New
Find
Notify
Tools

cz 22 hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are CZ rifles in 22 Hornet as accurate as their other small centerfires? have owned 3 Hornets and none of them grouped very good at 100yds. found a scoped Hornet at a good price. Thanks.

Posts: 57 | Location: Leraysville, Pa. | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As accurate? No way, much more accurate. My hornet would out shoot my Savage FP-10 heavy barrel in .223 all day and it has the thin lux barrel. Add the set trigger and I can manage nickle and dime sized 5 shot groups @100yds all day with most any load. I sold the Savage and bought another CZ in .223 because the hornet shot so well. Assuming there is nothing broken or bent on the gun, it will be very accurate.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife's CZ Hornet groups consistantly under 1/2 inch. Has since day one.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting 35 gr hornady V-Max out of mine and it is consistently under 1/2 inch. The only problem is the length of the magazine. The spacers in it limit you to factory oal cartridge dimensions.

trshep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will sing the praises of the CZ also.

Out of the box, mine shot about 1 MOA while shooting what I will call a dual group; it tended to send shots into two seperate groups whose total spread was about an inch apart at 100 yards.

I then bedded the rifle an now it shoots .5 MOA.

I am also using the Hornady 35 gr. V-max. The Hornet is a little finicky with respect to handloading. It prefers small handgun primers to small rifle primers; a common mistake. This makes perfect sense when you consider the powder charge on a Hornet is somewhere between 9 and 11 grains of powder which more closely resembles a powder charge for a handgun round.

The exception to this rule is the use of Hogdon Lil-gun as it requires small rifle powders.

Good luck.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As with every Hornet I have ever had I just wish my other rifles were as accurate. Both of the ones I have now will group at or near 1/2 inch mark all day at 100 Yards. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 CZ's, all of em far more accurate than they should be for the money. I'm with 30 Caliber Mag Fan, I've bedded all mine and it helps. I don't have a CZ Hornet (yet) but I do have two Anschutz's and a Cooper K-Hornet. All are extremely accurate. I load 13.3 grains Lil'Gun, in a WW case with a WSR primer and a 40 grain V-Max. I segregate my cases in lots of 50 by weight. I have to set the bullet out to much to fit em in the magazine but the accuracy is amazing. You'll love it.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Just curious, I have a 1963 ZK465 22 hornet which of course was the original makers of CZ. The barrel on my old rifle slugs at only .223, and while Sierra used to make a .223 projectile I have not seen them in shops for some time.
I have now standardised on the 40gn Nosler which will group about .75MOA all day
Do the new CZ's 22 Hornets go .224 bore?

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a CZ527FS in .22 Hornet. I don't remember the load, but the first three shots went into 1 MOA. I didn't expect such stellar accuracy from a full stocked gun without some tuning. I'm still doing load development,(varying the seating depth), but 45 gr. Hornady SP or Sierra HP bullets and 13.0 gr. LilGun seem to be the hot combination so far. I'm using Remington cases and 7 1/2 Benchrest primers. I tried H110 and 2400, but neither worked as well as LilGun. I think from other comments on this forum, that my experience is typical and you will be pleased to own a CZ Hornet.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i am just wondering what it the max over all length you can load in the CZ clip. i have a ruger 77/22 hornet and i was doing good(till i read this post) i am getting about .75moa at 100yrds. i might have to look at getting another hornet. i real love that round

posted Hide Post
bump

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently checked a letterhead from CZ. It is also marked Brno. I sat that because some people think they are different companies. The old Brno (CZ) in .22 Hornet was one of the sweetest rifles ever made. A good friend has one, and boy is it an accurate bugger. Some people say the Hornet is a finicky cartridge, but I can tell you there was nothing finicky about it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can a gunsmith ream a hornet out to k-hornet without problems?

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody said the spacers limit the OAL in the CZ 527. Well, grid the spacers down. George,my gun-guru,did just that and he loads his CZ to an incredible OAL. He gets 13+ gr of 296 in the case with no pressure signs. The rifle will put 5 in a .3" group.
Every CZ I ever looked at had a huge freebore. I think that's why no pressure signs.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which CZ 527 are you guys working with the American, Lux, FullStock in .22 Hornet?

Also what is the approximate going price for one of these hornets?

Thanks,

Posts: 57 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting my hornet, and now rechambered to K Hornet , and both shoot under a 1" out to about 170m. The K Hornet loves 35gr V Maxes , While the hornet use to like the 40gr Nosler Ballistics Tips. I would suggest this rifle to anyone who wants a out of the box accurate rifle. ( If there was ever one made ).

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My version is the Lux. At the time I got it, that was all there was. I have a .223 in the American Varmint style. For me the stock of the American fits better for use with scopes and would have got that in the hornet. I'll probably get one or two more CZs in the future. I was thinking of one in 6.5x55 and I'd love that in a FS version but seeing as they don't offer them right now so the Lux seems right for the Swede. Just about any other caliber I would go for the American. They all shoot very well so I think it is just a matter of personal style preference.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote