Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Rimmed Cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Has anyone come up with a SAAMI, or more likely a CIP, standarized, 6mm rimmed rifle cartridge?

I am wondering whether a rimmed cartridge having a power level comparable to the .243 Winchester or the 6mm Remington might have been designed and standardized at some time or other.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13656 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In South Africa they have a factory 6mm-303 and many 303 actions are used and rebarreled. It is a good cartridge, shot one when I was there.

There is also a 6mm-303 Imp desingned by Ellwood Epps in Ontario Canada.That is a fine rimmed 6mm.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
236 USN Rimmed, 240 Magnum Flanged, 246 Purdey, 6x58Rmm Forster.

Many, many wildcats and a few proprietary cartridges.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only normal CIP factory one is the 6x62R Freres in effect a rimmed 6mm06. It was designed by it's namesake and is extremely potent. A number of the European manafacturers chamber it in their single shot break opens or combinations.

Dies should be available from places like Old Western Scrounger etc. Brass is a bit more problematic but can be sourced from the continent. I seem to remember the main source was MEN.

I very very nearly got a barrel for my blaser K95 in this being a 6mm nut. Unfortunately they wouldn't make it in 26" which I think it needs.

I also investigated making a 243rimmed by ordering a standard 243 K95 and changing the extractor. It should be possible to make 243R from 444marlin cases but these would have less capacity. I tried making cases from 6.5x57R necking down in 6mm rem dies, trimming and then forming in 243. Try as I might I kept on collapsing the shoulders. It might be that purpose made form dies would avoid this.

Rimmed cartridges are so much nicer to use in a break open. At some point I might revisit this but I decided that my 6.5x57R with 100gr bullets could be made to shoot very similarly to a 243

There is also the 6x72R (I think) this is a low intensity/pressure round designed for use in inserts in combination guns.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Has anyone come up with a SAAMI, or more likely a CIP, standarized, 6mm rimmed rifle cartridge?

I am wondering whether a rimmed cartridge having a power level comparable to the .243 Winchester or the 6mm Remington might have been designed and standardized at some time or other.

There is 6x70R, CIP standardised . . .

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

If you're looking for one, why not just neck down 7X57R brass to 6mm & use all the 6mm dies, loading data, reamer etc. Just chamber for the 6mm & turn the rim recess if it needs one (SS, break open etc..

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
something to think about...the 284 win case and the 45-70 are almost identical in case dimensions (length and diameter). Run the 45-70 case thru a couple neck bushings and VOILA!! 6-284R rimmed.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
something to think about...the 284 win case and the 45-70 are almost identical in case dimensions (length and diameter). Run the 45-70 case thru a couple neck bushings and VOILA!! 6-284R rimmed.

Rich
DRSS

Make a nice deer double.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
In the CIP listing at my disposal, there are only 4 rimmed .243 cartridges plus one .244 cartridge (the 240 Fl Mag). Only the 6x62R already mentioned meets your criteria. SAAMI has no rimmed 6mm cartridges.

I'll second brayhaven's suggestion for a rimmed 6mm Remington, using 7x57R brass. Along those lines, you could also make a rimmed .243 Winchester from .307 Win brass. In the coming years, the supply of 7x57R brass will likely be better than that of .307 Win brass. You could also make either 6mm job from .444 Marlin brass, but it will require more case forming operations.

There are numerous rimmed wildcats using .243 bullets, but you won't find pressure tested loads for them, if that matters to you.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZERMEL:
In South Africa they have a factory 6mm-303 and many 303 actions are used and rebarreled. It is a good cartridge, shot one when I was there.

That would be the 6mm Musgrave

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
What happened to the 6mm Lee Navy? Semi-rimmed? FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Dutch, the Lee Navy was rimless. When Winchester selected that case for the .220 Swift, they chose to increase the rim diameter a bit to match the standard -06 bolt face--weird.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
That makes no sense......... But you could figure on using the Lee data, and Swift brass, and have yourself a Saami version of the Lee Navy, Rimmed. Big Grin Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
You can always neck down the 30-30 to make a the 6-30 or 6-30AI. I've seen them in pistols...awesome looking and should perform great. I love my 7-30.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote