Find
Notify
Tools

200 Stevens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
thumb One of my contemporaries(old man) showed up at the range today with a Stevens 200 in .243 that he picked up for something over $200.00. He had two boxes of store bought ammo because his dies haven't come yet.

We could spend some time degrading this ugly duckling but what it did at 100 yards on paper, right out of the box, was something else!!I may have found my Christmas toy.

I like the idea of having multiple barrels I can interchange as the mood moves me and I don't want to use Mausers for this anymore or my 12bvss-s. This may just be a great, inexpensive base set up for wild cating and my type of dicking around.I'm sure I can talk myself into it. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that this is the perfect base rifle to turn into a custom gun. You can buy the rifle for less than the cost of the action of most other brands. It would also make a great "truck gun". You dont care if it gets a little wear and tear and it shoots great.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
It would also make a great "truck gun". You dont care if it gets a little wear and tear and it shoots great.

That's the primary reason I just got one in .223. The fact that it was cheap, ugly, light, and had a 1 in 9 twist made me think I might need one. It was confirmed when I saw the targets the guys at my local shop shot early in the day. I am really tempted to get a second barrel in something like a 6.5x.223 or 7TCU just for fun. Or, maybe beter yet, the .204 Ruger?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerJust got through talking to Savage service dept. and they said that they do not sell barrels to be chambered and in fact if you want any barrel change they would have to do it??????????????? bewildered The use of their action for wildcating and such may be a little more difficult than I anticipated. Frowner Madroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Luckily I'll just do it myself. No big deal and in the worst case, takeoff barrels abound. No big deal to get a good barrel, chamber, and install it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, as with any job, it's easy with the right tools. Just last weekend, a friend with a Savage, and I, rode down to another friend's house/shop, to swap Savage barrels for friend #1. Doug went from a Savage 223 to. 204, in about 20 minutes, most of that time was spent removing the scope very carefully (Warne rings, I think). Steve had a barrel vise, nut wrench, and headspace gauge, handy, and it didn't take long to swap barrels. Savage discourages this, only because it cuts into selling MORE rifles, and because they have no way of knowing the skill level of the switch hitters, or the quality of the gauges, for that matter. In any event, Doug shot his "new" .204 today, as a matter of fact, and it shot extremely well for him. I did the same thing last March, and mine shoots well, too. Don't let it dissuade you, if you have a modicum of common sense and the tools, it ain't hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ratwhacker:
Bartsche, as with any job, it's easy with the right tools. Just last weekend, a friend with a Savage, and I, rode down to another friend's house/shop, to swap Savage barrels for friend #1. Doug went from a Savage 223 to. 204, in about 20 minutes, most of that time was spent removing the scope very carefully (Warne rings, I think). Steve had a barrel vise, nut wrench, and headspace gauge, handy, and it didn't take long to swap barrels. Savage discourages this, only because it cuts into selling MORE rifles, and because they have no way of knowing the skill level of the switch hitters, or the quality of the gauges, for that matter. In any event, Doug shot his "new" .204 today, as a matter of fact, and it shot extremely well for him. I did the same thing last March, and mine shoots well, too. Don't let it dissuade you, if you have a modicum of common sense and the tools, it ain't hard.
Big Grin How `bout it Roger? Is that something a Scout Rifleer has? Big Grin
---

I have GOT to get to a Gun Shop. Didn't even know any "rifles" were being produced under the Stevens Banner. A brand new Bass Pro Shop opens in Clarksville, IN on 14Nov05, so I need to get in gear and go look these rifles over.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Didn't even know any "rifles" were being produced under the Stevens Banner. A brand new BASS Pro Shop opens in Clarksville,

Do you have a favorite load for big mouth ; BASS that is. Razzerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
... Big GrinDo you have a favorite load for big mouth ; BASS that is. Razzerroger
Big Grin Old Lindy Single-Spin Spinner Bait in the Black and Orange pattern for rock ledges and fallen trees. Johnson Spoon with an 8" green worm trailer when working the Duck Weed seeds blown to the edge of a pond. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thumb One of my contemporaries(old man) showed up at the range today with a Stevens 200 in .243 that he picked up for something over $200.00. He had two boxes of store bought ammo because his dies haven't come yet.

We could spend some time degrading this ugly duckling but what it did at 100 yards on paper, right out of the box, was something else!!I may have found my Christmas toy.

I like the idea of having multiple barrels I can interchange as the mood moves me and I don't want to use Mausers for this anymore or my 12bvss-s. This may just be a great, inexpensive base set up for wild cating and my type of dicking around.I'm sure I can talk myself into it. thumbroger

Roger:

I am 100% with you on this one! I am looking to do the exact same thing!.....A couple of those, and a couple of Boyd's stocks, and then ordering barrels in calibers I want to play around with....

cheeers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FrownerJust got through talking to Savage service dept. and they said that they do not sell barrels to be chambered and in fact if you want any barrel change they would have to do it??????????????? bewildered The use of their action for wildcating and such may be a little more difficult than I anticipated. Frowner Madroger

Roger,

NO I WON'T!!!!

Check on savageshooters.com... I already checked into this, and their is an entire disneyland of stuff, that guys like you and I can have a blast playing with that action....

They have listed an outfit out of Ohio, that has all sorts of heavy barrels ready to go in a big batch of calibers....

check it out.. if you can't find it, email me and I will forward the links...

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, SSS (sharpshooter supply) is the Valhalla of shooting the Savages. Pac-nor, Krieger, Adams and Bennet from Midway all have barrels. As does Savageparts.com Try this link for more factory barrels of both contours. http://www.savageparts.com/barrels.html

The Stevens is getting a big reception from us Savage enthusiasts, as it a Savage 110 in a cheaper disguise!

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
On these Stevens Model 200 can the 25/06 barrel be set back and rechambered to .257 Roberts?
Is there enough meat to work with ?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting write up on this rifle in this past month's National Rifleman. Looks like it'll be a seller.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
On these Stevens Model 200 can the 25/06 barrel be set back and rechambered to .257 Roberts?
Is there enough meat to work with ?

There are aftermarket barrels available in .257 roberts, so the easiest and most economical thing would be to buy a .257 Roberts barrel and then sell your takeoff to recoup some of the money. If your takeoff was a 7mm08 or other chambering that sells good on ebay, you could probably get most of your money back.

weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
They are running around $300 after tax. And the stocks are junk. And who in their right mind would build a custom rig off of a Stevens action? Why not just spend another $100 and get the real Savage with an Accutrigger?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcatcher223:
They are running around $300 after tax. And the stocks are junk. And who in their right mind would build a custom rig off of a Stevens action? Why not just spend another $100 and get the real Savage with an Accutrigger?

I yield to your hightened perception of qualiy cow paddies and intense knowledge of what constitutes a real DOG bull. Every week I see guys printing small groups with this garbage and they seem to be having FUN.Maybe a lesson you could learn from. No custom rig intended. Oh! I have a very nice 12bvSS-S thank you and it does have an accutrigger. Roll Eyesroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
dogcatcher,
1) the stocks are no more junk(probably a helluva lot less junk!) than the tupperware stocks from the other suppliers! At least the STEVENS is free floated and pillar bedded from the factory!! You ever try to free flot a Model 7 tupperware or Model 700 tupperware stock?? Probably not!! BTDT!
2) Real Savage action? It is a REAL SAVAGE ACTION!! Just minus the accutrigger!!
3) And barrel quality is superior to a whole bunch of the "major marketers" out there since Savage never wasted their money on a machine to "beat the hell" out of a peice of metal to make a barrel!!
The trigger is not the best peice of engineering on the Steven's. However with a bit of work and testing can be gotten SAFELY down into the 3-4 pound range. And although I've only tested one of these rifles(25-06) it has been the MOST ACCURRATE OUT OF THE BOX RIFLE I've tested in quite some time!! At the same time I was working on it, I was also breaking in and testing a REMINGTON 700 Stainless, Laminated Thumbhole in .204!! The Remington could do no better than 1.6" with the amazingly accurrate .204 chambering!!! Not until I spent some time floating the barrel and working up loads!! And it cost $350 more than the Stevens!!! And after working on it it still won't outshoot the Stevens!! It was a customers rifle and had it been mine, somebody else would own it!! And I've been accused of having my blood run green(Remington and John Deere)!
Bottom line is: I think the STEVENS 200 represents the best value for the buck out there today!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

--------------------------------------------------
The Savage action is used quite often for custom long range highly accurate rifles
----------------------------------------------------

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dogcatcher223:
junk. And who in their right mind would build a custom rig off of a Stevens action?

--------------------------------------------------
"The Savage action is used quite often for custom long range highly accurate rifles" JWP475

Didn't know that but glad to hear it. My 10 day California waiting period is over Mon. I think the first thing I'll do is paint the stock a rich brindell brown. Eeker bullroger

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
quote:

If your going to be building a custom gun off a Savage action the Stevens 200 is the way to go. First off, on a custom gun you wouldn't want an accutrigger anyway. I'd go grab a Jewell or a Rifle Basix trigger in the half ounce area and be done with it.

That, and the gripes about the stock are pointless. With the extra $100-$150 you save from buying the Stevens 200 you could easily get a Richards Microfit, or a Boyds stock exactly the way you want it. I personally find the savage laminated stock from a "real Savage" to be a little to plain for my tastes.

IMO if you want a "custom" savage action rifle, the only way to go is the Stevens 200.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 11FNS with accu-trigger that came from Wal-Mart as a 243 and now has 3 different A&B barrels from Midway fitted to it. Although the switch-barrel thing does work, I think that it is only fractionally useful. Don't forget that you need to have a different scope with QR mounts or a different "battle sight zero" setting for the single scope. It IS a neat idea, but it isn't really practical in the field, at least from what I have seen.

I have around $700 into this project and would be happy to get $500 for the rifle, Savage 243 barrel, A&B 22-250 (1-8" twist) barrel, A&B 257 Roberts barrel, headspace gages, and barrel nut wrench.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.260remguy, You've got a PM! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
Although the switch-barrel thing does work, I think that it is only fractionally useful. It IS a neat idea, but it isn't really practical in the field, at least from what I have seen.

I have no intention of taking mine hunting as such. I might but I really want to be easily able to change barrels to test cartridges. I have a number of rifles that could be dedicate to different game. This one , however is intended to facilatate my urge to screw around. I do a little wild catting and a lot of testing of powders and bullets..Let me know if you and GHD make a deal. thumbroger

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Same old crap spewed all over the web...these are great guns, just dump another $150 into them for a real stock. Suddenly they are not inexpensive anymore.

Why is it 90% of the custom rigs you see are built off of a 700 action and not a Savage?

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same old crap spewed all over the web...these are great guns, just dump another $150 into them for a real stock. Suddenly they are not inexpensive anymore.

Why is it 90% of the custom rigs you see are built off of a 700 action and not a Savage?

If you like remington 700's you should love one thing about the Stevens 200 and that is that walmart is now selling thier model 700's for $299. Seems the old Stevens 200 has big green scrambling to capture some market share back since thier own 710 ain't setting the woods on fire. One of the big retailers (academy sports) even had thier 700s marked down to $269.

weagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I just stumbled across a Savage 116 Stainless for $349.00 on a sale at Bi Mart locally... it was chambered in 7 Mag... but it will be a good platform... as I am interested in the WSSM cartridges...and the long action.. I am looking to purchase another bolt for it, with an 06 bolt face for doing cartridges with that bolt face also.....

I wanted a stainless steel action, since the barrels from Savage shooters come in Stainless...

Also was looking at a stock from Richards Microfit down in So. Cal.....Their laminate in Imperial laminate looks just awesome on with a stainless action... a picture is on their website...

ya might want to check it out....I'd also be real interested in seeing what you were looking to chamber the barrels for? some of those short cases you sent me pics of earlier this year?

keep me posted on the results....

cheers
seafire
thumb

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Roger,

I just stumbled across a Savage 116 Stainless for $349.00 on a sale at Bi Mart locally...
Just get it and let your wife know what she bought you for Christmas
Also was looking at a stock from Richards laminate in Imperial laminate looks just awesome on with a stainless action... a picture is on their website...

ya might want to check it out....Maybe I'll just drive overI'd also be real interested in seeing what you were looking to chamber the barrels for? some of those short cases you sent me pics of earlier this year? Just one of those and only because my7.62X41 is in Arizona and I don't get to play with it muchMy intent is to get a 250-3000 barrel, a 6mmx 250-3000 (international?) and a 7 X 250

keep me posted on the results....
Got the Mod 200 yesterday and brought it home and was mounting the scope when I found one of thr scope base mounting holes was buggered. After I finih this I'm back to the store. The balance and heft with the tupper ware stock is just plain nice. There are a far number of sharp plastic points and edges created from hot pressing in the checkering but they'LL be EZ to remove. The trigger is about 6.5 lbs but the place where I bought it has replacement spring that will bring it down to 2.5lbs. We shall see.thumb

Let the fun beggin.roger mgun

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clapWell I got the scope mounted today but it's calling for rain tommorrow so maybe I'll do some Christmas shopping and gift wrapping.HO HO HO.

By the by*** the 200 with it's magazine allows you to just lay your cartridge on top of the follower and push it forward and lock it with no problem. Don't need a single shot follower. How nice!!! thumbroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have not had very good luck with Richards Microfit stocks. Even for common commercial actions, the inletting on the 2 stocks that I have bought from them was poorly done. Although I have not been very pleased with Boyd's inletting for military actions, their inletting for commercial actions is much better than Richards. For price, you can't beat Richards, but their stocks usually need a lot of work to achieve a good fit. That being the case, I can't justify the time and think that I am generally ahead in the stock game by going with a McMillan internet special for $350.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like the Savage rifles, so I would imagine I'll like the Stevens, too. I did a little trigger work on a pre-accu trigger Savage, so I should be able to work over the Stevens, too. Anybody know of a good, stiff stock for the stevens?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesAfter much adeaux, Wed. the Mod. 200 gets Baptised. clap Dogcatcher , why don't you just buy one of these plain wraps and go and have some fun. Smiler

I know I wouldn't be having a ball going around raining on someone else's parade. thumbdownroger

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the same reason that Ford sold a bunch of Mustang II's....... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...After much adeaux, Wed. the Mod. 200 gets Baptised. ...
Well???

No snivelling and whinning, just the(100yd) truth! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
...After much adeaux, Wed. the Mod. 200 gets Baptised. ...
Well???

No snivelling and whinning, just the(100yd) truth! Big Grin

Don't know about 100 yard truth I can only walk to 50** slowly**

First of all as far as accuracy for the first time out I was not disappointed. Out of the box it did not compare to the Savage 12BVSS-S Some loads were MOA or were close to MOA. Some were not.

Somewhere after nursing I started shooting military rifles; the Stevens trigger offered no handicap. It was better than most military triggers.

The real fly in the ointment was the feeding. It was the WORST I ever experienced. Prior to hitting the range ( sound like aa cowboy don't I ) I tried single shot loading by just laying the round onto the follower. This was with 46gr.RNHPs.Worked great. While test firing I tried the same with 55gr PSPs. So sorry Charlie.Ain't gonna happen.

Well OK we'll just use the magazine. What a frustrating mess that was. As the cartridge was slid forward it hit a spot where it literally jumped out of the rifle or if you were operating fast enough the cartridge got caught between the bolt and the action ; that's 1/2 in and 1/2 out. My CZ 527 gave me a little problem similar to this but it really was minor and easily corrected. Comparatively the Stevens' problem is gross.

The only way you could get the thing to feed was to keep the cartridge head on with your finger as you closed the bolt.Probably with a lot of practice a person could become good at this while hunting.

dogcatcher forget going after all that fun with the Stevens 200.The feed problem gravely deminishes any potential problem you'll have with the trigger or the stock, however.Feel free to rain on this parade. Frowner

I feel that many of us were and still are hopefull that Savage will agressively remain in the World fire arms market. Apparantley their applications engineering and quality control have taken a great big shit on this one. I for one hope this is the rare exception rather than the rule. thumbdown Come back Shane!roger snivel, snivel

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Bartsche. Thanks for the update. It's frustrating to get something brand new and it has a problem right off the bat. However that action is so simple I can't believe theres not an easy fix. Let us know how it goes.

Weagle

One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Well I know the easy fix that I'm going to do, I'm just going to wait for one of the 2006 guns. As soon as Savage/Stevens runs out of the current short action receivers they'll start delivering the new centerfeed mag guns. The new S/A receivers have a longer action screw spacing in order to accept the new mags. They might even accept a longer COL if they're the same length as the current centerfeed mag in the American Classic. These centerfeed mags work well with short cartridges like the 30BR and WSMs too.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weagle:
Bartsche. Thanks for the update. It's frustrating to get something brand new and it has a problem right off the bat. However that action is so simple I can't believe theres not an easy fix. Let us know how it goes.

Weagle

Using the supplied follower and the sheet metal loading rails there is no easy fix. Dung poop Engineering. Truely disappointing.

I was able to jury rig the follower ( 2 1/2Hrs. ) so that now I have a FAIR single shot. It had to be a bailing wire and band aid fix though until I can get or make a single shot follower. thumbdownroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, take your feeding question over to the Savageshooters forum and post it on the "Savage bolt action" section. Fred from Sharpshooter Supply is the Savage guru, and he often answers questions with pointers and suggestions. I would temper your disappointment with the feeding with a comment on how accurate you feel it is,or will be. Some very knowledgeable folks there. Don't give up on it yet. Might be as simple as manipulating the follower spring or tweaking the feed lip a bit. From one Savage enthusiast to perhaps another. I was waiting to hear how it was going for you, sorry it wasn't 100% good.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote