THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    controlled expansion bullets 22-250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

controlled expansion bullets 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted
I have a chance to get a 22-250 and alot of ammo loaded for variments and i would like to know if this gun could be used for deer also. thanks

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Try the Barnes X or Rhino i .224", perhaps also the Nosler Partition.

I use my .222 Rem with the 50 grs Barnes X for roe deer here in Sweden. It works fine, but a roe deer is not bigger than a usual sheep or goat. If your deer are bigger, be careful with bullet placement - as usual.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, do you know what fps you are pushing that bullet?

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For typical whitetails, the .22-250 does pretty well with plain old Hornady Spire Points, which seem to hold together pretty well. The 55 is good, and the 60 is better. I recently came across some Hornady 60 grain "Barrier" bullets, which are said to be designed for penetration of ordinary walls, etc. by police snipers. They appear outwardly to be just about the same as any soft point, but I assume that the jacket is heavier. I haven't had a chance to try them, but would think that they might make acceptable game bullets.

The old Nosler Zippedo gave me excellent performance on deer, but they are long gone. The new Partition should work beautifully, and is likely your most dependable choice.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a deer lost with off-the-shelf soft point factory loads from a .223 or .22-250. Some hairy-chested arm-chair expert is going to scream to high heavens that a .22 centerfire isn't appropriate for deer. If someone doesn't want to use a .22 for deer, that's just fine, but don't pass water on my leg and try to convince me that it's raining.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load my 22-250 with 70 gr bullets from speer. You can load them to 3150 fps. I shoot the deer in the neck.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you guys about the .22/250 being a deer slayer...and the .223 as well for that matter.

Neither gun is good for an end to end shot, starting from the tail end first. But any other way you want to throw them at a deer, they are deadly. And I would toss the little 222 into the mix as well.

It was the first of the little hotrod .22 calibers a lot of us got to try on deer first and I can tell you for sure even this little guy will cut down deer like a death ray. I never shot anything but the regular 55 gr Soft Point and never lost a deer or know anyone who ever lost a deer with this combination.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22-250 can be used for deer with good results!! Better results than can be expected from some "legal" chamberings in this state!! The 30 Carbine is legal in VA but the 22-250, Swift, 222MAG(the next one that that one kills won't be the first!!!) .223 are not! Talk about having their heads up their butts.......what are they thinking!???? Now would Iwant a 22-250 for the big bears?.......NO!!!! But I'm not going to shoot a bull in the ass with a BB Gun and expect him to fall!!!! The 22-250 in the hands of a capable rifleman will kill any damn deer out there "DRT...dead right there" if you do your part!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote