THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Suggestion on savage 10fp 223 issue

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion on savage 10fp 223 issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a savage 10fp in 223 and put a new 6x18 buckmaster on it. Replaced the cheap stock with a Bell & Carlson Duramaxx. I've read about how some rifles don't like this bullet or that powder, but I can't seem to get this one to shoot at all. I've never had such issues with any of my rifles, especially a savage in a varmint caliber.

It shoots weird groups, usually around 1.5 MOA. I've been shooting 7-10 shot groups, but here is the kicker. It produces 3 small groups that would alone would measure in the .3s. The groups are not horizontal or vertical, but more of a slanted line. This holds true for two different bullets with about 4 different loads.

So do you think it's a bedding problem?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
So do you think it's a bedding problem?

That would be my first guess. Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Something's definitely amiss, and I'd wager that it's not the gun itself. For starters, go back and re-mount the scope, making sure the base screws are secure and Lok-Tited (yes, even on a mild kicker). Then check the action screws for even tension.

But I think the problem could lie elsewhere.

I just received a B&C DuraMaxx stock for a Savage 10FP LE-2 and am very disappointed with it. I put one on a Rem and another on a a Savage within the past 6 weeks, and both proved to be drop-in (the Savage did require slight modification to accommodate the Accu-Trigger, but it was minor). On the latest stock, all I can say is that it isn't straight and that it required extensive dremel tool work and sanding -- and it's still not right. It will have to be shimmed to keep the barrel floated, and I just don't like the idea of that.

I have contacted Bell & Carlson and have ZERO response from them. At the moment, I'm not a happy camper.

To me, this stock appears as though it's a factory second or something that should have been caught by quality control and rejected.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
One other thing: with the aid of a loupe of at least 10x, take a close look at the crown.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check to make sure the recoil lug is making contact with the stock. If it's not put a little bedding material in it.

How fast are you shooting your groups? Do the groups change and move as the barrel heats? Try shooting faster or slower (allowing it to cool between shots) and see if that has any effect.

How well does the stock fit you? I noticed a big difference in my groups with a stock that didn't fit my cheek very well. I had a tendency to change my cheek position on the stock between groups. This caused a lot of little groups at slightly different points on the target similar to what your experiencing. I raised the comb and it seemed to help.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you keep the original stock? Switch it bach and see what happens. Mine shoots great in the original stock.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put the original stock back on it and see how that goes. Like Bobby said, I had to do some work on the stock to get it to fit. My first one from B&C was terrible and the barrel was off-center in the channel, so I sent it back and this one is a little better. I still had to sand here-and-there to get it to fit correctly.

The stock is supposed to be pillar bedded, but I noticed that there is some material higher than the pillars. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I gave the 223 another try this weekend. Loaded up some rounds and shot it with both stocks. The factory stock shot much better so the Duramaxx stock was the problem. Good news is that I located the issue, bad news is that I really like the stock. Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with the factory one for now. I'd rather not spend the extra money to have the Duramaxx bedded, would rather put it toward a better stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Forest Gump on Savage rifles:
Ugly is as Ugly does. Sure seems like the savage targets are pretty enough. beer

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote