New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying a 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased this gun, with all matching numbers with the intention of making it into a little sportier piece. However it's so cool, I don't know anything about it. I don't think it's been molested but I may be wrong. The dual leaf rear sight? Can anyone help me identify what this is?

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG]http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/clyde-the-pointer/Swede004.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say not a bench gun--a picnic table gun.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appears to be a Swedish, Carl Gustaf (straight crown stamps) M96 sporter built on a scrubbed military action and barrel. The stock appears to have a pistol grip expertly added and checkered to hide the glue line. Possibly a modified military stock. Nice piece, should clean up well. If the bore is good you have a real keeper. What are your plans for it?

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Could it be a sporterized M96 Swede Mauser? It looks like ramp front, leaf rear, barrel swivel and abbreviated stick with knob pistol grip were added.
If it is still accurate, it would make a great PG rifle.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Bobster's beat me! Cool

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I don't know what to do with this piece, I'd rather have a scope but am reluctant to d&t this action. I don't know what it's worth, any ideas? The bore is pretty nice, I haven't shot it yet. I don't see a glue line as though the pistol grip were added. The stock matches the numbers on the receiver.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's worth between $250 and $300 based on items I've seen up for sale lately. Check behind the trigger guard tang and you will see the joint. There is also a little wood missing there too. The checkering hides it real well. Your pic shows a color difference too. It is one of the best jobs I have ever seen.

That is a real classy looking old-style sporter. I'd be tempted just to do a re-condition by re-rust blueing it and refinishing the stock. It looks like it has some nice flat checkering which I would keep too. May need to be re-pointed. It would be a great open sight nostalgia hunt gun for shots under 150 yds.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohier,

That appears to be a Swedish "Stiga Vapen" or "Vapen Depoten" rifle.

There were several grades. They did have pieces like pistol grips added to mil stocks and very well done, and checkered, they did very nice sporter conversions on swedish mil rifles

I had some good info and pictures and old Brochure some where, ill try and find and post

z1r knows of them and has a couple rifles i think also.

Dont cut it up or bugger it. Thats a cool rifle to restore original

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't bugger it up. I'll find something else to quench my 6.5 thirst. Thanks to you for the info and I'll look forward to more coming. It deserves a restore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody's got some sharp eyes. I didn't even notice the pistol grip add-on until you pointed it out.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is way cool. There she is at the bottom. I wish I could read that. Thanks for posting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...Beautiful rifle...I would refinish the stock leave the bluing as is, scope it and hunt her hard tu2

Definitely a piece of nostalgia...COOL find!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Don't touch the stock, just clean it, and a rub of BLO. Original stocks are tough to come by. The front sling mount is really different. I don't alter my Swede's at all. Great hunters.
9.3x57

I have 3 Swede hunters. They are great as is for the purpose they were intended for.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ill try to translate, my native language is Norwegian but I understand swedish.

"change like M-30D luxurygrade.
M-30 D Luxurygrade. Change to extra fine repeating rifle in luxyry edidtion
Like M-30 D but the foreend is checkered and changed to elegant rounded
end (beavertail). Pistolgrip with beatyful ebony end."

As I read this brochure is that someone who owns old swedish goverment
mauser, can get the changes mentioned done. So the prices are qoutes for
work.

STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes, VDF, would convert your rifle (96 Swede) into one of these sporters. I have two, both in 8x54KJ. Original barrel was re-bored. Both are real shooters.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the translation. I really appreciate the knowledge of board members here with regards to this identification. Fascinating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been looking for a similar rifle for quite some time, great find!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't the classifieds, but since the photos are up here I would like to offer it for sale at $325 shipped. If interested let me know by email on profile or pm.

Many thanks,

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. I'll take it.