Find
Notify
Tools

20 - 22 calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted
i'm thinking of setting up my encore in a long range(400-500yards). the barrel will be 24 -26 inches and .850 inches wide(pro hunter). i have a 20 vartarg(16 1/4"long mgm barrel), a 223 rem in savage model 12 so i am looking for something different. it could be a 20 tactical, 20 classic, 20 ppc, 224 Texas Trophy hunter , 22-6mm rem ack imp http://i55.photobucket.com/alb...l52/20Classic005.jpg
wildcats don't really bother me, a stroke gave me all the time i need i'm 40 years old and the right half of my body is about 15-20% good.
the encore lets me have one shot, (.2 and .3 at 100yds 6.5creedmoor 16 1/4", mgm barrel) so i don't think i a bit hampered. i'll let you guys decide on a caliber, wildcat or standerd, and what size barrel!

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should look into a 20 Practical. They are easy to make and perform well. I have been using one to destroy hard drives for customers. It is better than a hammer and a great excuse to be at eh range. (Like I need one)

Anyway, Google it and see what you think. You won't need a barrel as long as you describe. The other thing is that the distance of 400-500 yards is that a max or an everyday thing? What are you intending to shoot?

Cheers,

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
groundhogs, foxes, coyotes, and informal target practice. it should be 250 - 500 yards.
i never go to the range, except that one time, i forgot, there was the other time, oh, there was the time i shoot, and the.... clap

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have mislead you with those parameters you have listed. I think a 20 practical would be a fine choice in the 20-22 range.

I would go with a shorter barrel (20 works well)and never look back. There is little to no recoil in either a 32 or 40 grain bullet.

I have this set up in a bolt gun and an AR...both are fantastically accurate. I like the fact that I can reload a lot and use so little powder, use a bushing die for 223 and change the bushing for the 20 Practical. I also like a bit of speed in small calibers...it fits the bill.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote