THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Please help....260 or 6.5-284?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help....260 or 6.5-284?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
I am in the USAF, currently deployed. But before I left I got my wife her christmas gift, new washer/dryer/stove. So when I get back its new rifle time. I have really been looking at the .260 or the 6.5-284, and cant decide on which one. Iam toying with the idea doing this in a Ruger #1. But a bolt would be just fine. I dont target shoot competitively, yes it would be a deer rifle. I do reload. MOST of my hunting distances are no more than 300yrds. Is there any difference in recoil between the two? Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Just cant make my mind up.........

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest difference between the two is the .284 case holds more powder. More powder = more velocity = more recoil. As you reload, you can compensate but the larger case will consume more powder for the same velocity. With your limit at 300 yards, the .260 would be more than adequate and factory rifle offerings would be better. If you run across a great deal on the 6.5-284 then I'd grab it otherwise I'd go .260. Of course if you're going Ruger #1 then you could consider the 6.5x55 too. In single shots, case length matters less and in the #1, the handloaded performace would most likely split the difference.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The .260 will do just fine.....about the 6.5-.284, if I was to go the wildcat route, I'd be looking to the 6.5-06

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
forgot one more question....if I chose the .260 what would be the optimum barrel length? For hunting, iam ok with something as long as 26inches. I just havent read anything talking about barrel length for these two calibers....thanks

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
With a 6,5-284 NORMA you will be able to get a really flat shooting rifle. You will be able to get brass from Hornady, Norma or Lapua. You can get anything from 6,5X55 velocity to loads that are not far behind a 264 win mag.

The caliber is not a wildcat anymore, cases, ammo and components are made. For me it's better to download a hot cartridge than trying to push the envelope and a small case

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiplash,

First of all thank you for your service to our country.

The rifle is more important than the cartridge but of course we like personal cartridges and something that fills a niche keeps us very interested.

Most think of a Ruger #1 with a long barrel as some perfect cannon that will reach way out. This they can be but keep in mind that going to a non stock cartridge on that action will run the cost way up. And if your action is one of the newer ones it will need trigger work and the hammer may as well be lightened. Then there is the hangar and to free float or not free float the forened.

So if you expect a gilt edge rifle then the easy way out time wise would be to free up a $grand and send it to a CPR rifles for instance and get it done right. Keep in mind however that the #1S types end up quite heavy and the the extractor may not work too well on a rebated rim like the 284 case has.

Take a look at a Kimber 84M and see it that is something that interests you. I just got the Classic model in 260 Rem and it's the most accurate sporter that I have ever owned. They weigh only six pounds and come with a Decelarator pad, free floating, pillars, glassed, match chamber, air gaged barrel, Mauser type action, 8-40 base screws, grade "A" wood, no border checkering and it's all made in the USA!

www.kimberamerica.com/84m.php

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote