New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros and Cons of Cooper 21??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on ordering my first Cooper. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of shooting Coopers.

I am ordering a Model 21 Classic in 223.

Thanks for the help.

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range shooting my Montana Varmintor... early to duck the heat!

Mine is a .243 Ackley and it shoots extremely well but, is very picky about what it gets fed.

Cooper's as a rule are about as nice a rifle as you could hope to own, and are very well fitted. I particularily like the 60 degree bolt lift, and the single shot action.

Cooper's are never a mistake!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are a tad light for true accuracy work - to me they are more like walking varminters. The triggers are OK, but not as good as the best after market triggers. Sadly, you can't buy a Jewell, say, for a Cooper.

After I bought my M21 (.22 PPC), I bought several Sako A1, single shot, target trigger models. I prefer the Sakos.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Model 21 Varminter in .223 for a few years that is an great shooter. It shoots several flavors of 50 and 52-grain bullets quite well. The Coopers are an excellent deal for the price.

If you buy one, call Cooper and get their recommendations for a starting load.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a M21 in 17MK4 and a M23 in 17Ack Hornet for about 6 years. Fantastic rifles! I highly reccomend them.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a matter of opinion...like Ford versus Chevy.
But I think they are awesome! Made in the USA! Not assembled but made! Gauranteed accuracy...and they back it up. There isn't another manufacturer that you can pick up the phone, call and talk to the shop foreman or manager. They will walk you through loads, trigger issues ...etc..or send it back and they will make it work! I don't think there is another rifle out there that is as pretty. Annies, Sako, Weatherby....nope,not as pretty!!!
The only complaint is they don't offer a 4 or 5 shot magazine in the small clibers....Yet! JMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three of them. The only complaint is when you miss, you can't blame it on the rifle.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a baker's dozen of them, there are no cons.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Expense because you end up buying more than one. My .221 is scarey accurate with factory loads.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Bought a Cooper 21 in 204 ruger and I am very disappointed with it

The length of pull is only 13 inches I am only 178 cm and I just cannot get comfortable with it. Called Cooper and was told that thousands of shooters are happy with it and I should get a life..........

Unbelievable

so I start shopping for an aftermarket stock and guess what nobody makes one at all for the inlet

So called bell and carlson since they are OEM for COOper and they cannot discuss anything with me since they are contracted not to do so.......

So back to my gunsmith to put those unsightly extensions on them not a happy bunny..........

accuracy wise not consistant at all yes sometimes 0.5 moa but not more than 03 shots once barrel warmed up forget it.

sorry may be I am the only one in the world everybody tells me,..

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow.. sorry to hear your not happy. I am 182 cm if I converted right Smiler They fit me fine! I have 12 Coopers and have only had a couple that weren't shooting as good as I felt they should. Did some tweaking and tightening ...changed loads and they came around.
I have made 50+ calls to Cooper in the last several years and I don't mean to doubt you but don't believe any one at Cooper would have said get a life!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one also and love it. I just got back from a Wyoming prarie dog shoot and can't imaging making the trip without mine. If you get the crosshairs close to a prarie dog it is dead. A death ray.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Cooper Montana Varminter in .223 cal is a tackdriver, consistently shooting 5-round groups under .500 inches (several under .300 inches) at 100 yards with my handloaded ammunition.

It's a fairly light weight rifle, good for carrying around. The size and weight are compromises - heavier than a lightweight sporter rifle and lighter than a heavyweight varminter or benchrest rifle. I don't really have a feel for how well it would do in a prolonged sustained-fire shooting situation, since the highest number of rounds that I have shot in one session is about 50 rounds.

My best groups have been with hand-loaded 50-gr Sierra Blitz Kings and 52-gr Match Kings over 25.5 grains of Benchmark powder, seated .015" off the lands. If I recall correctly, the velocities were in the 3300 fps range. Others have reported good results with 40-grain bullets, but I have no experience with those.

I think that the barrel twist is 1 in 14, so this rifle is really designed for the lighter weight bullets (up to about 55 grains) at higher velocities.

It's a great-looking rifle with a nicely-finished walnut stock. I have been very satisfied.

Posts: 16 | Location: virginia | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote