Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 10 Accuracy
 Login/Join

posted
I've recently purchased a Savage Model 10 in .223. What kind of accuracy can I expect to get from this rifle out of the box? I've been shooting Winchester 55 grain FMJ rounds. The reason I ask this is because I've been shooting this and cant get consistent groups. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not me because I can hold on the target much better than the groups I am seeing. This is my first rifle other than a .22 rimfire.

Posts: 16 | Location: ohio | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, RM, I have a Model 10 also. The worst thing about the rifle is the molded stock. It has way too much flex to use on a bipod. When using bags or a bench rest, make sure that the swivel studs do NOT touch the rest/bags. The rifle needs to recoil straight back and not get hung up. My model 10 has had a new Rifle Basix trigger also. ( Bought mine before the Accu-triggers came out). I think the Accu-trigger is pretty good, the older stock triggers left a lot to be desired.
I've had excellent (half inch--5 shot--100yd.) groups with Black Hills remanufactured ammo (52gr. HPBT and 68gr. HPBT). The Savage has a 1 in 9.5 twist and does really well with the heavier bullets. Winchester makes a 45gr. Varmint round (White Box) available at "Wally World, and they shoot pretty good. For handloads I've found that IMR 4198 is still very good for me. 19-22 gr. with Sierra 52gr. HPBT bullets is hard to beat. Hope this helps.
Loner

Posts: 25 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First problem is the ammo, 55 FMJ is specced for no better or worse than 3 MOA, which isn't so hot! Remember, people are bigger than rodents, so that oughta be good enough for the military, but you are going to need better ammo if you want better groups. Try some commercial ammo with, say, the Sierra 55 HPBT, from PMC or Federal Premium, and see what happens. I have had good luck with certain loads from Black Hills, too.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will try better quality ammo and see if that improves my groups when the weather gets better. Also, what kind of improvements can be made to the rifle that would be fairly inexpensive?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, RM.
I think that a better trigger (unless you have an Accu-trigger) would fit the bill. Check out Sinclair Int'l, Midway, Brownells, etc. I think they start at around $80.
Loner

Posts: 25 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How do I tell what kind of trigger mine has in it? Also, what will putting a new trigger in it do for me? I've also heard of guys using a dremel or something similar and hollowing out some of the stock and then placing a piece of steel in the stock with epoxy. Could this improve the strength of the stock enough? I would like to use a bipod on this gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 savages from 223s to 308 the only improvements to them I have done was put new triggers in them. I shoot mine off bipods all the time. Most newer savages will do .5 inch groups with good ammo. The mil spec 55fmj normally will not do more then 1.5 most likely over 2.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RM, Your questions are too ambiguous. What are you going to use this gun for? Is it new or used? Have you owned a fire arm before? The Info you seek can be found in any local gunshop, supermarket, or library, in the magazine section. I'm not dissing you, it just sounds like you need to do some basic learning about what you have got, what you want to do with it, and I would stress SAFETY!!!! Check the various forums here, and I think you can find answers to lots of questions that you might not even have thought to ask yet. Try the Gunsmithing, Benchrest, and Reloading forums here, because they talk more about the types of things you are asking about.

You can also access "Guns & Ammo", "Rifle Shooter", and I would suspect, quite a few more mags online at no cost. Most of these publications have good articles on things like stocks & bedding, triggers & adjustments, gun accurizing, reloading, better shooting, ammo types, and most importantly, GUN SAFETY.

Loner