Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

choices for the poor?
 Login/Join

posted
I would really like to buy/build a small caliber rifle but just can't come up with the funds right now. Besides, I usually like to get my feet wet before jumping in whole hog. After looking around, though, getting into small bore seems to be relatively expensive between the action, barrel and dies. So I'm looking for some options.

1) Are there any milsurp rifles out there that can be converted to shoot a 223 size case? I haven't found any, but would really like a Tact-20.

2) Do I have any options if I move up to a BR size case?

I'm thinking if there is a mauser option out there, then rebarreling it should be much less expensive. I'm into a barrel either way, but a $125 action is quite a bit cheaper than a $300 used 223.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest taking a look at the cz range of rifles excellent quality at a good price.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually, that is precisely what I'm looking at since they now have the 204. That said, I still would love to come up with a milsurp receiver that would suit my needs. Sure, a CZ will only set me back 5 bills for a very nice rifle. However, $150 for a milsurp action plus $250 or so for a custom barrel and I think I would have just as good or maybe even better shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think you could pick up a Mauser vz-24 and send it out to have a 6mmbr or such done on it or maybe a 6mm ppc.

Pac-nor will install one of their super match barrels and true up the action for 395 I think- new safety (Gentry 150), bolt handle from Brownels 9.00 and a new boyds stock for 120?

Some cash to have something like that - say 100 for the action you have a total of round 600 in it --- or you could just lay the 650 down for a Rem VLS in 308 or 223, 22-250 and be done plus as you want to get more out of it it will be easier to go to the extreems of accuracy with the Rem.

Just my .02

Andrew

one of us
posted Hide Post
One cannot build a military rifle that will outshoot Savage, Rem, Win, or CZ for the money. By the time you consider the cost of the action, new bolt handle, drill and tap, safety, trigger, new barrel and fit, stock, and never mind rebuleing you will spend more money then one of the above named rifles. And you would be stuck with an 06 headsize case.
Learn what to look for in a use gun, especially the barrel.
Haunt the gunshows, pawnshops, ect. With in the last 4yrs. I have picked up used a Rem Varmint Spc. 223(great shooter) for $425, A Sako 223 HB-$475, Sako L46 single shot 222-$425, Rem M700 17 Rem.-$400, and more. There are good deal to be found if one knows what he is looking for. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can build a 22-250 with no problem. But, you're looking at a whole lot more than just a barrel.

action 100
drill and tap 75
scope friendly safety 75
new barrel installed 400
new blueing for the whole thing 100

So you're at 750 buck and still need a stock. But like Pete in Idaho said you can look in pawn shops and find some great deals. I got my Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester for a 303 Brit and 75 bucks and I'm getting a Savage 340 in 222 for 180 bucks.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NEF?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You all bring up some good points. I do have an "in" since I have an FFL friend who can get me a bosnian mauser action for about $75 incl shipping and trnasfer. I also have a machinist friend who has been dabbling with rifles who would drill and tap, remove the safety (the only saftey I trust is an open bolt) and fit the barrel for next to nothing. He's done this before with good results. I hadn't considered the bluing.

Still, even after all the cost I could shave, and though I would end up with a nicely barreled mauser which I know would shoot great, it's not a 22-250 I want. I want something with a little less bark like a 223, 204 or some such. Without a doable and affordable way of downsizing a mauser action to a smaller case size, I guess I'll just keep saving those penneys for a while longer.

Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with an Encore Rifle in 223 or just get an Encore receiver and order a custom .224 cal bbl. Either way, have an extra bbl mounting pin made that is an inch longer than the factory pin and use the half inch protruding on both sides of the frame as a rest mount. Leave the forend off.

Shoot it from the bench and it will group with any .223 made. If you want to carry it in the field use your creative instincts to fashon a way to support the forend using the extended pin without coming in contact with the barrel.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I gotta say, while I have no issue with single shots, I just don't get the whole TC thing. I understand they are well made, accurate and can be quite nice to look at, it just seem like they would be a pain to use on the bench since they are a break barrel. Doesn't that necessarily decrease grouping size since you have to move the rifle after every shot to work the break barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Medford, I have a 45/70 from NEF and with the recoil I get from my hotloads opening the breech and losing my aiming point isn't a concideration. Actually, it isn't as bad as you might think and the price of the New England Firearms are pretty darn good. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about an AR-15. You can build a varmint type rifle with free float tube and a decent barrel for $550 - $600 or so.

I have my flame proof suit on just in case.

Posts: 26 | Location: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I didn't see a max $ figure, but you can get a Wby Vanguard in .257Wby for under 400 at Wallymart.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, just realized I never wrapped this thread up. The company I work for is being sold and we have been up way past our eyeballs in work. Anyways, I think I've just decided to keep my eyes open for a used bolt 223. I should be able to pick one up inexpensively and start shooting immediately then upgrade as time allows. It also gives me a platform to work from if I decide to eventually go 223AI, 204or 20-Tact.

Thansk for your help,
Kevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son in law recently bought a Vanguard .223 .....it is a nice rifle........a local dealer here was selling them for $360 new in the box ; even cheaper than wally world.

When Ruger .204 s get on the shelf , you should be able to get a plain jane blued one for a little over $400........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
medford, The Remington 700 ADL synthetic will fill your needs! They are available in 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 and just a couple weeks ago got one in 222 for a friend! $400.00 or less!!! Will they shoot? YES! I have yet to see one of these rifles that was not a sub 1" rifle at 100 yards either out of the box or with very little tinkering! Also the Savage lineup of rifles will give you what you're looking for! The Remington ADL Synthetic will even be available later this year in the .204 chambering!! GHD PS: The Remington VLS had been mentioned a time or two and they can be had for $539.00 at a lot of places!!! 223,22-250, 243,6mm, and in the future .204!!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for a used Savage 10FP or a new one with the accu trigger! Hands down the best .223 out there. I have one as does my shooting buddy. When you want your tac 20 it's a snap to get rebarrel a savage..you can do it yourself. If you get an older one you can modify as your budget permits. First, get a rifle basix trigger if it's an older model (pre accu trigger). Then, get a stock for Sharp Shooter Supply if you want to upgrad from the stock tupperware.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been talking over these choices with another guy and these are exactly what we have been talking about - the Savage and Remington.

Yesterday, I ran across the new Savage model 40 Varmint Hunter as well. That looks like it will warrant a close look once it is widely available! For $339, you get a sleeved single shot that uses the same screw in system barrels as the 12's (for the Tact-20 later on) but stiffened due to the sleeving, fast twist button rifled barrel in a beautiful laminate stock (which I am partial to). As far as I can tell, the only thing missing is the Accu-trigger, but for $339, who cares? Drop in a Sharp Shooter Supply or Canjar and you're all set!

But, then again, those Remington's are so easy to get tuned up and hold their value pretty well to boot. Oh well, just gotta let this one roll around my head for awhile and watch for a "can't pass this up" deal.