THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Winchester M 70 WallyWorld specials

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M 70 WallyWorld specials
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
Apparently WalMart is going to close the gun depts out of a large number of stores sometime this year. Some of the stores have already begun to take "local" markdowns on scopes, and I was digging around the DFW area earlier this week looking for such a steal of a deal. Found nothing I would buy, and wide disparities in the markdowns...but I did find a store that has a dozen M70's in a range of calibers with most of them at the regular retail "for that location" of $398. However...they have 1 each in a WSSM, a whatever you call it 22 and a 243 at $299 on the inventory price list.
These are buried in the stock room and have never been displayed so I am not sure exactly what model and features they are, and the Dept Mgr, as typical, has only had the job 3 weeks and had no idea what the guns even are...just that he will only sell them at whatever Bentonville has on his computer's inventory list.
Right now I am so busy I have not been able to go pick up a new already paid for CZ 22-250...but the idea of a M70 @ $299 is driving me nutz! I assume these are Pushfeed, matte blue, black synthetic stocks with no floor plate ...but which one to buy since I can't afford both is the question.

With the new 22-250 gtetting closer to being picked up and a much loved Tikka WTHunter 270 the next nearest gun in the rack I am leaning towards putting the 243 WSSM in layaway...any thoughts, insight into the differences in cartridges or comments one way or the other would be appreciated.

There are 10 guns in larger calibers at the higher price, ranging from 270WCF, 270WSM 7WSM,30'06 and 300WSM..but the the poor DMgr has no idea when, how much, or nuthin' about it if there is going to be a price break from the $398 regular retail.

My finances should be in better shape to buy more than a couple, even to use as trade bait or donor victims for a project, in a couple months ... but $299 for a Model 70 right now???? back to peanut butter and sardine sammiches I guess!!!
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked a friend that works in Walmart sporting goods about the close outs and they are not stopping the sale of firearms but reducing stuff that has been on inventory too long. Example is a Mod 74 30-30 he got for $50 because they had it for 4 yrs.
Good Luck and will probably be luck if you find something you like before someone else stumbles across it.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also remember that Wally World has some real easy to deal with LayAway policies...

So if you don't have cash to pick it up right away it likely isn't a problem...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote