THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Can a .243 semi-auto shoot sub-moa?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Can a .243 semi-auto shoot sub-moa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The only problem I would look for is the twist rate for the barrel, older ones might have a slow twist for varmint style bullets, or at least that was the case with the .244 Rem/6mm Rem.

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
Purple,

I can't speak to your semi-auto rifle, but I have an
AR-15 that has two different uppers, that are sub MOA
shooters. One is a Rock River 20" Varminter, that is a
.5 MOA barrel, and I have a Pre-Ban Rock River 18" carbine
upper that shoots around .9 MOA, with a variety of ammo.
I have also had a Remington 7400, in .270 Win, that
shot 1 MOA, with at least one hand load. I did sell that
rifle after learning that it would slowly pound itself
into less accuracy. I shoot my rifles often, and having
one that beat itself to junk was not a good fit for me.
I know of several BAR's that are 1 MOA shooters, so
the short answer to your question, is YES, an auto
can be a 1 MOA rifle, but it is not as easy to get there
as is a bolt action rifle.

Squeeze

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
prplbkrr,

First of all, let me welcome you to the AR forum. There is a wealth of good information from many really great guys.

Squeeze has it right on semi-autos. There are many semi-autos that will shoot less than 1 moa. The other question is will your Mod 100 shoot less than 1 moa? My experience is that it won�t.

I have fought with three Mod. 100s and two of them won, the third I would consider a draw. One was a 243, and the other two 308s.

The mod 100 and 88 were designed as carbines with the appropriate stock and short barrels. They were not designed for long range work or for scopes. In the close quarters of the northwoods, where shots are rarely over 75 yds and multiple shots are common, they shine. They were not built for sitting on a stand overlooking a bean field. In my opinion the 88 and 100 were the �next step� (and a very good one) above the venerable 94 for that type of hunting.

So, this is what I have found. The load CAN make quite a difference. It seems as though you have done well in that department. A load that shoots about 2 inches is doing well with the mod 100s I have seen. I have found that if you take the forward sling screw out and put some thread lock on it, and then reinstall until it is SNUG, not tight, and then let the thread lock set up well before using, that this CAN help. (at least it did on the one I considered a �draw�). Good Luck, hope this helps.

Later, pdhntr

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 308 win that shot 1 1/2 moa pretty regularly. The problem was getting it to cylce well. I finally went to nickle plated cases and small base dies with a medium load. Its a great gun to carry and shoulders very well. I only took two deer with it and threw it in with a trade.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote