New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift 75gr .224 Scirocco II
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone shot these yet? I've got a Sako with 1-8 twist that should handle it ok. What are the changes made in the "II" over the older version. Different jacket? Not pure copper? Swift's site says better accuraccy. Any reports? Looking for a good deer cull bullet for my .223. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them in my 1 in 9 Remington PSS. Works great with 24gr of Benchmark.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The major change is no J lock. The .220 Swift still has the slow 1 in 14 twist so you won't be shooting any 7o something grain boolets in one. Two sling mounting points of the front of the stock as well as stock reinforced with aramid fibers. I never thought that the old HS stock was a weak point. Painted the flutes which I understand always makes the boolets go faster and straighter.

They took it away and brought it back and hyped it making people think it could go away again I'd better buy one now.

It's a good gun but do we really need this kind of marketing. Haven't they learned a lot of folks would like to have the option of a faster twist? These people kill me they never learn.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22/6mm with 1:7 twist I've been wanting to try them in. Been using 75gr A Max with good results. Just not very good at close range (inside 75 yards). It ought to be a heck of a antelope/whitetail bullet.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried them in my 22/6mm and the accuracy was awful! Tried the 70gr TSX with EXCELLENT results. A couple of other guys around here tried them in 22/6mms and ARs with the same results, awful accuracy.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx6br,
Who made your 22/6mm for you. That 75gr Amax is a real killer in that rifle. We have had excellent results with the 70gr Barnes TSX on hogs and deer. It wiil shoot right through them end to end! Out to distance though that Amax is king.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harold Broughton built my rifle back in 2000. He had been building them since the early 80's and did the R&D work for Sierra on the 80grHP Match.
I may save the $$$ and keep shooting the A's.
A friend is shooting the Scirroco and having good results. I think Mikes gun is an 8 twist.
Perry, what twist is your barrel?

Texas Verminator

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My barrel is 1:7 I should have prefaced what I concider accurate. The sierra 69gr and 77gr bthp, Hornady 75gr bthp and Amax shoot one hole at 100 yards and 3 inches out at 500 yards. The best I could get the Scirocco's to do is about 1.5-2" at one hundred, poor in my opinion. With that small of a caliber we all head and neck shoot everything so I go as acurate as I can get it. Howard Dietz out of New Braunfuls built all our rifles and like your man has been doing them for 25 years, nothing new like the TTHA state.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harold was kind of ticked when TTH came out jousting they had a new deer round. Harold had sold his barrel making equipment to a man (Gregg) over at Hobbs N.M. TTH talked him into building a gun in the 22/6mm and they called it the 224TTH. They thought they had something new. Little did they know or care. They even screwed Gregg over a bit.
Mine is shooting about .75 at 100. Do the same at 200. It seems it takes a little extra yardage for mine to stabilize. I was telling Harold about this and he just grinned and said "try it at 300 and on up, you'll see".
This was one of his pet rounds that he developed back in the late 60's. He wanted a long range yote getter. What got him interested in it, a gentleman from Britan had him build a gun. He also had a 5.56x57RWS he hunted with. The neck on the RWS case was to thick for what Harold wanted so he went with our 6mm Remmy. When Harold built mine he gave me some of the 74.5gr RWS bullets the Brit had given him. I took my last Pronghorn with that bullet, pretty impressive.

Texas Verminator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some 68gr Starke varmint bullets that are murder on coyotes. You can run them about 3700fps and they just turn to molten lead when they hit. I shot a cottontail with one at about 100 yards at it blew it into 5-6 chucks with red mist everywhere, it was awesome.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is my kind of shooting. I use 220 Swifts for my varmint calling. Hard to beat a 55gr Vmax run at 3850. The 22/6 has definitely seen it's share of yotes.

Texas Verminator