THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Looking for input on CZ 527 American rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for input on CZ 527 American rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was wondering if any members own one of these.I find the weight of 6.4lbs appealing as a backup calling rifle.Curious of accuracy potential.My choice of caliber is going to be the 204 Ruger using 35gr.Bergers.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good number of CZ Americans as they lend themselves well to the sub.22 caliber wildcat platforms (.17's and .20's) I'm so fond of. I also have a reworked 527 in .204 but it's in the HS Precision Kevlar stocked Varmint model.
I think they are a great value and their accuracy potential is outstanding!
The trigger is a single set that can readily be set to 2lbs unset and 1 lb set with minimal home tweaking.
As to weak links I think most of them can benefit with a little help in bedding and free-floating the barrel (nothing to it), and I've had a few that did better after being recrowned, again real small potatoes compared to how well they shoot for the money.
With a little tweaking 1/2 inch 5 shots 100 yard groups are boringly common and if you do your part using good optics and loading techniques you'll see a fair number of groups better than that with a lot of them.
I'm a big fan.
If you get one and reload I'd suggest trying 39 grain BlitzKings and RL10X to get a line on what it's capable of for accuracy but for fur your right the Bergers are a lot less likely to hydraulic on entry and such and destroy fur.
Keep us posted how it goes for ya great rifles.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsdrifter:
Was wondering if any members own one of these.I find the weight of 6.4lbs appealing as a backup calling rifle.Curious of accuracy potential.My choice of caliber is going to be the 204 Ruger using 35gr.Bergers.

I've had one in 223 since 1998... perfect out of the box, and my son and I have put more than 5000 rounds through it (also gets used in Service Rifle match) and it still puts 10 into less than an inch at 100 with a hot barrel.

Lovely rifle. I just wish the barrel would die... I have a few wildcat ideas I want to try.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 223 Remington caliber. The wood is very nice and the weight is perfect. Most of these in 223 shoot bug holes at 100 yards with good scopes. I have a Leupold 3X9X33 EFR on mine.

Why change the rifle from 223? It will do what you want right from the box.

Oh, I didn't like the scope rings provided. I sold them and bought a set made by Burris. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. I even like (horrors!) the clip!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
What is the twist rate in these 527s in 223?

My only complaint of the 527 cz is that mine will not feed without the cartridge coming from the clip. If I try to single feed, the extractor will not go over the rim, and the cartridge will stick in the chamber, requiring a push with a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzel. After learning that the hard way, I'm really careful now to not do that. I left the magazine on top of the gun safe once, and discovered the hard way that the rifle is practically useless without it. Almost ruined a day of hunting. Had to borrow a rifle.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I did get my feet wet and purchased the rifle.Expecting to get it in next week.Good to hear the positive statements.What also really appeal to me is its lightweight.In winter coyote hunting I generally end up wading through a fair amount of snow.Near the end of a tiring day Im thinking I'll be leaving my heavy varmint rig back at my truck.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ is an accurate rifle. But every time the subject of this gun comes up I feel compelled to offer a couple of cautions:

1. The safety works BACKWARDS! Forward is safe and rearward is shoot. This can easily get you into trouble. CZ should fix this and knows they should fix this. They undoubtedly will when a successful lawsuit is prosecuted against them. Isn't it a shame that some corporations can't seem to take a simple remedial step without the expense of a lawsuit?

2. The root of the bolt handle is inexplicably thick. This forces the scope to be mounted much higher than is desirable for eye alignment in order for the bolt root to clear the ocular bell. There is a shop that specializes in milling down this bolt root in order to mount scopes more properly.

3. The magazine does not fit flush with the stock, creating a "hanging" point for clothes, brush, etc. This is a small complaint, but one that could be fixed with a double stack magazine.

Personally, I won't consider buying one until the bassackwards safety is fixed. If it weren't for that, I would consider the guns an excellent value.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The CZ is an accurate rifle. But every time the subject of this gun comes up I feel compelled to offer a couple of cautions:

1. The safety works BACKWARDS! Forward is safe and rearward is shoot. This can easily get you into trouble. CZ should fix this and knows they should fix this. They undoubtedly will when a successful lawsuit is prosecuted against them. Isn't it a shame that some corporations can't seem to take a simple remedial step without the expense of a lawsuit?

2. The root of the bolt handle is inexplicably thick. This forces the scope to be mounted much higher than is desirable for eye alignment in order for the bolt root to clear the ocular bell. There is a shop that specializes in milling down this bolt root in order to mount scopes more properly.

3. The magazine does not fit flush with the stock, creating a "hanging" point for clothes, brush, etc. This is a small complaint, but one that could be fixed with a double stack magazine.

Personally, I won't consider buying one until the bassackwards safety is fixed. If it weren't for that, I would consider the guns an excellent value.

Stone creek I sure understand your position on the safety but personally it's just never been a problem for me. I've used a lot of weapons in my life that function differently from each other so I come to terms with each as necessary.
I also saw it printed in a post the other day so I feel comfortable in admitting.....I like the looks of the CZ's, magazine included sofa. Lotta different ways around the barn I guess and not everyone likes the same things. Personally I like the looks of this rifle.

The scope is mounted a bit high but to me it's perfect for a carry rifle where an off hand shot pops up now and again. Others don't have to like it's looks or function cause shooting groups like these it ain't for sale.

Your points are valid however and important to mention here cause your not alone in your assessment and someone thinking about one of these needs to look at all angles Smiler.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsdrifter:
Well I did get my feet wet and purchased the rifle.Expecting to get it in next week.Good to hear the positive statements.What also really appeal to me is its lightweight.In winter coyote hunting I generally end up wading through a fair amount of snow.Near the end of a tiring day Im thinking I'll be leaving my heavy varmint rig back at my truck.

Congrats! From what your describing as buying motivations I'd bet your well satisfied. By the way the American comes with scope mounts but if you don't care for them Millete makes a reasonably priced mount for them that has a bit more eye appeal and doesn't have all the little screws.

Kabluewy as to the twist of the .223's they are 1 in 12's (as is the .204), with the exception of the 527 Varmint Kevlar which is a 1 in 9. My 1 in 12 absolutely dotes on 40 grain V-Max's and Benchmark.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
My 527 Varminter is 1:9 not 1:12. CZ stated all varmint HB rifles are 1:9 now when I talked w/ them last winter. The American is 1:12.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Jpat, my .223 in Varmint Laminate is a 1 in 12 as stated on CZ USA's web site. I measured it after hearing they were all 1 in 9's. It is a number of years old however. Sure a shooter Big Grin.

plainsdrifter keep us posted on how that shoots for ya.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
What is the twist rate in these 527s in 223?

My only complaint of the 527 cz is that mine will not feed without the cartridge coming from the clip. If I try to single feed, the extractor will not go over the rim, and the cartridge will stick in the chamber, requiring a push with a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzel. After learning that the hard way, I'm really careful now to not do that. I left the magazine on top of the gun safe once, and discovered the hard way that the rifle is practically useless without it. Almost ruined a day of hunting. Had to borrow a rifle.

KB

I just acquired a 527 in 204, used, but LNIB. Have yet to fire it, it seems to single feed okay but with a bit of effort. The mag doesn't impress me, not only in the looks dept. but it seems sloppy when seated and the catch mechanism is also a bit tacky. Looking forward to some range time with it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One answer to the single feed issue is to get one of James Calhoons single shot followers. Or if your seriously offended by the magazine Roy Berttoloto can fix it for you including a magazine shortening. After this Calhoon's follower would work great and mount flush.
Here's a link.

RVB Precision

While I don't mind the magazine the single shot followers work real well with some of the wildcats I have on CZ 527 platforms that just ain't gonna feed no how. I'm real fond of single shots as well Big Grin .

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
Like almost every one else my 527 American is really accurate. It is in .233Rem and consistently shoot shoots around 1/4 or 1/2 MOA.
Last week I had a visitor from Britain who had never shot before, he shot <MOA without using the set trigger. (2 reps of 3 rounds)

Never had a problem with the magazine or the release. The reverse safety takes a little getting used to but is not a problem.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting replies...

For those who don't like the bolt handle, reverse safety or the mag setup, send them to me. please

I'll recompense the shipping costs.

Seriously, I really do want to get a hold of another 527 action for a project....

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what we are doing to the little 527.

A .222 Rem DGR ( Dangerous Gopher Rifle )

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bitterroot,

That is a very beautiful rifle!!! WOW!
I have one CZ 527 in 223 now, and had one in 222 but sold it. I sold it because I have two other 222 rifles, both old Rem 722's, which I collect. I din't sell it because it wouldn't shoot, because it did shoot.
My one in 223 is as accurate as any rifle I could want, including many custom rifles costing a lot more than my CZ. My 527 in 223 is one of the Prestige Models with the good Walnut stocks.