with steroids....it is really something to witness the terminal effects of a 100 grain Nolser Partition from one of these on a big deer! In North America, there is an attitude of BIGGER, TALLER and so on. I believe you hinted at the problem when you mentioned testosterone. I would also suggest to you that marketing also plays a big part, along with ego. The fact that a little cartridge like the 6.5x55 is used so extensively and successfully on moose in Northern Europe shows the difference in attitude. I would also suggest to you that IF the slower burning powders and better bullets had been available years ago and if O'Conner or someone like him had waved its' flag, the 25-06 would be in the top three in sales today. As it is, it is 10th according to RCBS die sales.

<Big Stick>
posted
Don,

No what happened,is you opened your mouth,then inserted foot(grin).

You made zero mention of the offhand initially,you made zero reference to a Weatherby built rifle and now you are sad. I don't have a Weatherby in 257. Mine are all Rem 700 based,wear aftermarket stocks and barrels. They were conceived and built for a sole purpose,little groups at break neck speeds,they deliver.

Pard,people used to ride horses cross country. That does not mean,it is the best of solutions,for dealing with that journey.

Take your Hepburn to a sanctioned High Power Silhouette Match and whip up on them boys! It can't be done and you know it.

I admire your stubborness,got a little,myself...........

Alstro,

I'm an unabashed 25cal fanatic. Favorites are the 25-284,25-06,25-06Ackley and the 257Wby. The 100gr XLC,propelled via the Weatherby,is a mighty serious slayer of Game.

If it is good,I've had it,regarding the flat-shooters: 264WinMag(two of them),7mmRemmag(five,I think),7STW(two),300Win(four,I think)300H&H(one),300Wby(two)30-378(one),300Super(two),338Ultra(one),375H&H Ackley(two). I like speed and require accuracy.

Given your scenario,there isn't a single chambering I've got in the closet,or that has slipped through my fingers,that I'd rather employ than the 257Wby. It is without reservation,the most incredible killer of Game,I have personally used. Penetration,is ZERO factor,with the X bullet. I've never found one,out of that cartridge,to examine.

Get the 257Wby,thank me later............

<Don Martin29>
posted
Big Stick,

We are all riflemen here and this forum is the most erudite I have ever encountered. If I got out of line with this challange stuff then lets forget it and go back to discussing guns.

As you read I selected Remingtons years ago as the basis of my serious target rifles. I also killed my first deer with a Remington 722.

My favorite cartridge for deer hunting in New England is the .358 Winchester so we are on opposite ends of the right answer it seems.

Don

NRA Life Member like my son and my father before me.

<Big Stick>
posted
Dan,

There is never a "right" answer on something as subjective as cartridge selection,just the occasional good guess.

Alstro's situation,is different than most. As he's regulated against using,what many would be quick to suggest(projectiles exceeding .275" in diameter).

Had this Topic not stated that quirky ruling,I'd still heartily endorse the 257Wby. It is stellar in crunching Big Bucks and making it look easy and at all sane distances.

Shoot a quality projectile in it and put your mind at ease. She'll deliver and with every yank of the trigger. It is very difficult to surpass,in that avenue.

Of course,that's assuming it's housed in a rifle that can accurately and reliably deliver,that performance where you want it. My favored platform,is the Rem700,mated with a great barrel blank and a McMillan stock. There are other paths to success,that is mine and I seldom deviate,regardless of particular chambering.

We've all got our own opinions and that is the ONLY reason I tune in. I'm always hoping to learn something. If everybody thought the same,what a boring place this would be.

You made good points and I savvy that. The Indian,IS more important than the arrow. That being said,certain cartridges enjoy things that others can't imagine.

It is with that in mind and with unbiased opinion,the 257Wby continues to amaze me. She's one of the few,that will outperform her billing. In a nutshell,it's the real deal and must be seen to be appreciated.

Your mileage,may vary..................

<Don Martin29>
posted
Well what is the law? Is it bore diameter or groove diameter?

In general it's the bore diameter.

Thus the .270 Winchester would be legal and a excellent choice. And Big Stick can use a .270 Weatherby.

I suggest a cartridge of not overbore capacity. With the .264 Winchesters et al we end up will long, heavy bbls.

There is more than one right answer however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The law is grey, and I really don't want to test it in a court with my new toy. I know some will say one thing and some the other, but it would have to be settled in a court if I believe I'm right, and the officer believes I'm wrong.

This is my new toy

http://www.christensenarms.com/carbon_one.html

Remington 700 Left hand action
Jewell trigger 3lbs
26" Barrel
5 1/2 pounds

I think it will be the 257, and if it isn't enough power for what I want, I'll use something else. It would just be a lot nicer carrying this around then a 9 1/2lbs RUM. thank-you to everyone who helped me along the way in making a decision. I too suffer from that bigger, faster, stronger, disease too. If I didn't, I would have gotten a 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have the X-bullets been accurat in your .257 Weatherby?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot X bullets in about every barrel I have. The 100gr XLC,is very accurate.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
What rate of twist does your barrel have?

<Don Martin29>
posted
Alstro,

I recorded a video on the ODTCH (outdoor channel) on the Dish Network that featured the Christensens hunting deer out west. I have not listened to it yet so I don't know what calibers they shot, if it was mentioned at all, but every thing they shot went right down. Since they don't always show the details I am not sure the deer stayed down but they looked really hit hard.

On the Barnes X bullets. Please research the threads here and on other forums about them. To me they have a major quality problem.

I feel very strong about this and unlike this thread on what caliber to pick which does not matter much as there is so much overlap the X bullet can be a real problem.

I would not shoot one in a barrel of mine! Once you get that copper stuck in there you can ruin a bbl trying to clean it. I had to get a Outers Foul Out kit to get my .300 clean. There are many other issues with these bullets too. You might want to go by what Atkinson has to say on them.

However you should use a premium bullet in that small bore on game. But for general shooting or varmints they are a waste of money. I have shot other bullets in the "summer" and then Partitions in the "fall". This is a good plan.

As for the twist, which is a good question, I would pick one thats on the fast side. Premium bullet tend to be longer for their weight than regular bullets for one and when a bore wears the quick twist seems to keep shooting.

But don't fall overboard like Barnes did with the Barnes QT's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 25/06 and love it but I did some reloading for a friends 257 weatherby and it was easy to load for and shot great. I would suggest using PMC brass and get it chambered with less free bore than weatherby uses on there rifles.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking something like 1 in 8.5 to 9 for a twist. The fastest i have seen required so far is from GS Custom on a 110 grn hp requirering a 1 in 9. Does anyone have any exsperience with these bullets, and what do you think of them? As far as brass, this is only the second time i have heard of PMC being made for a 257 weatherby. I saw it on a web page, and it was about a 1/3 of the price compaired to othere brands, but they can't get it anymore and I can't find it offered anywhere else. The only brass i can find is Weatherby, Norma, and Federal. Any suggestions on brass?

<Slamfire>
posted
I prefer the 6.5s myself, those .257 bullets won't drop through my .256 bore, but when it comes time to buy 140 or 160 grain bullets they are left graspin' at straws. That's the advantage of the 6.5s, longer bullets of nearly the same diameter. Once you have learned the trajectory of your load, you can compensate for the distance, but dopin' the wind is something else, that's were bullet length and shape combine to minimize the drift.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Big Stick and vote for the 257 Wby. I'm on my second one and with a good controlled expansion bullet it will take Caribou out to 400yds. The whitetails and Antelope hit the ground as if struck by lightening!!

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
As I mentioned the .257 Weatherby Mag. is about the last cartridge I would ever condsider for any purpose. The market place has spoken on that and it's fading into obscurity. Not that it ever was popular.

The reason for that is that it's a poor design, a poor size and Roy Weatherby is gone. But it goes bang and it's a rifle. It's better than nothing.

For the application in Ontario however it's does not have to compete with cartridges of larger bore which are superior of course.

I have an old M-70 in .264 Winchester Mag. Now that's a better cartridge but whatever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the adds in the classifieds under brass bullets and amo add #6779. PMC brass The seller will be able to answer all your ?'s about the 257 weatherby.
http://www.varminthunters.com/ggvg/page1.html

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote