THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Range Report for bartsche - 6.5x55 heavy bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report for bartsche - 6.5x55 heavy bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I copied some initial discussion from another post because I wanted to start a new discussion about heavy bullets in the 6.5x55 - 140gr ++:

quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

roger,
I'm gonna try and get to the range this weekend, and try some of those 120gr TSX 6.5mm bullets. I'll keep you posted.

I compared them in length to some Norma 156gr bullets, and some 140gr Hornady SST bullets, and they are darn near the same. Should be interesting.

Here's a picture of the best groups I've done yet with my CZ 550 in 6.5x55, shooting 140gr Hornady SST. I think there's room for improvment. Also are the bullet length comparison - SST 140gr, TSX 120gr, Norma 156gr

KB

quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
fishingKB! There is always room for improvement but those two groups are just fine in a medium to big game hunting rifle. tu2 you're not thinking varmint or you wouldn't be using those bullets. beerroger

quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
OK, roger
I went to the range after work today, and tried the 120gr TSXs. Started with 42grs, and worked up to 46grs of H4350, which is max per Hodgdon data. The group sizes were all about the same - three shot groups. But overall this bullet didn't shoot any more accurately than the 140gr Hornady SST.

So, I'm staying with the Hornady SST for now. They are less expensive than the TSXs and come 100 to a box.

I'm thinking of trying some Sierra 140gr BT, because I'm curious and I've had real good accuracy in other rifles with Sierras.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Roger, today I tested some Lapua Mega bullets 155gr, in the 6.5x55 CZ 550. I used the Hodgdon data off the web for the 160gr bullet. Started with 44gr and last group is 48gr of H4831SC.

The last group is reasonably accurate, but I could feel bolt lift was harder, and the back of case had shiny spots of the bolt rotation. Primers looked OK, but I'm sure 48gr is pretty warm in my rifle. 47gr = best group anyway.

Here's the picture of the target. First shots point of aim is the center, then top left corner of the black, lower left corner, lower right corner, then upper right corner. All were three shot groups. I let the barrel cool between groups - but not cold bbl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon data is for 160 hornaday and 48 grs is a great load, and the unique 160 hornaday if you measurs it you will see above its cannalure the diameter is less, and that 160 hornaday even has less surface area contacting the lands than hornadays 140. I can load the 160 with more powder than the 140 hornaday as the hodgdon data shows.
My 155 lapua megas load was 45-46 gr h4831
I like useing the 160 hornaday with 48 gr of H4831 though
My 140 hornaday load is 46.5-47 h4831

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
That's real good info. Thanks JD. I've been using H4350, but this time I decided to try H4831SC, since it filled the case nicely. I used those Lapua Mega bullets in 308, and 9.3x62, and was pleased with them, so I decided to try a box in 6.5mm. I wish they made them in 7mm and 8mm and .338.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post! Good info!

Thanks

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIt looks like you've got a good combo with the 155gn bullet an the short cut 4831. The advice you got on the Hornady 160gn.really is good stuff. tu2You may become a 6.5 heavey bullet user the way it was intended Eeker
Were you using American or Euro made brass? There really is quite a difference in head size and weight. If you like one of these days I can test a bunch. I suspect there may be some differece in brass hardness also.Don't have that tester any more ; so maybe someone else ?
claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Were you using American or Euro made brass? There really is quite a difference in head size and weight. roger

In the CZ 550, I'm using Winchester brass. It seems to work well in the CZ, fit the extractor and all. I also have a Husqvarna 1640 in 6.5, and it won't eject the Winchester brass right. So, I have Norma brass for the Husq, which works correctly.

Since I made the initial post here, I loaded some of the Lapua Megas in the Norma brass and shot some targets with the H 1640. The best group was just over an inch, with 46gr powder, and the bullet seated to the second grove. I'll be testing that some more.

I loaded two sets of three, all the same charge, primer, etc. The only difference was the seating depth. The loads with the deeper seated bullets produced the best group.

KB

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornSounds like you're having too much fun. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that H4831 is better with 140gr bullets, something slower like H1000 or Ramshot Magnum would be in the right burn rate Hornady fifth edition shows 100fps more with H1000 or win WMR. I know that the older 6.5s made their reputations on 160's and slow velocity's but hey why not get an extra 100fps. The Hornady manual uses a M96 for load development, but in a modern action those loads can be upped a little. 2,600 fps is a reality in a modern actioned 6.5X55 with a 160gr bullet. Hornady is listing 46.6grs MAX of H1000 i wouldnt be bothered going with 48grs in my M700 classic in 6.5X55 and i just may have to try it out as i have both the 160gr Hornady and 160gr Sierra which is no longer made... dancing

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1640 is a dream rifle of mine. You are indeed a lucky man. I always had really good luck with Reloader 22, although I have been hearing great things about VV N160 and Ramshot Magnum. I've personally never seen an animal take another step after being hit with a 156-160 grain bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I live in a place that's kinda remote. There are no roads outa here. So everything comes by barge, air, or on the Alaska Ferry system. The only shooting supply store doesn't carry a large variety of powder, etc., just mostly Hodgdon and IMR. I can buy some other variety in Anchorage but I can't fly back with it. So, I feel fortunate to find some H4831SC. It hasn't been on the shelf for a long time.

I did luck out on the 1640 Husqvarna, and I like it a lot. Really though, I like the CZ 550 as well. I had my CZ gone over just a little by American Hunting Rifles, with a few refinments, such as the three position safety, bedding, etc. The CZ is a nice working rifle, and the Husqvarna is more for enjoyment of an old style, and no longer available as a new rifle.

In order to make you drool, I'll tell you that I had a LaPour three position safety, and a Recknagel trigger installed on the 1640. I know that's not traditional, but it's surely an improvment. Mine has the steel bottom metal too. Smiler To me it's the best example and epitome of the classic Swedish sporter in the classic 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge. Some relative, or perhaps someone I just like will inherit that rifle.

KB