Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate for 6.5 x 55
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted
I plan to shoot 120 gr to 140 gr bullets from a rifle I'm building in 6.5 x 55. Seems that most barrel makers recommend a 1:8 twist for bullet weights of 140+ grs. Would the faster twist rate affect accuracy when shooting a lighter bullet of say, 120 grs? I'd be curious to hear of others experiences. Thanks!

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For target shooting and birds in top of trees 120gr is a common bullet weight wtih standard 1:8 twist. Even varmint bullets(85-100gr) shoot good enough.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had shoot lots of birds (top of trees) by 6,5x284 with border barrels 9" twist barrel. I had use mainly lapua 9g and sierra 140gr and 142gr bullets. And accuracy was excellent. Velocity was about 890m/s so its little higher what you get whit those bullets but i dont see any problem to use it. And i think 9" twist is even better fot those lighter bullets.

But i have also 6,5mm Grendel with 6,5" twist barrel and its work also great whit 100gr and 120gr bullets so i think its yours opinion what you want.

Stalins 2 biggest nightmare -If chinese learn fight like Finnish or Finnish start makes baby like Chinese...

Posts: 73 | Location: Finland | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRx:
I plan to shoot 120 gr to 140 gr bullets from a rifle I'm building in 6.5 x 55. Seems that most barrel makers recommend a 1:8 twist for bullet weights of 140+ grs. Would the faster twist rate affect accuracy when shooting a lighter bullet of say, 120 grs? I'd be curious to hear of others experiences. Thanks!

When I had my 6.5 swede built the gunsmith asked what weight bullet I'd be shooting? Not being too sure, we agreed on 125 gr bullets, and he installed a 1:9 twist Shilen barrel. When I started shooting 140 gr Bergers in it, accuracy went downhill. I eventually had a Bartlein barrel installed in a 1:8 twist and have had great results, and it shoots the lighter bullets with the same accuracy.

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 74 | Location: Somewhere between South Dakota and Arizona | Registered: 01 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Me, I would use an 8" twist. The trend is toward longer bullets which the 8" will better stabilize. It will also shoot 120's just fine. Same cannot always be said of the 9" twist though when it comes to longer 130's & 140's.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All 5 of my 6.5 rifles carry a 1:9 twist except one, the 6.5-284. That one is a 1:8, only because Jim Kobe talked me into it. In the others, I have great accuracy with everything including the 142 SMK.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I have a 96 Swede with the factory barrel(1-8.5) I believe and it shoots 120gr. Sierra spitzers real well. I was told they would'nt stabilize in that twist, but they do.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Me, I would use an 8" twist. The trend is toward longer bullets which the 8" will better stabilize. It will also shoot 120's just fine. Same cannot always be said of the 9" twist though when it comes to longer 130's & 140's.

Mike I like that video clip in your post, I could watch that awhile....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Mike I like that video clip in your post, I could watch that awhile....

Another good reason that high capacity magazines shouldn't be banned. Cool

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'll hedge my bets and go with the 1:8".

The vids were nice too... Cool

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research on this topic - 1:8 was the consistent answer.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I went with a 1 in 8.5" twist.
I haven't worked with it enough to know if thats a good choice or not. I hope it shoots 120's and 130's well but I have everything on the shelf from 100 grains to 142's just in case.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote