THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Any European Users of the 6.5x52R?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any European Users of the 6.5x52R?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
I would like to hear from our European friends who use the 6.5x52R. I knew that it is loaded lighter than the .25-35 here in the states, but the S&B is only getting 2032 fps from my 21" barrel.

What do you use it for? I've heard it is used in combination guns, are they popular? Is the load available Europe wide? Any other information?

Thanks.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Dutchgus>
posted
All I can tell you (from a book) is that the cartidge was pretty popular before WWII. It was mostly used for shooting roedeer in a combination gun or single shot rifle. Therefor it was loaded pretty mildly. My reloading manual gives a max. velocity of 2300 fps with a 100 grain bullet and 2020 fps with a 117 grain bullet. The original factory ammo with a 117 grain bullet was loaded to 2230 fps.
The cartridge is not widely available at all and I wouldn't know where to find ammo for it.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Dutchgus,

Thanks for the reply.

While the cartridge as the .25-35 Winchester seems pretty popular here in Contenders, it doesn't seem to have much of a following here in these forums.

Winchester factory ammo does get about 2230 fps from my 21" barrel and one should be able to get about 2350 fps with the Hornady 117 gr. RN and Hogdon's BL-C(2) (and some other powders).

I am currently obsessing over this cartridge and wanted to hear/read about any use it may have had in Europe from those who actually use it.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hello. I have a combination rifle in 20 gauge and 25/35 winchester. made by Merkel, with an old Zeiss scope on it.

Shoots OK, but I have only tried two loads so far.

i bought it thinking it well suited to Rabbit hunting.

Jamie

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote