New
Find
Notify
Tools

who makes the best AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting ready to puchase my first AR-15.

Question:
Who do you believe produces the highest quality AR?

Choices:
Bushmaster
Rock River Arms
Armalite
DPMS
other(please specify)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of these will do. It's a lot like the Chevy vs. Ford debates with the Mopar crowd chiming in.
I currently prefer the RockRiver. But own a Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Armalite, And an Olympic Arms as well.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot frequently Colts, but would own any of the top three you listed in a heartbeat, and would take a DPMS for a test spin. Many also say Stag isn't so bad either...

Pays your money and takes your chance.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My experience with Bushmaster is extremely poor...at least in terms of them standing behind the accuracy of their product. I bought one of their top of the line fluted barrel Varmint rifles and it would not shoot better than about 3" 3-shot groups with ANYTHING. so I sent it back to them. They also got about 3" 3-shot groups with it, but returned it to me with no work done on it.

I had explained to them in advance (before sending it back) that it has been professionally re-crowned because it would not shoot, and that we had wanted to save the hassle for both us and Bushmaster if all it needed was re-crowning. they said to go ahead and send it in. I did....and then after they fired groups with it (which they did send back to me with the rifle, so I know just how bad THEIR groups were)...they just marked it "Not our crown" and sent it back with no work done on it.

Anyway, I did finally get it to shoot well by fire-lapping the barrel, so it was not the new crown, but was their barrel which was at fault.

So, no more Bushmasters for me, ever. Certainly have never had that sort of service (or lack of) from Rock River.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do.

The only real important part about the lower is the trigger. Get a Geiselle, and adjust to taste.

You will need an upper receiver made from a billet. The best available are from Larue Tactical.

Krieger or Lilja barrel, depending on wether you like cut rifled or button rifled. Bolt matched to the barrel. Either way, the barrel should be profiled by Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering. The chamber you choose is imprtant. I favor the "Wylde" chamber dimensions. It is accurate, AND reliaable.

Some people like Smith or Young "National Match" bolt carriers. I don't worry about that. You need to play around with various brands of buffer springs and buffer weights to get harmonics that please you.

A free floating forearm is necessary. I favor Larue Tactical, but there is nothing the matter with Knight's Armament, Daniel Defense, SniperX, J-P, or Troy. Yankee Hill is a no go.

Your choice of stock and pistol grip is a personal matter. For a precision type rifle I like the Sierra or Ergo grips. Others like the Magpul "MIAD" grip.

The best scope mount is the Larue Tactical #11 model.

Schmidt and Bender makes the best AR scope, IMO.

The above will run about $2,200.00 for the rifle, plus the same for the scope.

It will run, day in and day out.
It will shoot more accurately than all but a few people in this country.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ultimate is to do what lawndart says, but thats the case with any rifle. my preference leans towards JP arms, but the is so many outfits today building ar's and making parts for them that it becomes confusing to anyone. The good part is that i see very few bad ones.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River varmint version. First trip to tht range it shoot 10 shot groups of surplus ammo in 1.25-1.5" groups. Tried some quality factory and 10 shot groups were sub MOA. I've had some 5 shot groups with handloaded Noster 69s that were sub .5MOA. The trigger is a nice 2 stag with a 3.5# break from the factory.

I have no complaints.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You should look into the "Gator" by Clark Custom, they have a 1/2 moa gaurantee. I personally prefer bolt rifles but, Have several buddies that are into ARs pretty heavy. The Gator is a fine shooting rifle as well as DPMS. A good friend has a DPMS chambered in 223 that will easily break clay pigeons consistently at 225 yards.

The Clark's are local here and they have a pretty good rep.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 20 March 2007 10:51
My experience with Bushmaster is extremely poor...at least in terms of them standing behind the accuracy of their product. I bought one of their top of the line fluted barrel Varmint rifles and it would not shoot better than about 3" 3-shot groups with ANYTHING. so I sent it back to them. They also got about 3" 3-shot groups with it, but returned it to me with no work done on it.

I've never heard of a Bushmaster Target model that wouldn't shoot sub MOA !. I own # 3 right out of the box with Hand loads , mind you all were well with in .50 cent coverage .

I know they're supposed to like heavier projectiles with a 1:9 twist . I have one which is my favorite it absolutely dislikes anything above 70 grains . Loves 52 -62 grains with .315" groups on a regular basis !. Five shot groups single hole . With Bl C-2 no less .
I shot some Winchester factory 55 grain out of it . Dam thing climbed high to the left an strung out like a stringy jack rabbit. Must have been 1.5 - 2.25 " groups .

Maybe it has something to do with when I purchased them ?. Been a while back now . salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

Who would you have assemble the rifle?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
500grs,
Mr. Dart seems to think he does. Wink

AR-15's are not hard to build, if you can install a hot water heater in your home, you too can build one.

The original thread asks who builds the best but doesn't define what is used to determine "best". Colt puts together a good gun when they decide they're in the gun business. Bushmaster does a good job with their recent guns. Rock River does a good job. DPMS has great parts, but I've never played with a complete factory gun from them.
Armalite and S&W "look" like good rifles, but no body has brought one to our range to play. Wink

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RickR, as far as "best", what I had in mind was accuracy and reliability. S&W is out of the question and so is Colt, unless I come across on of their older models.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Molar1

One of the guys I work with has had great fun shooting a Rock River gun in matches, he's a excellent shot and the gun hasn't held him back. We've also had several deputies using RR carbines as patrol rifles and they seem to be as reliable as any other well made AR.

I still agree with Lawndart, if you have any mechanical abillity, use quality parts and a bit of care it's hard to go wrong building your own.

Have fun Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had no difficulty with Colt and Bushy ARs. The most accurate AR I own is a Bushy with a military heavy barrel 1 in 9 twist. It likes Federal 69 gr Match ammo and delivers .4" groups when I can shoot well.

My other ARs are more for fun than that one ;>Wink

Building your own is very straight forward as Rick R suggests.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a problem with a Colt AR.

I have seen around 200 Rock Rivers on the range.
The only problem with them was a few with The firing pin retaining pin being to large to easialy reinsert after cleaning. They have functioned fine.

If I was wanting one that was VERY accurate I would get a Les Baer.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Colt about 7 years ago it was nice, very accurate. Now have a Armalite M15a4, it is A little better, but loud with a break on it. I don't know why this was installed, I am looking to having a new barrel. I don't mind the break on the range but I like to take some local varmits and that ringing is painful at best. I have shot a few Bushmasters and liked them as well. All of these will print groups on par with most of my bolt rifles out to 300yds.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Many of your top Service as well as Match shooters using the AR15 will be using one built by Compass Lake Engineering in Florida. Check out their web site and ask around at your local rifle club/range the reputation of Compass Lake products/rifles. Excellent equipment. Good Luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any votes for a Stag Arms....they build a great AR. thumb

If a guy is thinking about buying an AR, easier to build yourself and choose the parts you want to right off the bat. Cheaper than buying one off the rack too...

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
www.oberlandarms.com

is the premium manufacter in Germany.
High Precision, Lothar walther barrel. High price.

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the question was originally " Who Makes the best AR " ?. So I would assume that the person who posted the question ( Molar 1 ) was not considering building it . Of course on the other hand she wore a glove !. In other words assumptions are the mothers of all screw ups !.

If Molar 1, is not considering building his own . Then if money is no object ?.I would tend to agree with N E that Les Baer would more than likely fit the ticket. I'm sure there are several more than capable custom assemblers out there using what ever manufactured parts who would do an admirable job as well !.

As I don't own a Rock River Arms or an Armalite or even a Les Baer , I cant' speak on them . I do how ever own Colts and BushMasters . For accuracy at least in my case BushMaster is hands above the Colts !. I got targets to back those words up !. It's like shooting factory or surplus ammo as opposed to hand loads when viewed side by side !!!. salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't find any fleas on John Holiger and White Oak Armament. He is one of our members also.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple bushmasters and a colt. The bushy's out shot the colt everytime. However, my next one will be either a les baer or an accuracy systems rifle. I've handled and shot both, and was amazed. .5 moa with premium factory ammo out of either. The $2000 price tags are steep, but well worth it imo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Double Post, Oops Eeker

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawndart,

[quote]

Me. If not me, then John Holliger as noted above. He is the best.

I would be happy to bring the tools down to SLC sometime and show you exactly how it is done. You can put one together with a nail, a hammer and a plumber's wrench, but having the right little tools makes it soooooooo much easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had alot of problems with Bushmaster AR-15's. (broken bolts). So, we went back to the Colts, My favorite model is the SP1 from Colt.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having owned Bushmaster, Rock River and DPMS I must say they are all good!

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thankfully I've never broken a bolt !. I have how ever busted a couple of firing pins . That is until I got smart and bought a GOOD ONE !. Other than that i've had no function issues with either AR brand . I think we can sum this all up in a nut shell . Buy the Best you can afford and Practice Practice !.

Lawn Dart ; Rumor has it the Militia is gathering at Sand Point until the Canucks can arm their border guards !. Any truth to this ??.

Just kidding !. Although I do find it rather odd they have waited all this time and are now doing so ??. Makes me kind of wonder what some ones not saying !. EH ???...

salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
[QUOTE]Lawndart,

quote:

Me. If not me, then John Holliger as noted above. He is the best.

I would be happy to bring the tools down to SLC sometime and show you exactly how it is done. You can put one together with a nail, a hammer and a plumber's wrench, but having the right little tools makes it soooooooo much
easier.

LD, I will surely take you up on that offer! Thank you!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
The best is pretty subjective at best in the tangled world of the AR. not going there

This is my first AR. Not the most expensive.
Certainly not cheap either

Stag A2 lower
CMMG upper

Shoots a whole lot better than I do

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote